Reaction score
Original Topic

Sunken Frenzy
Designed by Thanatos_820 / SafeFail

Map Size: 54x54
Tileset: Sunken Ruins
Concept: Real-Time Strategy/Mini-game

Introduction
Sunken Frenzy is one of my long-time abandoned projects from 3 years ago, so many will hardly remember or even recognize it. If you don't know what it is, then don't think you must've lived under a rock. This map is quite old itself and was shelved on the top drawer that collects dust, and not many held interest to begin with (even myyself), so there's no worry there. It's original design was to imitate AceHart's Hatchery Havoc, only weld by my own perception and inspiration. I'm under a different alias, but I do not wish to run off topic here (send a PM and we'll chat from there for whatever reason you need to discuss about, if needed). In any case, this is not map-stealing, just a continuation and dusting off a map with room for improvement.

Gameplay
Being a real-time strategy map, or mini-game one can say, the basic idea is to train units and demolish the enemy's tier structure before they can do the same to yours. Last man standing wins in this map. You have a selection of (currently) four different types of units with different races of which you have access to, all of which are dependent on your current tier level. I suppose and strongly believe they're not balanced even halfway yet, but they're intended to play different roles as you progress through the game. Each unit race is different and listed below, with their basic properties.

Murlocs - Melee, inexpensive and hasty.
Makrura - Melee, moderate and defensive.
Sea Turtles - Ranged, moderate and defensive.
Hydras - Ranged, slow, expensive and offensive.

More races will be avaliable in time, and speaking of time, upgrades and lumber usage as well. Some races have specific upgrades, while some will be shared. Should you favor one race over another, you can use lumber to specialize into it, which in essence, improves all statistics of that race. Lumber is given in values of 1 every 30 seconds of gameplay. The more lumber you invest, the stronger they'll be. Beware that you can only select one specialization!

The first specialization you select is free of cost, but the next will cost 1 lumber. More points spent will slowly raise the lumber cost in this way. The intentions are listed below, but are subject to change. From left to right will be the attributes that will be raised significantly to minor change.

Murlocs - Increased attack speed, movement speed and health.
Makrura - Increased health, armor and movement speed.
Sea Turtles - Increased armor, damage and movement speed.
Hydras - Increased health regeneration, armor and attack speed.

Lumber can not only just be used for specializations, but it can also be used to elevate your current tier. Elevating tiers cost 1 lumber up to the final tier, which will require 8 lumber to ascend. Tiers judge what units you may train and the upgrades avaliable. In order to train stronger units and gain access to upgrades, you must save and spend lumber to do so. Spend lumber wisely as well.

That pretty much covers gameplay, but I'm a little terrible with explaining anyways. I won't be able to completely fill you in since I'm unable to host a test version of the map. Moving on...

New Implementations
Yes, there are planned simple changes I'll make. I'm sure everyone else can, too, but for those that don't know - this is the first map that I actually made. I don't have sufficient knowledge of triggers and programming to bring you works of DotA or all those popular maps on Battle.net, but I'm quite as familiar with dreaming and placing my input of ideas.

What should you expect with the new version? Here's some ideas I'm going to pin-point out really quick.

I'm going to make an attempt to make a "Random Recruitment" event. The event happens every minute, granting each active player 3 free units of any given tier, regardless of that player's current tier. That should add some "surprise" or "table-turning" in early games, but I'll add more that will heighten that effect in the future.

Lumber will become a valid resource! Instead of tiers demanding you to spend gold to allow you to elevate and wait on income to finally train units, they will instead demand lumber, given every 30 seconds as stated before. Specializations are also being introduced to increase the number of choices rather than facerolling and just massing hydras (pre-nerf) without being in the state of mind or such related.

Hydras will once again recieve some nerfs. I've had complaints long ago that they were just too damn overpowered and one could win by just creating them. That will change, hopefully. The new version should make Hydras less desirable as other races will recieve some or many buffs and maybe a nerf or two. Be aware that the "bulk" of the nerfs can be covered up by simply specializing into Hydras.

Two new races will be introduced: Sunken Orcs and Sea Giants! Originally in 1.0e, I had accidentally made a huge mistake of releasing the map. Sunken Orcs were unable to be trained due to the fact that the primary tier structure was unable to do so. Besides, the Champion unit was far too strong (in the editor). That will change and they will become accessable. Old news, but Sea Giants definately aren't.

I'll stop there, for now. I'm going to advise everyone to not download Sunken Frenzy 1.0e, as I'm currently working on 1.1a. It may take a few weeks, but I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks for your time!

SafeFail

Reaction score
Reserved for changelogs and notes.

Sunken Frenzy has made numerous changes compared to the last few years of inactivity, so they're unable to be posted on the loading screen. This is more organized on the forums than the quest log as far as I can see. Changes were undergoing approval and development by myself early April 2010, containing buffs and nerfs. Please note that all changes made are not guarenteed to be listed in this log; I do miss a lot of changes as I edit and reconfigure the map.

