Minimap switching

Handless

Reaction score
Hey,

Since none of my minimap questions before has been solved, i decided to post ask one more question about minimaps. This time it is pretty simple and the answer is probably just one word:

Can you switch the minimap while playing and/or have multiply minimaps in one map?

Thanks,
Handless

Sessional

Reaction score
The mini-map is exactly that, a mini-map. It displays a small version of EVERYTHING on the map, there is no way to change what it displays, all that you can do is add a picture, which you can't change in the game either.

Handless

Reaction score
Thanks.

So there is absolutely no way to show normal minimap in some parts of the map and black minimap in other parts?

Just wanna make sure before doing anything big..

Sessional

Reaction score
Not a single way to do it, blizzard doesn't allow us to modify the mini-map at all really. You get the picture, and that's it.

Silver

Reaction score
Well it is possible.
Maps like Pyramid Escape or Archmage Academy constantly switch what the minimap displays as they go to a new minimap. It's probably somewhere in the Camera or the Cinematic section, but I've never checked it out myself.

Handless

Reaction score
I just checked pyramid excape... And it really seems to be changing the minimap.

Does anyone have any idea how that is done?

jwallstone

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out how to do the same thing. I have the exact same issue as you, with the crazy minimap that comes from restricting camera bounds.

One idea, which I can't test until later tonight, is the function:
JASS:
native SetAltMinimapIcon            takes string iconPath returns nothing

It lets you specifiy a path to an icon, I believe for neutral buildings like shops. One possibility is to place a dummy neutral shop in the middle of each region to which you would want to restrict the camera. Then just specify a custom image file to fill up the whole minimap when you restrict the camera.

Legacyspy

Reaction score
I thought games like pyramid escape just change the camera bounds which in turn change the minimap.

jwallstone

Reaction score
That's the point. You make the icon a picture of how the minimap is supposed to look. If you want it all black, you make an entirely black image the size of the minimap and use this command to load it.

I saw what the other guy posted in the thread, but that obviously isn't going to work. You can't just set it to a nonexistent picture, that does nothing. You have to use an image the size that a minimap is supposed to be. Search around, there are tutorials on importing custom minimaps that will tell you what the size should be.

Is this going to cover up your units' dots on the minimap? I don't know. My impression was that you can still see units over the default neutral building icon in the normal game, so this may work. Give it a shot.

Handless

Reaction score
Im sorry if i misunderstood your idea, but..

I checked it already out and it isnt much of a use, i guess.
I mean, unless the icon is 16x16 it wont show, which really sucks.

And you need another function to turn the special icon on/off for the unit..

But thanks anyways!

Edit: you can find both of those functions in GUI, too. It's under the neutral building section..

jwallstone

Reaction score
No, you understood it right I think. Too bad it won't work for greater than 16x16. I didn't really know if it'd work, but it was an idea that popped into my head.

Sessional

Reaction score
I believe that a mini-map icon is a display that will show up on the mini-map instead of another specific thing. Such as the 'white dot' for you user owned peoples.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.