Tutorial Color Code Tutorial

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
Color Codes
By: ArmedCivilian

WHAT ARE COLOR CODES?

What do color codes do you ask? Well they simple color words. By default all words are white. With a color code words can be ANY color you can dream of.

The definition is, a color code or colour code is a system for displaying information by using different colors. So basically color codes are just lines of letters that change the colors of words as said earlier.

WARCRAFT 3 COLOR CODES

In Warcraft 3 Blizzard uses pretty much the same color code as html which is a hex (the line of words that changes the color) of a color before the words you want to change. Blizzard did change it somewhat though. To create a color code you must type |c before any words you want to change. Then you add the hex of the color you want to change the words too. The first two letters define the transparency, but Warcraft 3 does not use that so ff or 00 will work fine so it will look like this |cff or |c00. The next two letters define the red value, the two letters after that define the green value and the last two letters define the blue value. You only need these six letters for color codes in Warcraft 3 This is what I use for color hexes. http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html Then after the end of the words you want to change the color to you have to put |r.

USING COLOR CODES IN WORLD EDITOR

Object Editor Usage

Now that you know the basics I will give you an example of color codes in Warcraft 3. We will change the name of a unit to blue.

Open up World Editor.

Go to the Object Edtior.

Click on the footman.

Scroll down to his name and double click.

Now when you open it, it should read Footman. Put |cff or |c00 in front of the word Footman so it will look like this, |cffFootman or |c00Footman.

Now add the hex of the color you want to change it to. I’m going to change it to blue. Now it will look like this |cff002EB8Footman or |c00002EB8Footman.

Now you need to add |r to the end to signify that the hex is over. Now the finished word will look like this, |cff002EB8Footman|r or |c00002EB8Footman|r.

In the Object Editor the unit’s name won’t be blue it will just have all the marks but in the game it will be blue.

FootmanInGame.jpg

Triger Editor Usage

You know how to use color codes in Object Editor now let's do it in a trigger. To add color text to a string action in the Trigger Editor you just use the same format you used for Object Editor. The codes before the words with |r afterwards.

String.jpg

To get to the string go to actions - game - then the first one that comes up just edit the text. You can also go to actions - quest - and the first one that comes up but that makes the quest menu highlight.

To change the color of people's names while using the show player's name part of the string class you need to put a few codes into variables. (You don't HAVE to but it is much easier if you do.)

First you need a trigger to store all the variables in. Make the Event something near the start of the creation of the map. Then make the variable it should look like this.

ColorVariable.jpg

Now set them all to the color codes. It should look like this.

SetColors.jpg

This is how it would look in game if you used it. You still follow the same format as the Object Editor.

Example.jpg

The first one is set to the color of the player. Code(1) is set to a red color code. You have to verify which color code you want to use. Using number of triggering player or picked player works very well because it picks the number of the player which you are changing the name's color for. (If you did it right.)

CONCLUSION

You can change almost anything you want now to make it look more appeasing to the eye. You can even add color codes to your map’s name! Enjoy coloring Warcraft 3 text. Hope this will help someone. - ArmedCivilian

P.S. I know there are many tutorials on this. I just made this a long time ago and decided to post it. It might help some people out. :p

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
I'm not sure that c00 is as same as cff, in certain occasions it might matter, in others it won't. Anyway, I always use cff.

As for the tutorial is there is much more detailed one by Pineapple (yummy). Also you didn't explain how the work. You should have AT LEAST posted |cttrrggbb|r and what 0-f are

0=0
1=1
a=10
b=11
10 = 17
11 = 18

Also: this one is much better in my opinion.

Sorry if I'm harsh, I try to be constructive. :)

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
> Also: this one is much better in my opinion.

This might be a good place to start, though. It doesn't get too technical. :p

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
So.. is that the only part I am missing? If so, should I add it, or just give a link to Pineapple's saying that he explains it in more depth?

About that first part is this what you are talking about?

TT - This is less important. This is the transparency of the text. Type FF or 00 or what you want. They game doesn't use it, but it checks to see if its there, if not, then the colour code wont work.

RR - This is how much red is in the colour you are mixing up.

GG - This is how much green is in the colour you are mixing up.

BB - This is how much blue is in the colour you are mixing up.

- Pineapple.

If so I did put that.

The first two letters define the transparency, but Warcraft 3 does not use that so ff or 00 will work fine so it will look like this |cff or |c00. The next two letters define the red value, the two letters after that define the green value and the last two letters define the blue value.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I think you should list the colors as well
because i know how to do the rest I would only look it up for color codes

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
I have this picture that has the code for each color.

SetColors.jpg

I also have this [URL="http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html]link[/URL], which has even more.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
SetColors.jpg

those are the wrong colours, so ya know.

Pineapples Tutorial said:
Red: |CFFFF0303 |R (255,3,3)
Blue: |CFF0042FF |R (0,66,255)
Teal: |CFF1CB619 |R (28,230,185)
Purple: |CFF540081 |R (80,0,129)
Yellow: |CFFFFFF01 |R (255,255,1)
Orange: |CFFFE8A0E |R (254,138,14)
Green: |CFF20C000 |R (32,192,0)
Pink: |CFFE55BB0 |R (229,91,176)
Grey: |CFF959697 |R (149,150,151)
Light Blue: |CFF7EBFF1 |R (126,191,241)
Dark Green: |CFF106246 |R (16,98,70)
Brown: |CFF4E2A04 |R (74,42,4)

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Is that what Blizzard official used or something? I just guess colors close to them.

all you need to do is screen shot all the different colours when you do the drop down to pick a colour on some map, then use the eyedrop tool thing to select the colour and look at the hex code.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
I do not think we really need another one of these, that adds nothing to what we already have, but that is just me, graveyarded unless someone feels otherwise

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.