Help - 3D Studio Max 9 and Modeling - Help

F

Fishyx

Hi,

I neeed help with 3DS Max 9 and the Warcraft III models!
I can develop 3D models of anything perfectly find with animation
Please help! Much thanks in advance. :confused:

The problem:

1) I can't find the location of where the Warcraft III models, pics, icons are located.

2) How do I load the models into 3DS Max 9, so I could modify the unit? (modify animation, add special effect, remove parts, etc.)

3) If I created a model in 3DS how could I convert it into Warcraft III format? The programs I found only worked for cheap software like Gmax, Milkshake, or 3DS 4 and 5.

Other misc. complications:
1) Is there a way to have the camera follow a particular unit around? (nonstop and won't lag the game) If so how?
2) How am I supposed to form the terrain with only 8 tilesets? (or 10.. i forgot) Is there a way to use ALL the tilesets at once?

3) I need a way to have each player (on the same team) with shared building control but NOT shared unit control. (I want Player 1 to be able to use Player 2's barracks and have Player 1's units trained at Player'2 barracks. Same goes for Player 2. Yet I don't want Player 1 and 2 to be able to control each other's units.)

Questions:
1) Would adding custom unit models from 3DS Max lag the game if overused?

-Fishyx

M

Marduke

First of all, this is in the wrong forum. But I'll see if I can help you out any.

1) The files are located in MPQ files in the Warcraft directory. You'll need a program to extract them. Heres one of the more popular ones.
http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Tools&ID=1&sid=

2) I would assume you could just load them in, but I I have never done any modeling. Once you extract the models you can try to open them in your modelling program. If it won't load them I'd Google for a file converter.

3) As I said above, if it can't save models as .mdl, then you'd have to search for a converter.

Here is a converter for .mdx and .mdl files:
http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Tools&ID=3&sid=

1) Use trigger to lock the camera on the unit.
Code:
Camera - Lock camera target for Player # (Color) to (Unit), offset by (0.00, 0.00) using Default rotation

2) As far as I know, no. But you can make custom tilesets formed by tiles from any set.

3) Can't be done as easily as you'd like. Would probably have to give control to the other player temporarily - or just do it a different way.

1) Probably wouldn't make the game lag a whole bunch (unless they're ridiculously huge) - but it will lead to increased download times if DLing over B.net.

Hope that helps some.

Korolen

New User (Why do I keep getting those red bars?)
Reaction score
To export/import models in 3DSMax, you can export/import them to/from .obj and use the tools outlined on this page to go to/from .mdx and .obj.

I'm not sure about this alternate possibility as it only works for 3DSMax, which I don't have, but you can use the Blizzard Art Tools, which is what the original Blizzard employees used to make the models (they did it in 3DSMax).

EDIT: You may also want to use War3Viewer to extract the files from the MPQ; it's a lot better for that kind of thing.

Evote

Reaction score
lol u buy it? cause i did the war3viewer doesn't work with 3dsmax 8 i not sure bout 9

F

Fishyx

Yay! Thanks mates you guys helped alot.
Yea I bought it somewhere (I forgot) for about $3,000. Just found it stuffed in my closet and decided to put it to good use. =D

DuckieKing

Elitist Through and Through
Reaction score
To give shared building control, give buildings a Select Unit which targets allies with a big radius and no art. ;)

G

guitarplay

actualy, you should be able to find import/ export code for .mdl into .max. Im preety sure running it through a .obj would loose you some of the data (uv maps / animations) ive had that problem with .obj from blender to gmax.

google 3dsmax import script for .mdl and you may get lucky. Otherwise, look around.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.