Dummy ability failing to deliver its damage

Onnings

Reaction score
Right, I have a Meteor Rain ability, which, when used, shoots 3 / 5 / 7 meteors at random enemies within an area of 500. The Hero ability is based off channel. The dummy ability is based off Inferno.

Now, the problem I'm having is that the trigger is working all fine and the projectiles are picking the correct number of random targets from the nearby enemies, but the meteor doesn't deal any damage at all.

I am considering simply triggering in some area damage from the point of the Inferno impact, but if I've simply overlooked something in my triggers or the ability editor, I would love any explanation on why this is happening.

Here's the first trigger, which fires the other ones.

Code:
MoltenRain
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Molten Rain 
    Actions
        Set Casting = (Casting unit)
        Set Dummyloc = (Position of Casting)
        Set MoltenRainInt = 0
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 500.00 of Dummyloc matching (((Owner of (Matching unit)) is an enemy of (Owner of Casting)) Equal to True)) and do (Unit Group - Add (Picked unit) to MoltenRainGroup)
        Trigger - Turn on MoltenRainLevel[(Level of Molten Rain  for Casting)]

There's three variants of this trigger, each with a varying integer condition and time frame - casting 3, 5 and 7 meteors over 5 seconds.

Code:
MoltenRain1True
    Events
        Time - Every 1.66 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                MoltenRainInt Less than 3
            Then - Actions
                Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of Casting) at Dummyloc facing Default building facing degrees
                Set dummy = (Last created unit)
                Unit - Add Molten Rain dummy to dummy
                Unit - Order dummy to Undead Dreadlord - Inferno (Position of (Random unit from MoltenRainGroup))
                Unit - Add a 1.00 second Generic expiration timer to dummy
                Set MoltenRainInt = (MoltenRainInt + 1)
            Else - Actions
                Set Casting = No unit
                Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_Dummyloc)
                Unit Group - Remove all units from MoltenRainGroup
                Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)

And this is the level-based trigger array.
Code:
TriggerArrayInit
    Events
        Map initialization
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set MoltenRainLevel[1] = MoltenRain1True <gen>
        Set MoltenRainLevel[2] = MoltenRain2True <gen>
        Set MoltenRainLevel[3] = MoltenRain3True <gen>

Anyhow, just to repeat - the triggers work perfectly - there's nothing wrong with them. The only problem is the fact that the Inferno missiles deal no damage, and does not stun any units.

The Molten Rain dummy-ability has Ground, Structure, Debris, Enemy, Neutral as targets allowed. The damage is currently set to 150. No mana cost, no cooldown.

Onnings

Reaction score
The area of effect on the dummy cast is the default of 250. Cast range is 750.

Onnings

Reaction score
Yes, the spell effect plays perfectly the ammount of times I planned it when I made the trigger, and since the spell effect is bound to the ability and not triggered, I'm sure the dummy fires its ability as it's supposed to do.

It just doesn't cause damage.

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
The problem may lie in the ability itself.
The ability is cast - but it doesn't deal damage - so the problem is the ability itself

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
I think you should maybe put a screenshot or something of the dummy spell.

Also
Unit Group - Remove all units from MoltenRainGroup
I dont think this will clean the leak. Youll need to set it to a variable and use 'call DestroyGroup (udg_MoltenRainGroup). (btw I didnt read every trigger so yeh ..)

Onnings

Reaction score
Right, here's a screenie of the actual dummy ability.

dummyability.jpg

>>The problem may lie in the ability itself
Yes, that's what I'm assuming. It is acting as if the dummy doesn't recognize the enemy units as enemies or neutral, and as thus doesn't cause damage to them. My trigger creates the dummy for 'Caster' though, so it should recognize the same enemies as the triggering player has.

I tried adding a trigger which changes all unit in the group to enemies of 'dummy' before the dummy picks targets and fires the ability, but that didn't help any.

I also tried adding 'Friends' to targets, but still it didn't damage anything.

>>I dont think this will clean the leak
Thanks for pointing that out, I'm not too steady on leaks.

Onnings

Reaction score
I hate bumping myself, but I'm pretty annoyed with this. Anybody have any ideas why the dummy ability won't damage it's target?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
if you give the ability to a unit that you control and use it, does it work? and does the target turn green when you aim the spell?

darkRae

Reaction score
Then perhaps you should have the Summoned Timer higher than Impact Delay, since probably the unit is removed before it impacts.

Yes, I was just repeating what Flare said, but I'm clarifying that the expiration timer Flare mentioned is the one in the ability, not in the trigger.

darkRae

Reaction score
O_O
But, but, if the effect did show up, yet it didn't deal damage, so the problem could be in the Object Editor, right?

If it were about the Expiration Timer in the trigger, the spell wouldn't be cast at all.

Conclusion : Try both :rolleyes: or one of them, one by one to see which one is correct^^

Onnings

Reaction score
>>try increasing ur expiration timer to 2 seconds (ive had problems with dummy inferno not doing damage, because the dummy units were removed before impact)

I already thought of this, and tried with a 5 second expiration timer. No change.

>>and bumps are allowed once every 24 hours, not after an hour...
Re-read the timestamps. I bumped over 24 hours after the last post.

Appreciate the suggestions, I'll try them out once I have the time.

>>Change that 0.01 duration to default. Look what happens. I assume delay overrides time when actual damage should be done.
That might be the solution. I'll give it a shot once I have the time.

Onnings

Reaction score
>> Change that 0.01 duration to default. Look what happens. I assume delay overrides time when actual damage should be done.

This was the actual fix - I changed the lifetime for the ability-spawned dummy to 2 seconds, and it now delivers the damage as planned. Thanks alot!

Adding rep to all you lovely people helping me out.

Case closed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.