Fireball, increase damage per x yards travelled, How?

Nyrano

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a spell on my schemes... but it's quite complicated for my current skill.

This is the basic:
Casts a fireball at a target location. The fireball grows in size and damage as it travels. Upon impact with the first enemy unit it deals AoE damage and ignites the hurt units. Deals 100/130/160/200/250% base damage +20% base damage for each 100 yards travelled. Ignited enemy units burn for 100% of your base damage over 4 seconds. Costs x mana. 12 seconds cooldown. (Credits - Dinowc) (icon = Fireball)

So basically it has a set amount of damage (base damage*multiplier) plus additional 20% of my base damage for each 100 yards it travels. And then the ignite (for every unit that is hit by this AoE) over 4 seconds.

The base damage is already set by one of my triggers, so you don't have to worry about that one. Just the target location, casting a fireball, and increasing its damage every 100 yards - goes beyond my knowledge.

Any pro editor user would be nice. =]

overload119

Reaction score
Your projectile has to be triggered.

When the projectile detects impact, you must call

DistanceBetweenPoints( startingLocation, collisionLocation )

That'll give you the distance it travelled.

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
Use the damage detection system (I'm linking this a lot lately) to pick up the event when the missile hits the target, then add the distance between GDD_DamagedUnit and GDD_DamageSource to your calculations.

For example: Base damage * (normal multiplier + (distance between points / 500))

Nyrano

Reaction score
I guess that won't be a problem then, I'm just struggling where I should base this spell off.

Removed the ignite effect, btw. I was first thinking of Shockwave, changing the art and stuff. But that didn't do. Anyone has suggestions?

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
I guess that won't be a problem then, I'm just struggling where I should base this spell off.

Removed the ignite effect, btw. I was first thinking of Shockwave, changing the art and stuff. But that didn't do. Anyone has suggestions?
Really, any spell with a missile arc will do.

Cookiemaster

Reaction score
Make a dummy unit, give him the locust ability and remove it's possibilities to attack.

When the spell is cast, create this dummy unit at the caster's location, and then on short intervals of around 0.05 seconds, move the unit a distance towards the target of the ability cast, and save how far the dummy unit has traveled so far.

When the dummy unit reaches the target, deal the damage and remove the dummy unit. If you want an explosion effect, you could also kill the dummy unit (as units get cleaned up after a while of being dead, except when they're heroes), or possibly create a special effect and destroy it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.