Tutorial Cool spells

chopperpope

Reaction score
I'm goiing to teach how to create good spells, that are FUNNY, and at same time good.
I'll give examples and will give opinions about how do a spell can be created.

1st example
fire breath
first steps:
1- created a dummy unit called fire breath user with: locust, and put all animation times of this unit to ZERO!.
2- create a spell called, dummy breath, using shockwave as base. (putm mana cost to zero, and anymation to a fire one)
3 - create a HERO spell called fire breath, using shockwave as base,(put targets allowed to NONE! put no animation)

explanation: put this on hero spell.
call a strong inner fire to burn enemies in your front spawning one breath every second during some seconds.

the trigger

event - a unit starts the effect of an ability
condiction - ability beeing cast equal to fire breath.
action - set BFuser = triggerinjg unit.
- turn (Xtrigger) on.
- wait ((level of ability (fire breath) for (triggering unit)) x 5) seconds.
- turn (Xtrigger) off.

Xtrigger
event - every 1 second.
condiction - BFuser is alive
action - create 1 fire breath user for (owner of (triggering unit)) at (position of (triggering unit)).
- order (last created unit) to shockwave at (position of (BFuser)) ofset 100 facing (BFuser's facing angle).
- set 2 seconds expiration time for last created unit.

THE END

that was a cooll spell because of:
1 - special effects.
2 - its not channeling but have periodic events.
3 - its good for killing targets when following them.

BUT, THERE ARE MANY OTHER WAYS OF CRETING FUNNY SPELLS.

so, what players like on FUNNY SPELLS?
in my opinion:
1 - fast cooldown.
2 - special effects.
3 - long duration spells.
4 - SPAMMING THINgs.

"OMG! to create a funny spell I'll need a lot of knowlege about triggering! but I hate triggers!"
NO, YOU'RE WRONG, funny spells don't want to be always using triggers, or complicated triggers.

I'll show two examples of FUNNY spells that are not complicated ones:

spell without trigger

first step: create a new magic using "fan of knives" as base spell.
2nd: put magic's cooldown to 1 second.
3th: put mana cost to 10.
4th: put damage to low number.
DONE: the spell isn't rigger, and can be used lots of times SPAMMING lots of knives, and special effects.

spell with easy trigger

first step: create a new spell based on "bloodlust"(the one that automatically casts on yourself)
2nd: put magic cooldown to 3.5 seconds. and effect time to 2 seconds).
3th: create thjis trigger:
event - a unit starts the effect of an ability
condiction - ability beeing cast equal to "bloodlust".
action - create special effect overhead of triggering unit using "fan of knifes animation".
- pick all units withing 300 range of triggering unit matching (owner of (matching unit)) is an enemy og (owner of triggering unit))
action - make triggering unit damage picked unit (you chose the rest)

THE END

like U have seen, funny spells don't want to be complicated or full of triggers. you just must to do what playerss want.

remember to:
1 - never create rigged spells.
2 - never create long cooldown magics.
3 - never create useless spells.

TO finish this topic i WANT TO PUT A quiz:
please, answer it:

1) what do you thing a spell must have to be FUNNY?
2) have u ever created a funny spell? if yes, show us!

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
1) If you're going to post 'examples' (and you should have a demo map for those as well), use proper code, not hand-written stuff.

2) Your freehand code leaks...

3) What exactly is this supposed to be? If it's meant to be a tutorial, it really shouldn't be so sloppy looking

1 - special effects.
1) [SARCASM]Wow, whoop-dee-doo, nobody has ever seen special effects before, how original and cool[/SARCASM] :p
2) Same as above, just change special effects with periodic events
3) That doesn't really make the spell 'cool' - may make it useful, but useful and cool aren't the same thing (maybe if the shockwaves chased down a nearby target, then it'd be pretty cool :D)

EDIT: Damn, [SARCASM] tags aren't working :rolleyes:

dannyboydude

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
LOL sarcasm tags , id thought i herd everthing but now youve made my day flare , i dont exactly find this as a good tut to help people into making good spells .

Offtopic : My comp broken.... [ at library ] i wish i could help ...

Oh well farewell people.:thup:

Kazuga

Let the game begin...
Reaction score
First of, fix the grammar... Such as a capital letter in the beginning of a sentence. Also there are a lot of misspellings.

never create long cooldown magics.

Long cooldown fits some spells. It depends on what it does. For example, in one of the Footman maps there is an ultimate that instantly kills it's target, even heroes. But this at the cost of all the casters life (the health is set to 1%), and a very long cooldown.

shinami

Redirect your complaints to the nearest wall
Reaction score
Now why do people think that what they know ( when they obviously know not much,, emm.. well... near nothing ), other people will need it ? I learned that kind of stuff you just wrote here on my own withuot reading any damn tuts.

