Health Richard Scolyer: Top doctor remains brain cancer-free after a year after undergoing a world-first treatment for glioblastoma

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
The esteemed pathologist's experimental therapy is based on his own pioneering research on melanoma.

Prof Scolyer's subtype of glioblastoma is so aggressive most patients survive less than a year.

But on Tuesday the 57-year-old announced his latest MRI scan had again showed no recurrence of the tumour.

"To be honest, I was more nervous than I have been for any previous scan," he told the BBC.

"I'm just thrilled and delighted... couldn't be happier."

Prof Scolyer is one of the country's most respected medical minds, and was this year named Australian of the Year alongside his colleague and friend Georgina Long, in recognition of their life-changing work on melanoma.

As co-directors of the Melanoma Institute Australia, over the past decade the pair's research on immunotherapy, which uses the body's immune system to attack cancer cells, has dramatically improved outcomes for advanced melanoma patients globally. Half are now essentially cured, up from less than 10%.

It's that research that Prof Long, alongside a team of doctors, is using to treat Prof Scolyer - in the hope of finding a cure for his cancer too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.