1.1a Changelog (Preview as of 04.08.10)

General
- A grand majority of the map's tooltips have been redone.
- Fixed an error that caused the defeat message to spam its message every two seconds.
- Lumber is now a valid resource, given out once every 45 seconds. Lumber can be used to increase a player's tier or improve a race's specialization. In future versions, other additions will also demand the usage of lumber such as upgrades and vice versa.
- Scaling values of all units have been reduced dramatically.
- Shadows have been removed completely from all units.
- The base structure no longer trains combat units and a specific tier of such, but instead will train constructors that can repair and develop defensive structures. In light of this change, players will have a multitude of invulnerable structures that will train one specific race of a given unit of any tier.
- Tiers are no longer increased through the usage of gold. Instead, to elevate to the next tier, a player must use 1 lumber.

Additions
- Random Recruitment: Every 90 seconds, players will recieve 3 random units from any given tier and race, regardless of your current tier level.
- Sea Giants: Sea Giants can now be produced, with proper tier levels for more powerful relatives.
- Sunken Orcs: Sunken Orcs can now be produced, with proper tier levels for more powerful relatives. They were existant in the editor of patch 1.0e, but never trainable, which was unintended.
- Tier Five: Players can now elevate from the old Tier Four to Tier Five. Stronger units await your command!

Game Modes
- Easy Start Mode: All players start with an extra 350 gold and 4 lumber (500 gold and 5 lumber total). Game command to activate is -esm.
- Double Bounty Mode: All players will recieve double the amount of gold when killing enemy units. Game command to activate is -dbm.
- Sudden Death Mode: All trained units spawn with only 33% of their maximum health remaining instead. Game command to activate is -sdm.
- Coin Collector Mode: Income is disabled; players can only recieve gold by collecting coins or killing enemy units.

Hydra Units
- Hydras: Health regeneration rate reduced by 50%.
- Mature Hydra: Renamed from Hydra.
- Mature Hydra: Bounty awarded reduced to a base of 24, number of dice and slides per die to 1 (down from 50, 5 and 3 respectively).
- (NEW!) Ancient Hydra: New tier five unit.

Makrura Units
- Makrura Clawbuster: Renamed from Makrura Elite.
- Makrura Clawbuster: Base damage increased to 16 (up from 15) and swing time lowered to 1.25 (from 1.35). Slides per die increased to 3 (up from 2).
- Makrura Drone: Renamed from Makrura Prawn.
- Makrura Drone: Base damage increased to 6 (up from 4) and swing time lowered to 1.3 (from 1.35).
- Makrura Prawn: Renamed from Makrura Snapper.
- Makrura Prawn: Base damage increased to 9 (up from 8) and swing time lowered to 1.3 (from 1.35). Slides per die reduced to 2 (down from 5).
- Makrura Snapper: Renamed from Makrura Clawbuster.
- Makrura Snapper: Base damage increased to 12 (up from 11) and swing time lowered to 1.25 (from 1.35). Slides per die increased to 3 (up from 2).
- (NEW!) Makrura Guardian: New tier five unit.

Murloc Units
- Murloc Tiderunner: Base damage increased to 4 (up from 3) and swing time lowered to 1.1 (from 1.35).
- Murloc Nightcrawler: Renamed from Murloc Huntsman.
- Murloc Nightcrawler: Base damage increased to 8 (up from 4) and swing time lowered to 1.1 (from 1.35). Slides per die reduced to 3 (down from 5)
- Murloc Wavecrasher: Renamed from Murloc Nightcrawler..
- Murloc Wavecrasher: Base damage increased to 10 (up from 8) and swing time lowered to 1.1 (from 1.35). Slides per die increased to 3 (down from 2).
- Murloc Sea Hunter: Renamed from Murloc Mutant.
- Murloc Sea Hunter: Swing time lowered to 1.1 (from 1.35). Slides per die reduced to 4 (down from 5).
- (NEW!) Murloc Tidal Lord: New tier five unit.

Sea Turtle Units
- Sea Turtle Bonesnapper: Renamed from Sea Turtle.
- Sea Turtle Tidecrawler: Renamed from Gargantuan Sea Turtle.
- Ravaging Sea Turtle: Renamed from Dragon Sea Turtle.
- (NEW!) Dragon Sea Turtle: New tier five unit.

Spells and Upgrades
- Command Aura: Damage bonus increased to 12% (up from 10%).
- Corrosive Poison: Duration reduced to 20 seconds (down from 60) and now affects all Hydra and Murloc units.
- Cripple: Damage, attack and movement speed reductions reduced to 33% (down from 35%).
- Envenomed Blades: Removed from the map. The Corrosive Poison upgrade will provide Murloc units with their poisoned weapons instead.
- Ensnare: Duration increased to 5 seconds (up from 3).
- Freezing Spray: Renamed to Frigid Spray and attack and movement speed reduction increased to 17% (up from 10%).
- Improved Command Aura: Damage bonus increased to 8% (up from 5%).
- Keen Sight: Sight range bonus increased to 235 (up from 150) and grants a 15% chance to critically strike the target. Critical strikes cause two times normal weapon damage.
- Razorspine Carapace: Damage returned reduced to 33% (down from 40%) and affects all Sea Turtle and Makrura units.
- Strengthened Phalanges: Renamed to Tidal Grip and attack speed bonus increased to 10% (up from 5%). It also no longer costs lumber.
- Tidal Wave: Damage caused increased to 40 (down from 45) and total max damage reduced to 800 (down from 99999).
- Tough Carapace: Now affects all Sea Turtle and Makrura units.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.