100% CPU Usage

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
SOLVED - I INSTALLED WINDOWS 7, DIE STUPID VISTA! THE PROBLEM HAS STOPPED!

My computer, is always on high CPU Usage when I run a program or open a folder, if I'm just on Firefox, its at like 9%, when I open a folder, boom, 50%. Explorer uses up a lot?

And then, if I open World Editor, it can take up like 50 - 98%. And becomes hard to manage, things becoming unresponsive.

Any idea of how to solve this?

(At the time of writing this post, it is at 52% usage, the only program open being Task Manager and Firefox :()
I tried setting the: Right Click My Computer , Propreties > Advanced > Perfomance to Adjust for Best perfomance but....

Computer specs:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/6/2009, 12:56:25
Machine name: OWNER-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: NC853AA-ABG p6020a
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 1916MB RAM
Page File: 1020MB used, 3052MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
CPU usage can come from a lot of other junk other then programs running.

And yes, WE is a serious business, it takes CPU power to run that bad boy

KingZeus

Reaction score
When was the last time you defragmented your comp? Also, do you wipe your browsers history every time you close it or occasionally because cookies don't help that much either. Other than that I have no idea why your comp would be using that much (other than if you had a virus) highest spike I saw while working with WE, iTunes, Firefox (good bit of tabs open), and some folders open was 30% generally stayed around 10-20%. Note my comp is 4 years old.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Well, what's your processor speed / how many cores does it have (IE intel core 2 duo), and how much RAM does you system have?

Kind Regards

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
as far as WE goes there are some settings that can affect performance, especially the undo limit, but also the graphic settings (default is same as wc3) when not on a dedicated GPU

and you can open task manager (in vista it has a performance monitor as well) that you can use to keep track of which application is using the CPU, explorer is known to be a hog, especially when opening up something new and when dragging a window (x2 if aero is enabled)

p.s. firefox is not a good indicator, because that depends on what you have open (flash, javascript, java, addons) can all swamp a weaker cpu (esp. if coded inefficiently), or it could just all be html which should not be a problem even for old computers

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
Well, it never happened to slow down before, it was always running at a good responsive rate... but now its just... BLEH>

I last degragmented my computer about a week ago, not using DiskFragementer using some other external program, perfectSpeed.

As for the specs:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/6/2009, 12:56:25
Machine name: OWNER-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: NC853AA-ABG p6020a
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 1916MB RAM
Page File: 1020MB used, 3052MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

Ok, I was working in World Editor, World Editor being the only program open, and Task Manager, and it is still at around 100% CPU Usage, Task Manager showing WorldEdit was taking up 99% CPU. I tried to import a model but the folder thingy became greyed out and could only be closed.

Does dust have anything to do with this? The area around the computer is a bit dusty.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
you should be able to run WE just fine on a 2.5 ghz dual core with 2gb of ram, maybe try re-installing WC3? also are you using the normal editor or newgen or something similar?

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you done any virus scans recently?

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
When I open WE, two of my cores spike to around 80%, but after that it's pretty normal.

AVG/SpyBot are free aren't they? they're OK I think.

Perhaps try a normal world editor? or turning off the brush list under the Window Tab, also is this with any map open or just blank?

If it's blank I imagine there is something wrong with the NewGen thing, it shouldn't be 99% if it's not doing anything.

Kind Regards

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope, I uninstalled my antivirus. It got annoying, with all those things saying the trial had expired.

I would suggest getting a free antivirus, if you don't want to pay for one, because viruses are common causes of slower computers.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Try malwarebytes anti malware, it's worked for many problems I've been asked to help with.

But as said above, chances are you have a virus or installed a resource hog of a program. It's either that or your hardware is going bad, which is rare.

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
Just tried Malwares anti malware. No bad stuff detected.

I tried Process Explorer.

Some thing called "ntdll.dll!RTlSizeHeap+0x642" is hogging up CPU. Any ideas? At the time of writing this computer @ 50% CPU Usage from Explorer, only programs were Firefox and Process Explorer >.>

Is this even normal o_O

Image attached, left one is time of typing, right one is when I opened up DOCUMENTS..... I can easily just 'Suspend' the thingy and everything returns to normal but it becomes a hassle to do so.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
it still looks like some sort of virus.. try booting into safe mode, see if it still appears, and then (hopefully it dosent), then try running some more anti-viruses

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
Just installed AVG. Did a virus scan, I'll let it do a FULL virus scan, later, got assignments. But I guess I don't need any more help here.

Thanks Slapshot136.

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
You either have CPU overvoltage or CPU over temperature going on.. Install SPEEDFAN and check it..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.