Creeps returning to spawn after battles.

dem0n666

Reaction score
Edit: I tried setting the creep return guard global setting to the max, but this didn't solve the issue.

I have had this problem with every map I have ever tried to make where you have creeps trying to reach a point with battles along the way.

I give control of the units to a computer player and there is no AI. If they fight towers, everything is fine. However, if they fight other creeps, after the battle, any creeps that attacked but didn't give the final blow to any enemy creep will return back to where it was spawned and sit there.

What I have so far, is when a unit is created by say Player 1, it gives that creep control to player 11, a computer player, and it is issued the order to "Attack-Move" to a point at the other side of the map. He will go to that point as long as he doesn't encounter any opponent creeps. If he does, and he kills the creep, he will continue as ordered. However, if he attacks a creep, but a different creep kills it, he will return to the place he was spawned.

I've tried several different triggers but either they cause erratic behaviors or lots of mobs locking up or just simply don't work. Having a trigger reissue the attack-move order on any attacking mobs makes them pause and ruins the flow of battles.

How can I keep my creeps from returning to their spawn?

Turtlehead91

Reaction score
However, if he attacks a creep, but a different creep kills it, he will return to the place he was spawned.

If the creeps keep returing to the same place you could do a periodic event. sorta like
Trigger:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Region 000 <gen>
      • Time - Every 2.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
      • (Owner of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Player 11 (Dark Green)
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order (Your Unit) to Attack-Move To (Center of Region 001 <gen>)

this way when the unit is spawned it will move and if it comes back the cammand is sent out every 2 seconds. otherwhys, i sugest you brows this site. It helped me alot. http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/

dem0n666

Reaction score
I've actually done that already, but if my creeps are near the other side of the map and get into a battle, a few of them will walk all the way back to the spawn, hit the region, then walk all the way back across the map, while others who got into another fight and coming back yet again.

I know there is a better way to fix this as maps like DoTA do not have this problem.

Anyone else have an idea?

dem0n666

Reaction score
I have now done the AI - Forget (last created unit's) guard position after creating the unit and before giving the attack-move order...

What that accomplished is the creeps that would return without this command instead just stand around after a battle. I still need some way of issuing them the command to attack-move again, but can't find a way to do that. There doesn't appear to be a way to issue a command to creeps after a battle that didn't kill anything.

I know this must be possible because DoTA's creeps don't stand around after battles.

dem0n666

Reaction score
If I keep issuing the attack-move at 2.0 second intervals in regions, all the creeps that get issued the orders hesitate every 2 seconds in the middle of battle. Looks strange to keep seeing them reset like that. Makes battles look like they are studdering.

dem0n666

Reaction score
After searching for this issue all over the internet and finding dozens of posts, including one of my own about this same problem many years ago, I have found zero solutions that work. I guess other than obtaining DoTA's source code this problem can not be fixed and plagues nearly everyone who attempts to make this type of map, severely limiting the maps that get completed.

It's a huge problem with seemingly no fix. Was the reason I gave up making mods for this game years ago. Looks like history is going to repeat itself.

AoW_Hun7312

I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Reaction score
Triple posting is a no-no. Be patient.

Anyhow, you should add each unit to a unit group (two unit groups for each lane (one for each team.)) Whenever a unit dies you order all the units of the units group it's in to attack-move to the next region based on Custom Value.

yuckyducky

Reaction score
Are you making an AoS type of map? Mine had the same problem but i got it solved. My healer creep kept walking back to the spawn spot after battles. But i fixed it with AI - Ignore the guard positions of all Player 1 (Red) units. I had a spawn creep every 30 seconds trigger and a unit enters spawn area belonging to player trigger.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.