help with acronyms

kaboo

Reaction score
yo guys, i started to help people in those forum few days ago and during these days i've seen some acronyms in post (mui, mpi, gui, wpe, ...).
can someone explain what they mean? also if i didn't mention some, post and explain them pls.
thx :p

XeNiM666

I lurk for pizza
Reaction score
MUI - Multi-Unit Instanceability. Meaning any unit can cast it at the same time without bugging.
MPI - Multi-Player Instanceability. Meaning any unit OF DIFFERENT PLAYERS can cast it at the same time without bugging.
GUI - Graphical User Interface. ( ? ) Can't explain it... It's what you see when you create a new trigger and add new events, conditions and actions.
JASS - ( ? ). The text you see when you convert a GUI trigger to text.
vJASS - ( ? ). A more advanced version of JASS. Requires NewGen
NewGen/JNPG - Jass New Generation Pack. An edited version of the World Editor that allows the vJASS syntax. Created by Vexorian ( I think... )

Hmm.. Anything else I missed? Just let me know...

XeNiM666

I lurk for pizza
Reaction score
WPE - Winsock Packet Editor
Winsock Packet Editor (WPE) Pro is a packet sniffing/editing tool which is generally used to hack multiplayer games. WPE Pro allows modification of data at TCP level. Using WPE Pro one can select a running process from the memory and modify the data sent by it before it reaches the destination. It can record packets from specific processes, then analyze the information. You can setup filters to modify the packets or even send them when you want in different intervals. WPE Pro could also be a useful tool for testing thick client applications or web applications which use applets to establish socket connections on non http ports.

As I read this I am REALLY 100% sure that it's not supported here...

kaboo

Reaction score
yeah and i forget - leak{this trigger leaks} - i know its not acronym but dont wanna start new thread just for this one. from the sentences i think its used on triggers that dont work correctly all the time{=when some conditions are met the trigger wont work}. am i right?

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
GUI is as XeNiM666 said "Graphical User Interface".
It is ususally when you have a graphical user interface of some kind, which means that the panel where you have the map, unit info and abilities on the bottom of wc3 is also a form of GUI.
In WE it ususally reffers to the GUI form of JASS, when you are working in the trigger editor without converting to triggers to text:)

It got a bit messy, but I hope it helps a bit:D

Edit: A trigger leak is when a trigger leaks memory, ususally caused by a handle leak. Such as groups, locations and so on..

Example:
Point variable = Point
Code:
Point = random location in playable map area
//Use Point
Custom text: call RemoveLocation( udg_Point )
And that is how to properly use a point variable with cleaning;)

Edit2: Oh, and a memory leak is when you got something like this:
Code:
The first location saved at point won't be cleaned. The second set causes Point to point at the new value instead of the old, thus losing track of it in the memory, thus causing a leak.

kaboo

Reaction score
thx, but then why most people here store position of unit into a point and then after some actions they remove the point instead of using the position itself?
(hope you understand what i mean)

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Beacuse each time that you use something like:

Spawn 1 footman at (random point in playable map area)
The game creates a new point every time.
And if that point is not stored in a value then the game will lose it have it laying around in the memory.

Think of it as a room with socks.

If you just throw around your socks everywhere, then you will come to a point when the whole room is filled with them and you can't move(lag) when you are in the room;)

Thus we do this:

Code:
Spawn 1 footman at (Point)

Thus creating the point, storing it in a point variable, then using it with the help of the variable and then removing it;)

kaboo

Reaction score
understood, i though till now that when i use random point in map it creates and deletes the point immediatly, to the custom script:
call RemoveLocation(udg_" -this part is always the same and "point" is name of the variable?
for example if i want to this with a unit variable i will use custom script:
call RemoveUnit(udg_unit)

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Exactly. You got that pretty quick. There are other ways to remove other types of leaks, but I have not done anything like that in WE for a long time, so I don't remember them. There are a few tutorials on leak removal in the tutorials section, perhaps you should read up a bit there;)

Executor

I see you
Reaction score
Well I just want to be sure that you got it right:

It hasn't to be udg_"unit".. "unit" is just the type of the variable:

for ex:

unit udg_hero
unit udg_caster
unit udg_dummy
location udg_pos
location udg_spawn
trigger udg_chatenter

you can use whatever you like after the "udg_".. well you add the vars in the GUI dialog I think so you even don't have to mention the "udg_"

If you add an variable to the GUI dialog it's automatically added to the jass script as udg_"yourInput".

All you write in triggers [Events,Conditions,Actions] is directly added to the jass script (nearly always in an unefficient and senseless way :)).

kaboo

Reaction score
now something strange got my mind,
-to remove those leaks i have to store the position(unit,...) into a variable and then remove it
-that are two more actions needed for everytime i use it
-the question is: wont this make the map loading longer?

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
now something strange got my mind,
-to remove those leaks i have to store the position(unit,...) into a variable and then remove it
-that are two more actions needed for everytime i use it
-the question is: wont this make the map loading longer?

Not really, its better than having a laggy map.

kaboo

Reaction score
is something like this possible to use?
Code:
call RemoveLocation(udg_(Position of (Casting Unit)))

Yizzy

Reaction score
no, the function call
Code:
(Position of (Casting Unit))
returns a loc, if you don't store the pointer in a variable then it will be lost

btw
udg is an acronym for user-defined-global

as (Position of (Casting Unit)) will be GetUnitLoc(GetSpellAbilityUnit()) in jass

you could do:

but that would only create a new loc, and then destory it, without you beeing able to use it, or removing any previous leak..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.