General Google Directory No Longer

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Google has quietly dropped the Google Directory.

Now if you try to access it, you will get a message that Google has removed it because it is slow and not as fast as using Google search. Google writes:

Google Directory is no longer available.
We believe that Web Search is the fastest way to find the information you need on the web.
If you prefer to browse a directory of the web, visit the Open Directory Project at dmoz.org

The Google Directory was one of the first added links to Google.com. Former Googler, Douglas Edwards's recent book described the directory addition as one of the first easy ways for Google to add more services to their site. The founders didn't think it was useful to have a directory on the site back then, but if they can make the directory easier and better to search - well, then they decided to add it.

----------------------
You used to be able to backdoor tell what your page rank was if you were listed in dmoz by using google directory. It is a shame this site is gone. It has devalued the dmoz.org project by its closure.

Last edited:

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I am surprised they did not drop it earlier. Dmoz.org sure had an influence on the old Google back in the day.... I have a section on the site history that will go into this stuff but the loss of the google directory is huge.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
I never even knew about Google Directory =/
Weird, I had to input a captcha to post..

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
I have a section on the site history that will go into this stuff but the loss of the google directory is huge.
This --> (Dmoz.org - The Helper is all up in the Dmoz and not on the TheHelper site.)?

But when was the last time anyone used a directory?

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
This --> (Dmoz.org - The Helper is all up in the Dmoz and not on the TheHelper site.)?

But when was the last time anyone used a directory?

I think that is the point. I spent alot of time on the dmoz.org project and seeing google opt out is tough. As an editor I always had a google editor profile and it was cool.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
I think that is the point. I spent alot of time on the dmoz.org project and seeing google opt out is tough. As an editor I always had a google editor profile and it was cool.
Oh crap, I didn't know you could be an editor. LOL Well, I guess it sucks then

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
This was a sad day. Google could have done so much more with dmoz but I guess they figured they had done enough with it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.