Should human cloning be allowed?

Should human cloning be allowed?

• Total voters

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
why does everyone say our planet is overpopulated? where's the proof?

Anyways I say no. If the experiances make the person who they are, if you clone someone they won't be the same person, they'll just look the same. I doubt we'll somehow have residual memory from cloning.

Kawiz Haderach anyone?

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score

Anyways I say no. If the experiances make the person who they are, if you clone someone they won't be the same person, they'll just look the same. I doubt we'll somehow have residual memory from cloning.

Kawiz Haderach anyone?

Lets just say that we increased the population dramatically over the years.

worldpop.jpg

The fancy lines don't lie :eek:

MasterOfABCs

Unacceptable!
Reaction score
Yeah, i voted yes.

If I could have a clone of my self I'd get one.

Then of course, I'd move into the middle of nowhere and music my life away.

Cloned me's would be the life...

Yes, yes, and entire band of me's.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

:p

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
I voted no... There are just some things people just aren't met to tamper with...

that and the whole "overpopulation", "religious problems", "ethics", "body farming", "defects", and "them realizing they're a clone" problems come up.

And lets not forget the possibilty of clone wars :p

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
I voted no, so here shall life be ,baby ,child,middle,old and older then die
it's so suppose the life to be. And not hey its me the clone Number v2.The Helper I am back haha (Sry LOL)
But sure some want be cloned they want live forever the power hungry politician ,Well better ppl dont play god

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
> Actually, the clone would need to be born, so it would not be exactly the same as the grandfather, because the clone would need to grow up exactly the same way as the grandfather.

Yes, but then in the end, it would be the same as grandfather, which ignores the fact that he's dead already.

> Clones are born, too. They would grow up just like regular people do.

Yes, yes.
<someone the world needs> is dying, quick! Clone him so in the future we can have 'him' again.

> The clone would be X years younger than yourself, X being when the clone was born. So not only would the clone not look like yourself, but it would have a different personality.

Not if it was cloned after one is born.

" My baby looks promising. "
" Really? Clone him for more. "
" The more the better, perhaps? "

Different personality??
Then clone is not perfect yet :rolleyes:

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
@"overpopulation"
I don't see how coning would make this problem any worse. The added clones would add a little more to the population, maybe, but it won't make a noticeable difference. Overpopulation needs to be fixed either way already.

@"religious problems"
First, I don't see why religions should hold back science. If the reason you don't like cloning is because "god wouldn't like it", then that's not a good reason, in my opinion.

@"body farming"
This is just silly. Why would you make a clone, wait 20 some odd years for it to grow up, then butcher it for parts? There is already technology to grow individual parts, like arms, legs, hearts, etc. in development right now, which is far more practical.

@"defects"
Not sure what you mean here. You mean defects in the cloning process? How is this any different than if there is a defect in the normal birth?

@"them realizing they're a clone"
While some people might not like being a clone, at first, I think eventually people as a whole will realize that clones are just people. If they happen to look like some other person a good bit, so what? It's like being a twin, if anything.

@"ethics"
This might be a real issue, at least at first. People not liking clones, or being anti-clone, would make life hard for clones early on. However, clones are not exact copies in everything, only physical features. Most likely, they won't even be similar ages, so they won't even look the same. At worst, they will be like identical twins, or triples or more if there's a lot of them. Twins and such seem to get along fine, so I don't see how this is any different.

Making two people have the same exact personality is completely different. For one, that technology is far, far more advanced than the technology for cloning. We would have to crack the secrets of how the brain works first, and I don't see that happening for a long, long, long time. That would be another issue to bring up, for sure, but it has nothing to do with cloning.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> I think eventually people as a whole will realize that clones are just people
The same way people as a whole now consider all races and nations equal and "just people"? Riiiiiight.... :rolleyes:

Darkchaoself

What is this i dont even
Reaction score
@"ethics"
This might be a real issue, at least at first. People not liking clones, or being anti-clone, would make life hard for clones early on. However, clones are not exact copies in everything, only physical features. Most likely, they won't even be similar ages, so they won't even look the same. At worst, they will be like identical twins, or triples or more if there's a lot of them. Twins and such seem to get along fine, so I don't see how this is any different.