Also @flare's sarcasm.

Absolutely right... Cool spells cus it uses special effects! W00t?!?! Wtf? I mean even normal blizz created spells have special effects <_<

"OMG! to create a funny spell I'll need a lot of knowlege about triggering! but I hate triggers!"
NO, YOU'RE WRONG, funny spells don't want to be always using triggers, or complicated triggers.

Depends, if your trying to create a STUPIDLY funny spell, then your right.

Example of a stupidly funny spell would be : W00t pew pew i'mah shootin mah lazerz.

Kills everyone on the damn map.

If you want an interesting spell, which in my opinion would be fun to use, then you'll have to have a bucket full of triggers.

Also OMFG LOL @ THIS

funny spells don't want to be always using triggers

?!?!?!? Spells can actually want to be triggered or not?

Lets try it out.

10 minutes later.

Woa. I asked a storm bolt did he want to be triggered. And he said YES! Well since i don't want to be rude i'll trigger him.

Jagan

Reaction score
so, what players like on FUNNY SPELLS?
in my opinion:
1 - fast cooldown.
2 - special effects.
3 - long duration spells.
4 - SPAMMING THINgs.

1 It really depends on the spell and its use.
4 While it is true to some extent, I don't think I'd enjoy having my screen clogged up with so much eyecandy I can barely see anything else, let alone play the game.

remember to:
1 - never create rigged spells.
2 - never create long cooldown magics.
3 - never create useless spells.

2 *Agrees with Kazuga*
3 A spell one finds useless could actually be cool and useful to another. It's all a matter of preference, really. :)

Man-o-Bomb

Reaction score
Some time ago, i created this really cool treant spell called ''Regrow''.

The range was globall and the cooldown long.

It basicly summoned a new treant at target point, created 2 special effects Entangling Roots at casters position and target position. Then the new treant grows from 1% size to 100% and the other from 100% to 1% (and then it gets removed.

Very cool teleporting spell.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Long cd spell is cool, if same Hero has some spell with low cooldown. I myself like spells that take some aiming and can be spammed, so it doesnt hurt too much if you miss your enemy.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
you have ONE example, why use 1st example?

Also, about your only example, It leaks like a bitch and its single instance too, if another unit uses that skill during the time your useing that skill, then youll stop useing that skill because you only give room for one user
The leak in question is a point leak that happens every second because of the unit creation trigger

in the spell making process, your opinons dont matter, the guy whos reading this unorganized peice is in charge of his or her own map, he or she can choose to do whatever he or she wants of his or her map.

really, if your gona submit something in this section, please include screenshots and or code tags. Not just blobs of text and your opinons, a tutorial is suppost to help the reader make something, not to convince the reader to belive in your ideals

Ryuu

I am back with Chocolate (:
Reaction score
If you want to create a tutorial, post with a proper headline.

Cool Spells

The headline must make users interested, and must relate to your topic. You mentioned funny spells, but not cool spells.

Making Funny Spells

chopperpope said:
1 - special effects.

BUT, THERE ARE MANY OTHER WAYS OF CRETING FUNNY SPELLS.

You're funny. First you said "that was a cool spell". Then you suddenly mentioned "BUT, THERE ARE MANY OTHER WAYS OF CRETING FUNNY SPELLS."

Makes no sense, does it? First you said cool, then you said funny. You also have a lot of spelling errors, like cool (you spelled it as cooll), creating (you spelled it as creting)
I fixed them up for you:

Code:
That was a funny spell because of:
1 - special effects.

But, there are many other ways of creating funny spells! Let's take a look at some of them

Also try not to use too many capital words. I know it's good for attracting attention, but too much is an eyesore.

Lastly, I want to add that you really need to improve on your English. What are you taught in your school days?

Your Teacher said:
The first letter in every sentence must be a capital letter.

Your Teacher said:
You must check your spelling, grammar and vocabulary in every assignment/test.

Your Teacher said:
If you fail to do what I told you to do, you will result in a penalty.

Please apply simple English rules. Before you can post anything in legitimate English, you need to apply simple English rules.

It's nothing wrong to do something wrong. But the good thing about the Forums are, you are able to edit your posts. If you really want it to get approved or at least get it be read by someone, please make the following changes above.

It's human nature to ignore criticisms, as like what you're doing for the criticisms above me. But you can change that attitude. Because when we are criticising (criticizing for non-British English) you, we meant well.

If you ignore us, you're ignoring the good. ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.