A list of questions regarding the custom maps and stuffs related to it. (8 Questions)

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I have opened a port in 6112, so I think there are no problems with port forwarding.

As a host, I have a few questions about custom maps, including the title question:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Does waiting around, letting the computer sit, I am AFK, etc. still let other players join my map?

2. Is it true that opening and closing a slot may bring the map server to the top of the list or may increase my chances of having more players join my map?

3. Would my map stay on the list after other players had re-fresh their own list?

4. Even if the port is opened, is there a possibility that no one can join my map?

5. I'm currently playing in Taiwan, which is right next to mainland China. Should I join in the Kalimdor (Asia) server in order to receive the best results of hosting a map?

6. If I were to host in a different server, will my chances of having a player join my map be the same, high or low?

7. Port's opened, everything's fine, I have decent network communication speed, what else should I do in order to raise my chances of having a player joining my map?

8. If after waiting a day, and no sign of players, what should I do?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance! :D

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
1. Does waiting around, letting the computer sit, I am AFK, etc. still let other players join my map?

You have to refresh the slots.

2. Is it true that opening and closing a slot may bring the map server to the top of the list or may increase my chances of having more players join my map?

Closing and opening a single slot does not bump your game in the list.

You have to close all slots and refresh one of them.

3. Would my map stay on the list after other players had re-fresh their own list?

It will get to the bottom off the list if you don't refresh your map.

4. Even if the port is opened, is there a possibility that no one can join my map?

Yes.

In addition of opening your ports, you actually have to allow Warcraft to use them.

Check http://www.portforward.com/ for more information.

5. I'm currently playing in Taiwan, which is right next to mainland China. Should I join in the Kalimdor (Asia) server in order to receive the best results of hosting a map?

In terms of speed or the amount of people joining it?

Depends on a lot a variables, your connection speed, how far the server is, even the daytime and how many people are online.

I think your problem is that you haven't allowed Warcraft to use the opened ports.

I had the same problem.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Um...Port forwarding in that site don't work for me.

I used a router called "Lemel LM-IS6400B", made by a company in Taiwan, I think...

I couldn't find that router.

This is what it looked like: (More here.)

images

images

images

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
>6. If I were to host in a different server, will my chances of having a player join my map be the same, high or low?

Not sure what you mean here.

7. Port's opened, everything's fine, I have decent network communication speed, what else should I do in order to raise my chances of having a player joining my map?

Give it a good name?

Give up? :p

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean here.
GUI format:

If I were to log on to US West, US East, or Europe, will my chances of (the chance of players joining my map) be the same (Same with Question #5), higher (the value is higher than (the answer to Question #5)), or lower (the value is lower than (the answer to Question #5))?

Give it a good name?

Like what kind? It's hard to give good names these days...

Then why would I start hosting a map? :p

radromity

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
some players cant host after doing evory thing posible i did and i cant host sorry it may be the same way :(

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I better hope Starcraft 2 does not have this problem...at all.

I can't even play rare maps with other players online...

Thanks to everyone for your contributions...

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score

a whole day? if you dont get players in 15 mins max then you prolly shuld give up and rehost or something o_O

nomadian

Reaction score
well 15 mins is long, 4 mins is sufficient. With autorefresh even shorter as people usually are more likely to join with that on.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh.

I got one more question:

9. Is there a minimum connection speed requirement(s) for a host to create a map to play?

It seems to me, most, if not all, players who can host usually have connection speeds over 25 Kbps. I'm not sure if that's the lowest recommended speed, because "Broadband connection" is somehow a bit too general in terms of speed.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in Asia, and I think I met a lot of problems about that.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Alllready awnsered, but If you wish to go afk, try using auto-refresher while you're gone. :)

Its hard to tell, try it and see. However, I think Kalimdor has the least amount of players on it, even if it worked better for you.

A day? Or do you just mean you wait a long time and not very many people join?

After a day, it would seem no one CAN join your host. If you just waited awhile, try getting a friend to join. If they can, try a more attractive game name and host a popular map, and use an auto-refresher to get more people to come. :p

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Port forwarding in that site don't work for me.

Just find out your static ip adress and access your router.

You need your router password and user for that, which are normally found in the manual
or on the sticker on the bottom of the router.

Well, the rest is different for different companies, but browse around in the options
until you find a way to forward the needed ports for Warcraft.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I already opened and forwarded my ports 6112 to 6119.

I'm currently using 6113.

And I thought auto refreshers are not supported here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.