A Few Nice War3 Ladder Strategies

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a few of my guides on some basic War3 strats. Hope you enjoy!
I will add some more tips as time goes on probably.
If you wish to contact me ingame I am usually on Wc3 as Whitesock @ USeast.

Index

1. Dual AoW mass archer with quick tech
2. Gruntapult Tower Push
3. Base Builds Reference

DUAL ANCIENT OF WAR ARCHER MASS WITH QUICK TECH

By Whitesock

Preface

I just decided to find a great way to tech early, yet still have a nice early push to get a head start on any enemies I encounter. This will take some definite archer micro if you want to win, but if you have that you can push teir 1 teching to tier two into tier two, then possibly a fast teir 3 push to end the game if it isn't over already. Note that archers can't take out buildings that well, so later 2-3 glaives could help.

Startup

This is a bit complex when you read it, but it isn't really that hard. I mean, I can do it fine, and that's saying something.

-Take 3 of your 5 start wisps and send them to gold. The other two go to lumber.

-Build a wisp rallied to gold

-At about 12-13 seconds in, build a moonwell. Rally this wisp to your gold mine.

-Take one wisp from your gold mine (should have four) and send it to build an AoW when you have ~110-120 lumber.

-Take one wisp from wood almost immedately after the AoW wisp starts construction and build an altar.

-Keep making wisps until you have 10 food in wisps then stop.

-Build two archers and train your hero when the buildings are finished.

-Build another wisp and a moonwell.

"Wait a minute, I have full food and can't make any more units. Wtf is wrong with your noob strat?"

Well, you didn't realize this was a quick teching strategy did you? Yes, this period of time is when you creep with 2 archers and a hero and then tech when resources are available. That timing should be perfect to allow you to build more archers since the moonwell will finish.

-IMPORTANT- This is your weakest point in the game! Be wary of hero rushes, because they can delay your archer pump.

-After this point, keep pumping archers, make moonwells when needed, and then use whatever unit combo you want from here on out. This is very flexible t this point.

I hope you liked this quick building guide. Note that I do not normally play Nightelf so there may be better strategies out there.

Some replays are attached. A NE vrs. Orc of me. Orc was a Computer(Normal) player.

The second one was NE vrs. UD of me online. He pulled and interesting strategy, and I should not have gone archers, but I wanted to show the strategy in a real game. I ended up losing to frosties, but I owned him tier two, which would normally have won me the game.

This has to be one of my favorite strategies for orc vrs. night elf on small maps like turtle rock (great map for this, especially a close spawn). Note that this will use towers, and the fact that it doesn't use raiders makes the push come a great bit sooner.

STARTUP

-A basic orc start is used. Basic altar, burrow, rax, burrow, shop, and tech.

-Make sure you pick the farseer for this strategy. The wolves are very handy and the fact that he has a ranged attack will work well later in the strategy.

-Try to creep and basically keep the NE away from your base.

-IMPORTANT- Make sure you put up a war mill when your great hall tech is halfway to finishing. This will insure that they both finish at the same time.

MIDGAME- When tech is completed

-IMPORTANT- Train a Shadow Hunter hero at this time. No TC. Make sure you also get Serpent Wards as his first skill.

-IMPORTANT- Stop grunt training and make a demolisher as soon as possible! You will need that demolisher come time for the tower push.

-At this point in the game it is absolutely VITAL that the NE does not attack your base. This is the point where your game can be ruined. Make sure the NE doesn't find out that you have demolishers either, because he may counter your strategy.

-Build burrows when needed.

PUSHING TIME- Should fall right when night ends and day begins

-At this point you should have about 2-3 demolishers and a few grounts along with your two heros. When it turns to daytime, it is time to push. During daytime moonwells stop regenerating, which makes this strategy so deadly to the nightelf.

-Take 3-4 peons with you (I prefer four) and move your army outside the Nightelf base.

THE PUSH

-Setup your towers behind your units. If the Nightelf does not see you, try and give as much time as you can undetected while letting your towers build. If not, the fight should be pretty easy anyways.

