Basic Problem With Picking & Unit Groups

Griffen25

Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to create a spell that picks units within a designated range of a target and does damage

I am very new to unit groups and "picked unit" function and i'm not really sure how it all works tbh.

this is what i have so far, but it doesn't Deal 4 damage every 0.2 seconds to units within 400 range of the caster (who is able to move and cast)

CASTING;
Trigger:
  • Eon Blue Apocalypse Cast
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Eon Blue Apocalypse [Tool]
    • Actions
      • Set EB_Caster = (Triggering unit)
      • Trigger - Turn on Eon Blue Apocalypse Effect <gen>
      • Wait 5.00 seconds
      • Trigger - Turn off Eon Blue Apocalypse Effect <gen>

THE EFFECT; (initially off)
Trigger:
  • Eon Blue Apocalypse Effect
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.20 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
      • (EB_Caster is alive) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 300.00 of (Position of EB_Caster) matching (((Triggering unit) is alive) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Cause EB_Caster to damage (Picked unit), dealing 4.00 damage of attack type Spells and damage type Unknown

P.S. I intend to add other things to the damage and i'm not just trying to make immolation or something similar.

Thanks!

Griffen25

Reaction score
almost..

Try chaning "(((Triggering unit) to (((Picked unit)

Trigger:
  • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 300.00 of (Position of EB_Caster)) and do (Actions)

thanks, I've simplified the problem and i think a step in the right direction however, It still isnt dealing 4 damage per 0.2 seconds.

Thanks for the tip though!

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
Heh, it's not really a tip, since Trigger unit doesn't get assigned for that event. When you use the Group select action with the Matching part, Matching unit will be assigned. So picked unit should be change to Matching unit, only in the matching part of the selection. Inside the selection, you should use, as you already do, picked unit.

this is what i have so far, but it doesn't Deal 4 damage every 0.2 seconds to units within 400 range of the caster (who is able to move and cast)
You'r only selecting units within 300 range of the caster.

Griffen25

Reaction score
Heh, it's not really a tip, since Trigger unit doesn't get assigned for that event. When you use the Group select action with the Matching part, Matching unit will be assigned. So picked unit should be change to Matching unit, only in the matching part of the selection. Inside the selection, you should use, as you already do, picked unit.

I'm confused, ermm I dont understand Matching / Picking units very well, So i appologise for my amatuer skills. But could you spell it out?
How can i use what you have written to help my problem?

P.S. (i've read your statement like 5 times).

Kikac_NNGK

Reaction score
Trigger:
  • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 300.00 of (Position of EB_Caster) matching (((Triggering unit) is alive) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)

Use (Matching Unit) instead of (Triggering Unit)

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.