fireball with flame strike effect

Tar-Quaeron

Reaction score
Hello,

I want to make a spell which acts exactly like flame strike (dmg, AoE cast, etc) but where the casting unit throws a fireball (projectile like troll priest, archmage, etc) at the target point before the art, effects of flame strike start. Here is the trigger I tried but it doesn't work, I do not know why. I hope you will be able to understand the badly translated French. I use map editor in French.

Trigger:
  • Déclencheur sans titre 001
    • Evénements
      • Unité - A unit Initie l'effet d'une compétence
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Egal Ã_ Boule de feu (dummy)
    • Actions
      • Unité - Create 1 Dummy (ground, non-fantôme) for Joueur 1 (Rouge) at (Target point of ability being cast) facing 0.00 degrees
      • Groupe unité - Add (Last created unit) to dummybouledeuattacked
      • Unité - Add a 1.50 second Générique expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Unité - Create 1 attack Boule de feu dummy for Joueur 1 (Rouge) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Unité - Add a 1.50 second Générique expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Groupe unité - Pick every unit in dummybouledeuattacked and do (Unité - Order (Last created unit) to Attaque une fois (Picked unit))
      • Unité - Add Boule de feu (dégats) to (Last created unit)
      • Unité - Set level of Boule de feu (dégats) for (Last created unit) to (Level of Boule de feu (dégats) for (Triggering unit))
      • Unité - Order (Last created unit) to Mage de sang humain - Choc de flammes (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_dummybouledeuattacked)

Both the attacked and attacking dummy are non-locust.

Tar-Quaeron

Reaction score
Yeah it works with attack ground. The reason it didn't work with attack unit is that first of all the attacked dummy was one of my units, and that I think the none.mdl art file does not allow you to target the unit. Thanks.

canons200

Reaction score
so, a bit understand =.=' i can barely see a weak point there. never mind i help you fix the special effect 1.

your question has few solution.
do you know you can create a special effect via trigger? so just create a special effect at the target point of ability cast. and remove it later.

or check you ability condition, make sure the buff and effect of your spell are there.

Tar-Quaeron

Reaction score
It works really nicely when I create a dummy demolisher to attack ground, and I can coordinate it really nicely with the flame strike it casts so that the overall effect is pretty cool. But somehow there seems to be a problem. When I cast it on nothing, or just 1-2 units, it's fine, but when I cast it on a lot of units, the game just breaks and frozen throne shuts down. Is that because it can't "attack ground" when there are actual enemy units all around ?

Cannons 2000: I would love to create a special effect. The thing is I don't know how to create a special effect that actually shows a projectile flying from my caster to the target point of ability being cast. I could create a projectile as an object, and make it move in an arc, etc. like Daelin explained, I think in one of his tutorials. But that seems pretty complicated. Any help, please ?

It's not so much the effect that's important, but I just want to understand exactly what's wrong, so I can improve my world-editor capacities.

canons200

Reaction score
regarding the phrase "special effect that actually shows a projectile flying from my caster to the target point of ability being cast" that is missile art.

never mind the same i help you to fix the trigger first, i don't have WE in hand now but i will give you briedly. i start in action since you have made the event and the condition.
if you see i write Set =, meaning i am using variable

action
set P_1 = position of target unit of ability being cast
special effect, create a special effect at P_1 using ability (choose the flame strike effect)
set SE_1 = Last created special effect
Wait (your desired time) seconds
special effect, destroy SE_1

Tar-Quaeron

Reaction score
But wait, that's not the problem. Flame strike effect is ok. The thing is, there is no projectile art allowed in flame strike, and I can't find any spell such that a big fireball missile art come hurling towards no specific unit and causes a flame of strike effect/damage.

canons200

Reaction score
oh, the flaming strike is the missile art. Just this missile art don't have the ball shooting to the target. So what you can do is to do as below

set P_1 = position of owner
set U_1 = target unit of ability being cast
create a dummy for owner at P_1 (Make a dummy and add your desired missile art under combat attack 1 - projectile art, set base cooldown to 1 or higher, and enable attack 1)
set U_2 = last created unit
add 1 second generic experation time to U_2
order U_2 to attack U_1

because dummy exists 1 second and dummy base cooldown is 1 second or higher, so after the dummy attack 1 time. the dummy will disappear

Tar-Quaeron

Reaction score
By the way, for anybody reading this later, I think the problem was the acquisition range of the dummy attacker. I didn't test it, but I definitely didn't change the acquisition range from the footman I used. So it probably wasn't able to fire because of that.

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
Give the unit the Sphere ability, and change the missile art to a fireball.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.