Changing Ownership

dondonda

Reaction score
Hi
i would like to know how to change the ownership of a specific unit on the map from neutral to player by using an upgrade, the player in the game that buys the upgrade first gets control of that unit, then no other players can buy the upgrade and take control of the unit afterwards. I know its possible i just get stuck writing the trigger, any examples would really help!!
Thanks in advance

The Arcot

Reaction score
Well, you could try triggering it.

WE isnt up right now so Im free-handing this, you may need to change the wording a bit but anyway...

Event:
A unit finishes an upgrade
Condition:
Unit type of researching unit equal to (whatever unit it is doing the upgrading)
Action:
Pick all units of owned by player neutral passive of type (whatever unit your taking control of) and change ownership of (picked unit) to (owner of researching unit) and change colour)

I hope that helps somewhat.

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
Use it will be similar to the trigger posted above...

But that leaks to remove it you will need to use locals or use a line of custom script

dondonda

Reaction score
Use it will be similar to the trigger posted above...

But that leaks to remove it you will need to use locals or use a line of custom script

I don't quite understand what your trying to say here but im not aiming to remove ownership of the unit once that player takes control of it, just not allow any other players to take control of it after the first player does.

and im testing out the Trigger posted earlier right now:D

The Arcot

Reaction score
K try this then:

Event:
Condition:
Unit type of researching unit equal to (whatever unit it is doing the upgrading)
Action:
Set Pick_Group = (all units owned by player neutral passive of type (whatever)
Pick every unit in Pick_Group and change ownership of (picked unit) to (owner of researching unit) and change colour)
Custom script: call DestroyGroup (udg_Pick_Group)

Im not great when it comes to leak removal but that should do it.

dondonda

Reaction score
K try this then:

Event:
Condition:
Action:
Pick every unit in Pick_Group and change ownership of (picked unit) to (owner of researching unit) and change colour)

Yeah i am having troubles with the custom script, im pretty new with it so could you please explain how to write call DestroyGroup (udg_Pick_Group)?:)

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's what's happening with the custom script.
It's used to eliminate a leak.
A leak is a bit of information that stays in your computer's memory after it's already been used and just eats up RAM.
So, that line will stop this from happening.

You see you have a Unit Group variable called Pick_Group, right?
Well, you want to set that equal to the units you want to pick.
Then you pick every unit in the variable and do the actions, as you can see.
Make sense so far?

Then, to get rid of the leak, you use the custom script to clear the variable.
So, the syntax is as follows:

When you open up the Custom Script action, you type "call"
This is the basic indication of an action.
Then, you tell it which action you want. In this case, you want to destroy a unit group, so you type, "DestroyGroup"
Then you have to tell it which group to destroy.
So, in parentheses, you give it the name of the variable, but you must add the prefix, "udg_"

That prefix tells it that your variable was made in the Variable Editor.
Then you close up the parentheses.

So, the whole thing looks like this:

call DestroyGroup(udg_Pick_Group)

That goes in a Custom Script box AFTER you are done with the unit group.
Simple as that.

But make sure you get it exactly right. The editor does not like it when you mix up any letters. It is also Case-Sensitive.

Does all of that make sense to you now?

dondonda

Reaction score
Yeah the trigger doesn't work anyway, i tried it out and tried changing it and still nothing, the unit wont change to the researching units colour.:banghead:
anyway heres the trigger;
Dark Lord summoning

Events
Unit - A unit Finishes an upgrade
Conditions
(Unit-type of (Researching unit)) Equal to The Eye of Sauron
Actions
Set Pick_Group = (Units owned by Player 12 (Brown) of type Lord of Mordor)
Unit Group - Pick every unit in Pick_Group and do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
Unit - Change ownership of Lord of Mordor 0236 <gen> to (Owner of (Researching unit)) and Change color
Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_Pick_Group)

could anyone test this out and see what i did wrong?

Dominic098

Reaction score
K try this then:

Event:
Condition:
Action:

Haha thanks! I have been looking for a good -give command! I have tried like 5 others, none of them worked! Thanks! I just tweaked it a lil bit and this is what I got (If anyone else needs a command like this. For me it was a pain to find)

JASS:

Events
    Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -give blue as An exact match
Conditions-
Actions
    Set Pick_Group = (Units currently selected by Player 1 (Red))
    Unit Group - Pick every unit in Pick_Group and do (Unit - Change ownership of (Picked unit) to Player 2 (Blue) and Change color)
    Custom script:   call DestroyGroup(udg_Pick_Group)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.