EN7900GS Overheating

Vulcansurge

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Ive recently run into a problem occuring with my graphics card reaching higher and higher temperatures. Its an ASUS EN7900GS DDR3 256MB.

Usually, my GPU temperature would reach an average of 45c-50c while in windows and a max of 55c when im playing games, and my fan speed sits at about 25...

Now I seem to be reaching temperatures of 55c-60c normally, and over 65c during gameplay, and I have to turn the fan up to 100 just to keep it from exceeding 65c. :(

Ive installed all my drivers and any other software which came with my card including ASUS SmartDoctor which is what is reading my temperatures so high. I know my information is vague but any help is appreciated.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Ive recently run into a problem occuring with my graphics card reaching higher and higher temperatures. Its an ASUS EN7900GS DDR3 256MB.

Ive installed all my drivers and any other software which came with my card including ASUS SmartDoctor which is what is reading my temperatures so high. I know my information is vague but any help is appreciated.
Unlike your CPU (although Core 2 Duos have a hard shutdown limit at 125°C I think), your GPU can get quite hot. 65°C is definately fine. My passively cooled 6600 is about 55°C all the time (as I'm hardly ever using 3D).

What's your ambient temperature: it's not 5-10°C warmer by any means?

You may want to read this thread to get some general ideas.

Vulcansurge

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Yes, ambient temperature is higher, Its winter but my heayer is on and its about 2m away from me and my pc... And my pc was on overnight too.

Amazing, I thought 55c was hot, but I read that and you said 80c was an average.

Your a real help enouwee. you deserve my +rep and all the other rep from other people.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Yes, ambient temperature is higher, Its winter but my heayer is on and its about 2m away from me and my pc... And my pc was on overnight too.

Amazing, I thought 55c was hot, but I read that and you said 80c was an average.

Your a real help enouwee. you deserve my +rep and all the other rep from other people.

Here's a link to AnandTech's review of some NV8800 series. Newer video cards range between 50°C and 80°C. These 100s of W have to go somewhere:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2873&p=8.

If your temps raise over time, it might be a good idea to thoroughly clean your PC / fan / heatsink: after about 2 years, my P4 3.06 got up to 72°C under load and open case.

After removing it, sucking tons of dirt out of the fans and heatsink and applying new thermal grease, it fell back to 50-55°C under load and in a closed case.

Vulcansurge

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I thought that might be a problem too. I havent really cleaned my PC at all since I got it in January. Something I have to do during the holidays...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.