Has WoW peaked?

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
Age of Conan started pretty rough, indeed. They might have released it a tad bit early. But they have updates every Tuesday or something like that and their graphics, gameplay, animations, quests, spells, creatures, all the stuff that makes a fun MMORPG improves with each one. My brother has been playing the game since it came out. I've not played much into it myself besides an hour here and there but I can vouch that it has been dramatically improving. It still might falter from WoW a tad bit but it is eventually, and quite quickly, going to be greater than WoW in every way. This is coming from someone who had a level 70 until I couldn't afford it.

Of course, it will never beat WoW because it has too much of a hardcore fanbase of addicts but I feel it is still a better game. :)

Asehujiko

Reaction score
That's what makes it fair, only pure skills, everyone can beat everyone not some Epic Arena Geared Affliction Warlock that's just DoT you up and ur dead
:mad:

Just beacuse they have alot of time to spend on farming Arena.

Having to grind 2 days everytime you got jumped by your rock/paper/scissors superior =/= skill

There are other drawbacks as well:
-The only thing the majority of the community is interested in is how to be a dick as much as possible.
-The devs claims get more ambitious with every update but the only proof other then their word we got are some very low quality screenshots of some empty landscapes.
-10.000 players in a map that takes 12 hours to cross mounted using an fps based physics system with absolutely 0 instancing? "very scaleable system requirements" yes you could scale the sides of the router needed to play that, just bring some oxygen tanks, the atmosphere is quite thin up there.

Even if the technical problems get sorted, i wouldn't want to play a game almost exclusively populated by people who think they are superior beings(exact quote from their forums...) for harrasing everybody who doesn't agree with them.

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
Um... we are talking about skill? There is not much skill in WoW. Sure, you can suck at it, but only if you are a total idiot because there is no way you can get to 70 without learning at least SOME of the right moves. But skill in WoW only goes to some extent, which is knowing what talents to spend and what abilities to spam when... and of course... what items to get. In the end, it's all about how much of your life you can waste in the shortest amount of time possible, and what items you have.

quraji

zap
Reaction score
I've played WoW off and on for a while and I have to say that I personally find it very tedious and hard to play often.

The most fun time I've had playing were when I was first leveling up a character, and sometimes when I raid or do random stuff with friends. But there's a lot of time spent in between these fun times doing really boring stuff. For the most part you really have to be max level with good gear to enjoy the game, which is kind of lame, especially for people like myself who like making alts and whatnot.

I understand that content is more rewarding when you have to work for it, but I think WoW is a little over the top in that aspect. But, not only is it hard to balance content like that, but there's no way Blizzard can change the game now to make the end-game stuff more accessible and easier to achieve. Tons of people would be outraged about how they work so hard and all that (look at end-game raiding guilds complain and complain about good heroic badge rewards).

Anyways, I'm just trying to say that personally I seldom find myself in the mood to play anymore, so for me, WoW peaked a long time ago.

punwisp

Reaction score
I personally like Guilds wars, the games more about content then 50%+ time leveling, THEN you see some goodies, guilds wars focuses on content like end game content, though I think it would fit the game if it had at least 40 levels, 20 seems easy but its meant to be easy. Good graphics and everything. In fact lot of mechanics, messaging, looking at your char while equipping items, inventory they basically got it from guild wars. Though I don't like how you fight in guild wars, clicking someone and it auto attacks them, like you auto charge at them, it can get annoying. Though they have things wow should have had

Its very stressful having to spend like 2-3 months to get to 60-70 and then be able to experience fun, and the game is way to repetitive

Asehujiko

Reaction score
In fact lot of mechanics, messaging, looking at your char while equipping items, inventory they basically got it from guild wars.

So guild wars is older then diablo 1 then? that's the oldest blizzard game using the inventory/equipment model they still use now. The ingame chat is also alot older then you seem to think.

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
WoW has peaked? I doubt it.

People think it's tedious/boring, but once you get to the end of the game it really opens up. Arena, as much as it messes the game up, is really fun. Going 2 on 2 with a buddy is always intense and exciting. Raiding is also quite awesome, because you have to strategize and work together.

Level up together with a friend/sibling, run instances, and do the cool quests (duskwood/dustwallow, great for alliance). Any game is gonna suck when you make yourself do nothing but grind for three hours straight listening to your power metal that all sounds the same.

Playing the auction house can be fun if you do it right, as well as trying to make some cash through professions. Fiddling with the economy is a nice break from the combat, and can prove to be fruitful.

So, I think WoW has a lot to offer if you look in the right places.

To the Skill Issue: There's plenty of skill needed in arena/raiding. Sure, not if you've done it a thousand times, and not if its gruuls/kara but, knowing what to do in it is key and responding to the boss right is key. It takes skill, or at least logic, to stay alive.

As for Arena, it does take skill unless you're a warrior (MS/spamstring), and even then there's coordinating attacks, finding positions to attack from and setting traps (shadowmeld hunter waiting while everyone charges for you, always the classic). It takes some thinking, not just 'lets juzt get em guyz!1'.

Oh, and WotLK is going to be awesome. FYI.

quraji

zap
Reaction score
First let me say raiding is what I enjoy most about WoW.

That said, it gets lame repeating the same instances over and over and over again. The first time through a raid is very fun, because everything is a new experience. But after the first few times it starts to be boring and just a chore.

Not to mention that most guilds that don't take an unreasonable amount of attempts on new bosses usually have gear reqs, meaning grinding for badges and crafted sets.

And as for raids taking skill, most fights don't. They take proper knowledge, listening, and mild reflexes. This is speaking for most fights up to BT+ (I've only been up to Hyjal on my characters, but I've done a few fights in BT on friends' characters. Beyond that it may change but I don't know (and it matters only to a relatively small raiding population).

And yes, I think WotLK will be pretty awesome so I plan on playing again when it comes out. And yes, I'm making a Death Knight.

Zurtrogx

Reaction score
quraji said:
That said, it gets lame repeating the same instances over and over and over again. The first time through a raid is very fun, because everything is a new experience. But after the first few times it starts to be boring and just a chore.
Yes, I'd have to agree with that.

Anyway, when WoW was first released (around 4 years ago, I think) it was buggy and not as good as it is now. Agree?

AoC will probably take the same path. Sure, at the moment it doesn't seem as good as WoW, but it has only been out for around 2-3 months. I mean, after playing AoC for about a week, there are heaps of things that I've notcied which WoW has and AoC doesn't. Few things off the top of my head; WoW has a better Auction House, better chat, better petition service, better website (easier to navigate through), and a much better user interface. But, as I said, AoC has only been out for around 2-3 months, and, as ArmedCitizen mentioned before, there are weekly updates which make it better.

I do agree that Blizzard does have a much bigger fanbase, me being one of the fans. I may not play WoW anymore, but I still play Warcraft III and I am looking forward to the Warcraft movie which will be coming out.

I also do know that AoC doesn't have Dx10 yet (it will in August), but I wasn't aware WoW had Dx10.

Jackal said:
I myself am not too impressed with AoC, sure it has very good skins, but the models have a jagged edge feel to them
I haven't actually noticed that.

Here is an article (on the AoC website) which I found about how "Age of Conan continues to dominate retail charts"
It is a short article. You should read it; shouldn't take too long.

Offtopic:
A difference I noticed between WC3 and WoW is that in WC3 Dun Morogh (dwarf/gnome starting area in WoW) doesn't appear on the map. It's just water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.