Yea, that seems the only problem. It would like being a whole 'nother civil war, to free the slaves instead of African Americans. And they still wouldnt be treated equal.

It's like history repeating itself, since many would use clones as slaves, i think, like they did with African Americans.

So i say no, or atleast until we can learn that they would be actual people...

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score

http://www.ibiblio.org/lunarbin/worldpop

This clock takes in Death and Birth rates, so Enjoy watching us humans overpopulate to extincting...

@"overpopulation"
I don't see how coning would make this problem any worse. The added clones would add a little more to the population, maybe, but it won't make a noticeable difference. Overpopulation needs to be fixed either way already.

One mouth to feed that could be going to someone else and not just so you can have a 2nd you when you die...

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
So if we can't use the clones for insurance policies, extra body parts, or slavery, then what's the use of clones?

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
If cloning would be invented... And when I'm old enough to die.. Then I'll make a clone for myself.. More like a new generation me.. I'll take care of him and eventually will give him my owned property (If I have).. Then the clone will eventually the new me, of the new generation.. At least I'm happy that the new generation me will experience the new life..

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
@DarkChaosElf
Now that I've thought about it a bit, even the prejudice against clones wouldn't really work very well, as a clone would be practically be impossible to tell from a normal person, as even a person an their clone, the same age, or two clones of the same person, would probably just look like identical twins. I mean, it's not like they have a big "clone" sign on them or something.

@Mizuio Ken
Well, what makes that clone less worthy of living as well? At any rate, overpopulation will be resolved in some form or another, whether we fix it ourselves (birth control, or even migration to other planets eventually) or it will resolve itself, probably in a bad way, and clones aren't going to change any of that.

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
Why not? We can create millions of clones, send them to outer space and let them capture it! For Humanity!

really, no. I wonder, what will happened to the cloned human? Will he have the same memories as the same one? Or will he just wonder what the hell he is doing? Imagine just waking up, and someone tells you you're a clone. No thank you.

EatShrooms

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I'm for growing babies, not really cloning. If babies are raised on a large scale, it could insure humanities' existence. Maybe it's something to think about when we have the technology to colonize other planets.

edit: Oh and it's not that I have something against cloning. It's just not an interest of mine. If you want to be cloned thinking that it's going to make you live longer then you better start thinking real hard about your conscience/self-awareness/being. What if you're cloned is made while you're alive? Sure it's another "you", but what does that really mean? Do you honestly think your going to see out of both pairs of eyes? P.S.: You're not going to.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
I think we have some confusion on different types of "clones" here. I'm talking about clones which we can make in the near future, similar to what we've done with sheep. Basically, you take a bit of someone's DNA, and use it to make a baby. That baby develops and grows exactly as any other would. After it's born, it will grow up and lead a normal life. The only difference would be that he would look exactly like you, except younger. He wouldn't inherit your personality or memories, but develop his own.

What many here seem to think clones are is what they have in most movies. Basically, it makes a complete copy of you, fully grown, or your own age, with your same memories and personality. This is absolutely not possible with any technology we have in development, and is not what cloning is. If we were to vote whether that should be allowed, I would agree with everyone here and vote no, but that is not what we are discussing, as I understand it.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I wouldn't want a copy of myself (memory and thoughts not included). I'd rather pass down my genes naturally, to a son/daughter.

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
@DarkChaosElf
Now that I've thought about it a bit, even the prejudice against clones wouldn't really work very well, as a clone would be practically be impossible to tell from a normal person, as even a person an their clone, the same age, or two clones of the same person, would probably just look like identical twins. I mean, it's not like they have a big "clone" sign on them or something.

2 words - Hitler, Jews.

Piece it together yourself alright? :thup:

And ya, I guess we kinda really are thinking about the wrong kind of clones here. But then, like stated already, what would be the use of them? It would be almost like having... a baby. And thats it. I fail to see much (ethical) use of that

Metal425

Reaction score
No, I don't want a copy of myself. Cloning would ruin the population of the world, and the all people would be boring, and everyone would be the same. It's better when everyone is unique, and different.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.