Array of Unit Arrays?

Sungazer

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm reading through pages of threads for the search query "unit array" as you read this trying to find an answer to this, so yes I know how to use search.

On to my question:

* In my map, two players face off across a tactical map with squads led by leaders (think SNES OgreBattle if you played it)

* Each player has 5 leaders and each leader has a squad of 5 units, for a total army size of 25 units led by 5 leaders per player

* In order to dynamically resolve leaders bumping into each other and loading the squads from the staging area to the battleground, I need a way to check which Leaders bumped into each other and load their associated squads.

I was hoping to use an Array of Unit Arrays to do this, such as:

unit squad_1[] = 5
array p1_army[] = 5

squad_1[0] = leader
squad_1[1] = unit
squad_1[2] = unit
... etc

p1_army[0] = squad_1[]

p1_army[squad_1[0]] = leader

So far I had been using GUI because I'm more familiar with it, but there are no "Array" variable types in GUI. The closest I've found is an array of Unit Groups. The problem with unit groups is that they are a "bucket with no index". I don't know how to refer to a specific unit in a group without some overhead (see below)

If this is not possible, what other solutions do I have?

My ideas so far:

* "brute force" - statically assign and manage individual unit arrays

* vJass structures and members? Used JASS, never touched vJass, I can learn, but won't bother if vJass can't solve this

* Use an array of unit-groups as a "middle man" to fill individual arrays accessed by the unit-group array?

* assign all army units a custom value and create one huge array of units to access them all (another "brute force" solution with lots of overhead, maybe)

Ideas? How would you do this? Need more information?

+Rep to useful responses, thanks in advance!

Shura

Reaction score
You could use hashtables. You can use them to store data with two array values.

Sungazer

Reaction score
Hm, I don't know much about hash tables, but I'll start playing with and doing searches on them.

Have a link or quick introductory explanation? I remember hashing from my early programming years, but in regards to creating keys using hashing algorithms.

Is it like a 2-dimensional array? If so, win-cannon, because that would allow me to make Value 1 = Squad # and Value 2 = Unit #

saw792

Is known to say things. That is all.
Reaction score
Hashtables work like 2D arrays, yes. If you know the maximum number of units in a squad you can simulate a 2D array in a normal array anyway. Let's say you have 10 max unit in a squad:

Code:
set Army[Squad * 10 + Unit]
So your army will be populated from indexes 0 to 9 with squad #1, 10 to 19 with squad #2 etc. You would obviously have to start your counters at 0 for this to make the best use of space of course. This is exactly how vJASS 2D arrays work.

Sungazer

Reaction score
I had considered what you're suggesting, saw792, but not with a formula like that for a dynamic index. I might just try that, thanks a lot!

saw792

Is known to say things. That is all.
Reaction score
Jass Newgen Pack, i.e. vJASS, which compiles to exactly what I posted.

Sungazer

Reaction score
I've started playing with hashtables and have found that they're perfect for what I'm trying to do, especially since the 'x' of 'y' values can be integers.

It's like having an eazy-moad built-in 2d-array :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.