Enemy Sight

vi3tbomba

Reaction score
Trying to get a trigger where an enemy is facing you and is in a certain range that it will attack your unit. But if the enemy back is turned, it won't attack. So it would be like in WoW where enemies have sight. Anyone has this figured out yet? Thanks. :)

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
Is it possible to make an triangle or quadrangle shaped region that has its two lower points set to the triggering units origin, with the region's upper two points set to be equidistancedly mirrored about 300 offset north and 100 to the sides from the triggering units origin?

Or another way to do it might be create 10 or so regions of expanding size, each with separate offsets from the patrolling unit....like this:
Code:
[      reg1        ]
  [     reg2     ]
    [   reg3   ]
       [ r4 ]
         O

Then
a unit enters reg1, reg2, reg3, r4
triggering unit = enemy
order This unit to attack triggering unit
else
walk to waypoint

You'd have to set target aquisition range quite low I think, which might not be good. Or you could set it normal but have the unit ignore everything until a unit walks into the regions. Or you could make it so the unit has no attack ability, but when an enemy unit enters that region, the attack ability gets added to the unit.

I wonder if there's a way to display the line of sight visually? maybe an image with a triangle alpha channel would work. It would be the size of the regions and the point of origin for the unit would be the center point of the middle bottom of the image. The image would always face the direction of the unit and be offset by half its width (so half of the image is on either side, and the lower edge is on the center of origin) like this:
Code:
|   \   /   |
|-----O-----|

Or if the it was a texture applied to a naga tile model for example you could use vertex coloring transparencies set to ...80%?

:eek: Commandos 4 : Warcraft Styles

chovynz

Reaction score
This is true. Do you want the capability or not ;)

The good thing is you'd only need to make them once then copy and paste. Triggers can then move them to where they need to go.

chovynz

Reaction score
~~~~~Bump~~~~~

I'm not letting this topic die! I think its a great idea!! Unfortunatly I cant test or work on it now either. My editor died. Gonna be at least a week before I can do anything...in the mean time more comments from experienced coders, trigger makers, etc would be appreciated!

vi3tbomba

Reaction score
Snagged...

Ok, I kinda solved this problem, it's just to tweak it but, here's my code I've done up.

screeeny1.jpg

and when I tested this, it comes out like this.

screeeny2.jpg

So, for some reason, the undead unit is still detecting the Tourist unit in all degrees.

It works perfect with the undead unit facing 90 degrees but any other degrees the vision is messed up. Why is this?

chovynz

Reaction score
It works perfectly at 90 degrees because of your Angle from (position of (Triggering unit)) etc... lines.

Your event is covering all the degrees.
This is what it's saying:

If a unit comes within range of tourist of distance 300 in 360 degrees from tourist,
then carry on with script.

Effectively:
Code:
 _____
/     \
|  o  |
\     / 
 -----

Using regions will fix that.

You might like to use only one region like this (instead of the 4-5 regions I suggested above):

Code:
_____
|   |
|   |
|   |
|   |
--o--

the region will stay in front of the tourist
if a unit enters region (or stands still and the region passes over the unit)
then carry on with script.

If you use regions you might like to add a trigger stop like...
if unit leaves region then
trigger - stop Combat init 2b

chovynz

Reaction score
Why? If it works with regions its simple! After the unit dies you can destroy the region! No memory leaks!

D

deathtomato

Dont do it with regions. That is plain silly.
My idea: Give all the units in the game 0 sight range, and make another unit (invisible with locust) with a small sight range and place them infront and around the unit. make em move when the unit turns etc. Locust ability with a bit of tweaking?

chovynz

Reaction score
Dont do it with regions. That is plain silly.
My idea: Give all the units in the game 0 sight range, and make another unit (invisible with locust) with a small sight range and place them infront and around the unit. make em move when the unit turns etc. Locust ability with a bit of tweaking?

"Plain Silly"
Oh and whys that? Regions make it easy to detect whether or not a unit is in range. Regions have triggers that can work with them. Regions can be destoryed once finished with (i.e. tourist is killed)

You idea is good, however as I understand it (I can't test atm) a unit with 0 sight range, can't attack. Or am I thinking of aquisition range?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.