-Use your SH's wards as temporary towers while your own are building. Basically, you want to hold out until the towers are done. Here's a breakdown of what you'll probably have to deal with. The left side is what you have, and the right side is what will be owned by it.

Code:
Your units       |  Nightelf units
                 |
Grunt            |  Archer
Demolisher       |  Huntresses
Serpent wards    |  All
Watchtowers      |  All
Wolves           |  All

As you can see, your units effectively cover all of the Nightelf's teir 1 units, which will be all the NE should have if the push is done timely. If the NE has Druids of the Talon, your demolishers and wolves will be able to pick them off well. Dryads may also be a problem, but you have demolishers.

-IMPORTANT- Keep your demolishers alive! You may want to keep a peon just to repair damaged demolishers due to huntresses running past your grunt line.

And that's it! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Base Builds (Pictures)

Human

HUbase.jpg

Night Elf

NEbase.jpg

Orc

Orcbase.jpg

Undead

Undeadbase.jpg

Attachments

• Dual rax archers vrs. orc comp best.w3g
    73.4 KB · Views: 244
  • Archer dual rax.w3g
    78.1 KB · Views: 233

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Nice strategies.

My undead strategy is simple and easy, necromancers + meat wagons (exhume corpses) = win! Lol, very common though. :p

I haven't heard those before, nice. If I ever play on BNet (no, I haven't yet) I might try those out.

Homer

Reaction score
ah hanvt played ladder serious for awhile now. However, when playing you can not do the same strat over and over. Its verymuch dependent on the race ur opponent is and what is revealed on ur scout. To be good at wc3 ladder u need to be dynamic and very strategic. And sometimes creativity helps :)

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
My favorite tactic is massing gyrocopters, up to about 90 (10 food for me peasants). Of course it works best with friends with siege weaponry, as they take care of those pesky towers :p

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
When are you online? I'd like to try a 1v1 with you. MY sn's Phoenix3568 @ USeast.

Undead base has WAY too many towers imo. They'd just stall until the other person can get seige. I'm not a big fan of wasting resouces I could be using to get stats/dests/abombs.

Orc base is pretty good. I suggest putting burrows closer to peons in case of rushes/harass. Burrows only have heavy armor, so they go down first and worst usually.

NE base needs better anti-wisps harassing Put the moonwells to gaurd your wisps.

Also, orc vs ne- NE gets t3 and get DH, Beast master, dotts, and hunts. Hunts OWN grunts.

Orc goes t2 and gets raiders (with ensare) and spirit walkers (for damage sharing/dispell from Cyclone)

I'm also not too big a fan of your HU base, but it might be my perspective.

Arcane

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
With NE (about the only race I'm good with ATM), I usually get a group of un-upgraded huntresses and a DH for early defense, then tech like mad to get bears out. By the time I have a good group of bears, they'd probably be almost fully upgraded - devestating. If the opponent goes air, it's also very easy to use hippos, seeing as they use the same upgrades.

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
Hippos are pretty awful aa vs bats/gyros/tanks/fiends. NE has worst AA imo. Good nelf players will put lots of pressure on before you can get anything decent and will AoW creep to fast lvl 2.

Change your strat depending on what race you fight against.

Humans have the best advantage t1, and will often get rifles and morts to counter any hunts easily. If you go archers, HU will just get some foots with defend. Basically the best thing you can do with NE is fast bears dryads. If hu gets breakers don't use roar/regen abilities. Humans can rush NE pretty effectivly too, so be on the lookout for tower rushes and mass footies.

Orc is easiest for NE. Master dotts + hunts usually works. IF orc goes air, master dotts should be able to 1v1 okay. Also great against BMs.

UD I'm not too sure of anymore... I think bears dryads works well there too, but I don't remember anymore; I haven't fought against UD in ages.

NE vs NE: Hunts with PotM and that druid hero whose name I forget. Also grab a couple (2 or 3) glave throwers for your advantage. Late game mass bears dryads. It's mostly who can micro better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.