Help with the Tinker

Siefer

Reaction score
Its been awhile since I've been here...anyways. I was wondering if you guys can help me with a Tinker hero I've been making.
I've given it a model airplane ability, in which it shoots out tiny airplanes that shoot things near him. Its based off of Locust Swarm. However, when I use it, it turns the Tinker into his Robo-Goblin model. I've been trying everything to stop this from happening. In the end, I've come to two conclusions, I either have to give him a different model, or a different ability.
I'm definitely not doing the first one, and I would really not like to do the second one. Any ideas? I like him the way he is! I just need him to stop transforming without my permission!

Also-I've kept his Robo-Goblin ultimate. Even when I take it off, he still goes into it though.

D

dArKzEr0

Go into the ability editor and check what it says for "Text - Order String - Use/Turn On" it should say "Locustswarm", yes?

dArKz

Jazradel

Helping people do more by doing less.
Reaction score
This is a model problem. There are two ways to solve your problem. Use a dummy ability and use triggering to create the aeroplanes. Or use a custom model so the tinker doesn't have his alternate form.

Oh darkwhatever you beat me too it and with a better answer too.

D

dArKzEr0

Lol, I was about to delete my post thinking I said something entirely useless, after reading your post. I guess ONE of us is right...

dArKz

Siefer

Reaction score
Its been a long time since I made this post. I went back to see if I ever made a thread on this forum, and found I did. Ends up, I forgot all about this map. Time to get started again.
Anyways, I decided to opt for Jazradel's method (I forgot why, I think it is because the other way didn't work).
Now the ability is not working past level 1.
And I'm doing it extremely complicated. I'm a noob.
Right now my code is some actions, setting variables, and a string of IF-Then-Else actions (4 of them, one for each level of the ability). I didn't think it would work, and I was proved right when it didn't go past level 1.
Anyways, any suggestions? I have a feeling that there must be an easier way to do this.
Tell me if you need to see my trigger to make it work (I'm kind of embarrased of it)

Siefer

Reaction score
Please help!!!

Please help me!

What works: The tinker now doesn't change anymore. Also, level one of the ability works perfectly.

What doesn't work: The ability doesn't work past level one.

My First Trigger:

Code:
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to RC Plane 
    Actions
        Set tinkercaster = (Casting unit)
        Unit - Create 1 Airplane Dummy for (Owner of tinkercaster) at (Position of (Casting unit)) facing (Position of tinkercaster)
        Set tinkerplanes[1] = (Last created unit)
        Trigger - Turn on Tinker Planes Move <gen>
        Set tinkerplanes[1] = tinkerplanes[(Level of RC Plane  for tinkercaster)]
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                tinkerplanes[(Level of RC Plane  for tinkercaster)] Equal to tinkerplanes[1]
            Then - Actions
                Unit - Add RC Plane (Level 1) to tinkerplanes[1]
                Unit - Order tinkerplanes[1] to Undead Crypt Lord - Locust Swarm
            Else - Actions
                    If - Conditions
                        tinkerplanes[(Level of RC Plane  for tinkercaster)] Equal to tinkerplanes[2]
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit - Add RC Plane (Level 2) to tinkerplanes[2]
                        Unit - Order tinkerplanes[2] to Undead Crypt Lord - Locust Swarm
                    Else - Actions
                            If - Conditions
                                tinkerplanes[(Level of RC Plane  for tinkercaster)] Equal to tinkerplanes[3]
                            Then - Actions
                                Unit - Add RC Plane (Level 3) to tinkerplanes[3]
                                Unit - Order tinkerplanes[3] to Undead Crypt Lord - Locust Swarm
                            Else - Actions
                                    If - Conditions
                                        tinkerplanes[(Level of RC Plane  for tinkercaster)] Equal to tinkerplanes[4]
                                    Then - Actions
                                        Unit - Add RC Plane (Level 4) to tinkerplanes[4]
                                        Unit - Order tinkerplanes[4] to Undead Crypt Lord - Locust Swarm
                                    Else - Actions

My Second Trigger:

Code:
Events
        Time - Every 0.50 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        Unit - Move tinkerplanes[(Level of RC Plane  for tinkercaster)] instantly to (Position of tinkercaster)

I know it may seem overcomplicated, but thats also why I'm asking for help. Could somone help?

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> Set tinkerplanes[1] = (Last created unit)

Until there, looks OK.
However, then comes:

> Set tinkerplanes[1] = tinkerplanes[(Level of RC Plane for tinkercaster)]

If level = 1, this will set the unit to itself. Which is somewhat useless, but it still works.
What do you expect tinkerplanes[1] to be if that level was 2 or more?

