Graphics for a game I'm cooking up

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I wasn't quite sure where this post belonged, but since I'm requesting feedback on an image, I figured it should go here. (Well, the image is part of it, at least.)

Note: If you aren't really interested in where this is coming from and would simply like to provide feedback, then please feel free to skip to the red text below. Thank you.

Anyway, for a little background, I've acquired quite a bit of experience in making puzzle games this summer, but only insofar as through the World Editor. Then I saw the Game Maker thread in the Online Games Forum a couple days ago and I thought, "Wouldn't it be neat if I could design my games through my own medium?" (I was getting fairly sick of the limitations of the World Editor by that point.)

So, to keep this simple, I've been weighing the various pros and cons of creating a large-scale puzzle game via the World Editor and via Game Maker, respectively, and what they essentially boiled down to was as follows:

Because the Warcraft III engine is so advanced (relative to anything I might build on my own with Game Maker), the World Editor makes things a lot more convenient, and a lot of the grunge work is already done (when you think about it, all you have to do is place tiles and units, etc., perhaps overlaying with a few intricate triggers, but without having to worry about anything as integral as the pathing AI or combat system). Unfortunately, it doesn't have much to offer beyond that, and because I don't have any real sort of custom art resources at my disposal (95% of wc3sear.ch art is irrelevant to a non-combative puzzle game), I find myself using a very convenient editor that at the same time nearly stifles my creativity due to my having to design my puzzles around the models, skins, and icons at my disposal.

Flip that around and you get Game Maker, which is still slightly better because the creativity (which is more important) is emphasized, and the engine (which need only be 2-D, possibly isometric, but generally painstakingly simple anyway) is not that important. The only drawback? I'm not an artist. At all. That said, since I'm going to have to create the entire GUI and all the artwork for the game anyway, why not just model and skin in Warcraft? Well, the idea being that in creating my own game, I don't have to hold myself to the graphic standards of other high quality WC3 custom maps. (This is the other reason why I consider Game Maker to be the better alternative, since I wouldn't feel as if I were wasting an advanced 3-D graphics engine as I would with WC3). So, even though I'm not an artist, I still think I can pull this off by going for a cartoonish, children's book feel, without too many details and just generally something that looks nice and allows for basic interaction. Hence why I'm posting this, my basic question being,

Would this kind of look work for a basic 2-D puzzle game that I would be creating using Game Maker, or should I just design said game with the Warcraft III World Editor, limiting myself to whatever graphics I have available? I also don't really have any art experience (this being the first drawing I've made in a couple years), and I did this all with the GIMP, taking advantage of whatever tools I could learn since I can't freehand with a mouse for shit. So...

Feedback is welcomed!

Note: This is only a sample of the style of artwork/level of detail that will be used. The actual scene is incomplete and will most likely feature additional content, particularly in the top left corner of the image.

The first scene:

edit: And here's the sketch for a sprite that I drew up tonight. He's intended as the main character, and he's supposed to just look like an average American teenager (okay, okay, so without the obesity). It's not a thumbnail since that's the actual size. This will most likely be used for the front view of the character (once it's colored), with additional angles and animations for the other seven views (since I'm leaning toward the isometric 2-D option). Oh, and I also created this entirely with the GIMP, as with the first image (since I don't have a scanner or art tablet), and this one is freehand. Making nice lines is surprisingly easy when zoomed in, if you have the patience. Again,

Feedback is welcomed!

The main character:
protagonistspritedemorh0.jpg

Reaction score
I have used gamemaker for awhile and it is a good program - Fastest way to get game. It is also possible to create 3d objects for game maker, there have been tutorials. Or, anoter way to do everything, is to make 3d graphics and implent it into 2d. This way, it could look 3d being 2d. If you need, I could provide you with 3d models and stuff (My examples go here ), as I have started using 3d modeling tool not long ago and it could be a good way to train myself.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
I'm in Sweden for a few more days, but when I get back, I could see about some graphics :).

Personally, out of the world editor and game maker, game maker wins by far, the games are stand-alone (don't need any program to run them) and has more possibilities :).

I recently got a 3d program, I could use this if I need to, but right now, Fireworks is my key sprite-tool.

I'm tempted to suggest a better game making program but it takes so long to figure out sadly.

~Jindo

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Haha, thanks for your opnions, guys. I was also wondering about the picture itself, though. While graphics help would be no doubt be welcomed, at least for certain things, this is going to be such a large scale project that I want to make sure I am capable of designing the art for the majority of it, i.e. "How suitable is what I posted?"

Thanks!

The Hegemuffin

H

hey its X

Or, you could get that Xbox 360 game maker toolkit thing :D or it could be in beta so you might not be able to get it :eek:

But the image looks good, you could very well design the game in flash.

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
I abhor console gameplay :mad: - controllers and such - not to mention that I don't own an Xbox 360 (given what I just said, it would be rather silly if I did). Although, I will admit, there are some very good console games, so I'm not thumbing my nose at the content.

Anyway, thanks for your comment on the image (did you add that later? :p) I was also somewhat intrigued by your Flash suggestion. I actually have no problem with Game Maker beyond the fact that I have to do the artwork myself, and that would be the issue with Flash as well. Still, I had never actually considered it. The only thing is that I've never seen something like what I'm intending done in Flash, and I'm not sure if it would be possible to do 2-D isometric. In general, though, I know virtually nothing about Flash, so if someone could enlighten me, and if it looks like a viable option, then I would certainly consider it at least.

More importantly, I just posted another image, this one of a sketch that I worked up tonight, so...

Bumpity bump!

G

guitarplay

am i right to say that it is a game sort of like mario or a game boy game.

If so i dont know why it would have a problem in flash. If those pictures are what your gonna use, you could easily make a quick flash model, then animate it with a walk and things like that. Then it wouldent be too hard to program.

if its the game maker im thinking of, then its basicaly the same programming, with better art, a larger range of options, and can be used by anyone with flash player.

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Hmm, well again, I've never experimented with Flash. However, I will stress that this is 2-D isometric, and the gameplay is not like a Mario game at all. Isometric tiling means that the grid on which the game is built (which would look like graph paper in Mario, Pokemon, or most Game Boy games) is instead turned 45 degrees so that any "squares" are turned into "diamonds." (Yes, I know they're still "squares." I was just going for the quick explanation). In any case, the idea is that you emulate a 3-D engine using something 2-D, and a good example of this is the first Age of Empires. So, if you can do that in Flash, then sign me up, but otherwise, I need something more.

And I would remind you all that thread is primarily about artwork, though I am grateful for the other suggestions.

Thanks,

The Hegemuffin

wonderpriest

Reaction score
Hegemuffin said:
advanced 3-D graphics engine
lol.

Anyways, it would be neat to see a game in wc3 where all the models are really just images laid out on the ground, but alas, wc3 doesn't support many systems that would be used in a game like this (no full mouse detection, crappy arrow key coding, no other keyboard events), so stick with Game Maker, as it is made for this sort of thing.

Hedgemuffin said:
first Age of Empires.
And the second. Huzzah for controlling tons of little pictures that move around!

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Well, I've just figured a way to get my 3D graphics into game maker, but you'll have to wait until I get back for any previews of my theory ;).

~Jindo

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.