Upcoming Cataclysm Class Changes

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Blizzard will be releasing various class changes that will come with Cataclysm with this month so I'll be updating this thread with all the latest updates!

"Blood to tank as Blood in Cataclysm"

The Death Knight tanking tree will see some major changes as we enter Cataclysm to have blood be the premiere tanking tree. While having three trees viable for tanking, there’s a lot of work involved and players will feel they are missing out on things that could be picked up if they instead had a focused tree such as the Paladin or Warrior Protection tree. With Cataclysm, Blizzard will condense tanking talents into blood to allow tanks to have more tools to choose from instead of weaving through DPS talents that were designed for DPS’ers playing the same tree. These changes are most likely one of the many changes that will come with Cataclysm such as Frost being the “Dual-Wield” spec and Unholy being the PvP or Twohander Spec.

"Cataclysm Class Preview: Shamans"

In this preview, you’ll get an early look at some of the changes in store for the shaman class, including a rundown of some of the new spells, abilities, and talents, and an overview of how the new Mastery system will work with the different talent specs.

"Cataclysm Class Preview: Warlocks"

In World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, warlocks will receive changes to their class talents and abilities. Outlined below are some of these changes. Keep in mind that this is an early preview and that these modifications are still under development, so you may see further adjustments to the listed changes as we get closer to launch. That said, here is a first look at these new warlock spells and abilities!

"Cataclysm Class Preview: Priests"

A lot of interesting changes will be made to priests with Cataclysm. There are a some interesting spells that are in store such as a new centralized “heal” spell to use instead of Flash Heal or Greater Heal. Other changes include a new shadow spell “Mind Spike” which will be used as a quick nuke for times when you need to swap targets fast such as for downing bones spikes on marrowgar. Situations such as those, you don’t have time to apply full dots or run a full rotation, spamming Mind Spike will deal as much damage as a Mind Flay with Shadow Word: Pain applied.

"Cataclysm Class Preview: Warriors"

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm will bring with it several changes to class talents and abilities. Here you will get a glimpse into some of the changes we have in store for the warrior. The information you’re about to read is not complete, and is only meant to act as a preview for some of the exciting new things to come.

New Warrior Abilities

Inner Rage (Level 81): Whenever the character reaches a full 100 Rage, he or she will gain a buff that causes attacks to consume 50% more Rage and do 15% more damage for a short amount of time. This is a passive ability so it won’t need to be activated by the player. The goal for this ability is to provide a benefit for hitting max Rage instead of it feeling like a penalty. However, we also don’t want warriors to feel like they’re supposed to pool Rage and do nothing until they hit 100, so we’ll be closely monitoring how this plays out during the beta testing, and making adjustments as needed.

Mortal Strikes and Cataclysm

Currently there’s a couple classes with mortal strike effects that reduce healing done by 50% while some reduce healing by 20% such as Permafrost and Mind Blast. With cataclysm, the plans are to equalize everything across the board and have all of those similar effects only reduce healing done by 20%. It’s also being considered that all of those debuffs be changed into one called “Mortal Wounds” which would be non-dispellable which is currently not the case with effects such as Wound Poison.

"Cataclysm Class Changes: death Knights"

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm will bring with it several changes to class talents and abilities. In this preview, you’ll get a glimpse at some of the new abilities, spells, and talents in store for the death knight class, along with an early look at some improvements we plan to make to the rune resource system.

New Death Knight Abilities

Outbreak (level 81): Outbreak infects the target with both Frost Fever and Blood Plague at no rune cost. This ability allows death knights to apply diseases quickly when they are switching targets or when their diseases have been dispelled.

Cataclysm Class Changes: Rogues

In World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, we’ll be making several changes to class talents and abilities across the board. Here, you’ll get a glimpse at what’s in store for the rogue class, including a look the new high-level abilities and an overview of how the new Mastery system will work with the rogue’s different talent specs.

New Rogue Abilities

Redirect (available at level 81): Rogues will be getting a new ability to help them deal with changing targets. Redirect will transfer any active combo points to the rogue’s current target, helping to ensure combo points aren’t wasted when swapping targets or when targets die. In addition, self-buff abilities like Slice and Dice will no longer require a target, so rogues can spend extra combo points on those types of abilities (more on this below). Redirect will have a 1-minute cooldown and no other costs.

Mekkatorque Wants You: Operation Gnomeregan!

A new bulletin was released fresh on the press today saying that Operation Gnomeregan is imminent. The High Tinker of Gnomeregan, Mekkatorque wants you to join him in his conquest to recapture the beloved city of Gnomeregan!

“The road to success will be paved by you, and you’ll be rewarded as such with a commendation of Gnomeregan Pride, allowing you to temporarily don the uniform of the elite Gnomeregan Infantry.”

“As great citizens of Azeroth and proud members of the Alliance, High Tinker Mekkatorque shall call upon you to serve his gnomes in exile. After all, the best offense is a good… offense! Whether you’re a hero of your people and slayer of the most dreadful Burning Legion and Scourge creatures, or an up-and-coming adventurer, you can start by motivating your gnome brethren to unite behind the Gnomeregan banner.”
There was a nice poster with this but it's too big for the post :s

"Cataclysm Class Changes: Hunters"

With the upcoming World of Warcraft: Cataclysm many game elements will be changing, and each class will be receiving a number of tweaks. Here, we will explore the changes that are being made to the gun-wielding, pet-training hunter. The information you’re about to read is certainly not complete, and is only meant to act as a preview of some of the exciting new things to come. Without further ado, let’s take a look at the new hunter abilities!

New Hunter Abilities

Cobra Shot (level 81): A new shot that deals Nature damage instead of Physical damage. This ability will share a cooldown with Steady Shot. This will give hunters an alternative to Steady Shot on heavily-armored targets, and we will have talent incentives in the Beast Mastery tree to make this a signature shot.

More to come as the days pass by :thup:

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
These changes are most likely one of the many changes that will come with Cataclysm such as Frost being the “Dual-Wield” spec...

I thought Frost was already the dual wield spec :confused:

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
I thought Frost was already the dual wield spec :confused:
I suppose they're just throwing it out there, for good measure - considering the amount of changes that we are hearing about, who knows what could happen (or, in this case, could have happened) to the general role of each talent tree.

I wonder if Blood will retain it's awesome lack of downtime for levelling... :p

Oninuva

Reaction score
Well Frost is THE dual wield spec but it wasn't used to be, I used to 2H tank in Frost on release.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Shaman stuff sounds pretty cool (not-so-Heroic Throw ftw?), haven't gotten to checking out the Warlock stuff...

Now, to wait for the Warrior update...

EDIT: Oh, this looks interesting...
When reapplying a DoT, you can no longer “clip” the final tick. Instead, this will just add duration to the spell, similar to how Everlasting Affliction currently works.
I hope it applies to more than all classes with DoT's

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Warrior stuff is up on MMO Champion (link), but I haven't checked Planet Raid :3

We will keep the Sword Specialization talent, but it will be changed to a talent that applies to all types of weapons.
They wait until Cataclysm to do this? >:C

Although, aside from that, the warrior stuff sounds quite interesting... I can't wait to see it in action :)

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Hoping the DK changes are soon. I wanna see what sexy stuff they've come up with.

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
Though both necrotic strike and dark simulacrum sound interesting.

Also, warriors and shaman, the classes I play, are looking to be sick. Mostly shaman though, with that unleashed weapon thing.

Oninuva

Reaction score
The Death Knight changes are kinda upsetting lol, nothin cool. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.