> I know it may seem overcomplicated.

Agreed.
Maybe if you added a short description of what that ability or this trigger is supposed to do...

S

=Scotvenom=

Code:
Set tinkerplanes[1] = tinkerplanes[(Level of RC Plane  for tinkercaster)]
If - Conditions
tinkerplanes[(Level of RC Plane  for tinkercaster)] Equal to tinkerplanes[1]
This condition will always be true. Because you are using If/Else the first level code only will be used each time. Perhaps you need to remove the first line I've quoted, relocating to some sort of init function or removing other If statements from the Else sections of the previous If statements.

Siefer

Reaction score
>>Maybe if you added a short description of what that ability or this trigger is supposed to do...

Basically, what I want is my dummy unit to cast an ability to make planes follow him around (like locust swarm), and then the 2nd trigger will make it constantly follow the tinker, making it look like the tinker cast the ability. There is a reason why I want the dummy unit to cast it, instead of giving it straight to the hero. So basically, what I'm trying to accomplish, is to give a dummy unit different levels of an ability depending on the level of the spell the hero cast is. And I'm trying to do that in, hopefully, < 2 triggers.

>>...or removing other If statements from the Else sections of the previous If statements.

What does that mean?

Thanks for helping, guys!

AceHart

Reaction score
> Give a dummy unit different levels of an ability depending on the level of the spell the hero cast is.

All you really need is one dummy ability, with the same number of levels than the Hero one.
Unit - Set level of "Dummy ability" for Dummy to (Level of "Hero ability" for (Casting unit)).

Which should reduce your initial trigger to some 5+ lines...

Siefer

Reaction score
AceHart said:
All you really need is one dummy ability, with the same number of levels than the Hero one.
Unit - Set level of "Dummy ability" for Dummy to (Level of "Hero ability" for (Casting unit)).

Which should reduce your initial trigger to some 5+ lines...

Doh! Stupid me! I knew about it, but I forgot about it.
I feel like such a noob. :(

Anyways, I'll give the ability another go.

Siefer

Reaction score
I seem to be still having problems here. I tried to go a different method. But now, the ability only works sometimes. I'd like to have it work ALL THE TIME.
I am not sure why this is happening, either.

Here is my current code.
What I want to know is:
1)Why it won't won't work all the time.
2)How I can fix it.
3)And, if possible, how to make the ability better.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Sorry for all the work.

Code:
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to RC Plane 
    Actions
        Set tinkercaster = (Casting unit)
        Unit - Create 1 Airplane Dummy for (Owner of tinkercaster) at (Position of (Casting unit)) facing (Position of tinkercaster)
        Set tinkerplanes = (Last created unit)
        Trigger - Turn on Tinker Planes Move <gen>
        Unit - Add RC Plane (Level 1) to tinkerplanes
        Unit - Set level of RC Plane (Level 1) for tinkerplanes to (Level of RC Plane  for tinkercaster)
        Unit - Order tinkerplanes to Undead Crypt Lord - Locust Swarm
        Unit - Add a 30.00 second Generic expiration timer to tinkerplanes
        Set tinker_timer = (Last started timer)

By the way, thank you guys who helped me to get this far. Its working more than it was last time, at least.

AceHart

Reaction score
> Trigger - Turn on Tinker Planes Move <gen>

What is that one doing?

> Unit - Add a 30.00 second ...

30 seconds? To cast one Locust swarm?

> Set tinker_timer = (Last started timer)

What's this supposed to do?
You have an expiration timer. That's all there is to it.

Siefer

Reaction score
lol. Oops, forgot to take away that last action.

Well, I have a Tinker Planes Move trigger which constantly teleports the dummy unit to the Tinker. That way, he won't stay in the same spot (which is what I was afraid of), and it will seem like the planes are following the Tinker.

30 seconds? To cast one Locust swarm?

What does that mean?

AceHart

Reaction score
> What does that mean?

Ignore that.

Works sometimes? Hm...
Do you see some pattern there?
Works the first time, then doesn't the second?
Second only works after first is done completely?

Siefer

Reaction score
Hm... well, it usually doesn't work the first time. And thats all I can think of for right now. I'll check on that right away.
By the way, thanks again for helping me.

AceHart

Reaction score
> it usually doesn't work the first time

You do know, of course, that this is a terrific problem description?

As a wild guess, or last resort, whichever you prefer, disable any trigger not strictly needed for your spell.
Then see again if it's more, hm..., "stable".
Or, at least, if there's some consistency.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.