Historical Wars v.Beta

K

kuLt.G_Hoern

Hi, I made my own map, and I need people to test it, tell me what they think needs to be balanced/fixed/added/improved and what they like/don't like about it. The map is in style of ToK: Boreal Conflict/Civilization Wars.
It's a strategic map, so don't bother playing if you're not into such maps.
I need you to rate it from 1 - 10 for me and tell me your opinion about the game.

Note: This game is NOT finished, I will add more units/abilities/ages etc.

Download-Link:
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9653&d=1182051122

WindexGlow

Reaction score
I might test it. But you state that you need helpers ( as in right now) and than tell us the map isn't finished, make up your mind.

K

kuLt.G_Hoern

ooops nearly forgot, here is the map, lol forgot to attach it^^:banghead:

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Pretty much everything in the Abilities folder leaks.
There are point leaks, group leaks, leak leaks.

WindexGlow

Reaction score
The terrain is pretty bad, at some spots it looked as if you discovered a new doodad, and decided to include it in your map (waterfalls on the left side)
The terrain is very bland, no doodads or different terrain to break it up. Not even a elevation difference.

Most of the triggers can be combined with another trigger to make your total triggers small, probably around 70-100.

As elmstfreddie said, most of the triggers leak. I'm going to test the game now, $50 says it's pretty bad.
>>EDIT::
And I guessed right, it's a huge ripoff of another game (tech wars I think it's called, likely wrong) You can fill your entire base with buildings after a short while, I woudn't be surprised if you had 50 unique units (buildings included) the other 50 are copies of the 50 orignal unique units, with a different name. The other 40 units are fill-units.

The combat is pretty boring, units spawn too fast at the same time to actually do anything. You can spawn units right in the middle of your enemies base if you wanted to.

Buildings build too fast, I'm sure it's possible to get 3 units into your enemies base, and build watchtowers pretty quickly.

Units are not unique, they do not have very many unique stats, no unique unit portraits, no custom color, no custom unit scale, no custom turn value, no custom point value, almost nothing. The game I am working on (currently taking a break from that one) has over 200 units. That's without dummy units, heroes, buildings (buildings add around another 50).
And guess what, I only have 5/15 of the races for that game. That's alot of units, compared to your likely copied and pasted units. (I don't copy and paste my units, they all have custom values and balanced uniquely)

So overall, it's a pretty bad game. The terrain likely needs to be scraped (try a unique land style that hasn't been used in games, such as a U or S pattern path) with reduced unit scale (decrease collision size also)
Unique units, that actually vary instead of being a small increase than the old unit
More variation in unit price
More buildings that are unique, instead of being the normal orc buildings.

Air units (if they are not there yet) that shoot out special effects every so often, land units that attack air units or navy units speficly.

Some unique ideas that are not used in a game before, story line (Don't make a cliche` story line)

K

kuLt.G_Hoern

ok. 1st of all i know the terrain sucks, im pretty bad at that, and ill have to find someone to fix it for me. just not my thing the terrain stuff....
2nd i swear i didnt just copy and paste units, i try to make them as different as possible...
3rd the abilities dont all leak and the ones that suck will be fixed (earth's wrath, conversion, good spirits etc...)
4th i know i dont have any custom skins and so on (except the attack/defense-type-pictures) and i dont really want to add too many like in other games, so that you can download it very fast. of course ill try to add a few custom skins later on, but i dont wanna exceed 750kb size. also map-picture and stuff will come in the end. and for the flying units-thing, it'll come as i said i was going to add more ages, which i am doing right now (industrial age), this age will have new units/abilities/buildings/technologies and air-units, which are similar to ships. for the '200 units and the game isnt even finished' thing, i cant possibly add that many units(especially not without making them pretty much the same) and it'd make the size of the map too huge. i only worked on the map you played 3 weeks, and it's still in progress, so please dont be too hasty judging it, its just a rough map yet....
well thanks anyway for testing

K

kuLt.G_Hoern

Historic Wars v0.90 --UPDATED--

Alright, after some whole lot of work, I finally got a map thats 99% playable. I added another age, new skills, units, modes. Also most bugs are fixed and units are more balanced than before. Map-size and loading-time have been optimized with a few tools to make the game more enjoyable.

-The terrain is still same, I need help with that
-I'll most likely add a 4th age later on
-I'll keep on updating the map, adding units, modes and balancing it.
-I don't care if I don't have 500 units all with custom skins, pictures and JASS-enhanced spells, I got a life so I can't spend 24/7 on this, and no one wants to play a 1gb map!

So please just give it a try and tell me what you think, except about the terrain, I already know that, and I know most people want more players....

Attachments

• Historic Wars v0.90.w3x
    295.2 KB · Views: 183
K

kuLt.G_Hoern

The terrain is pretty bad
Most of the triggers can be combined with another trigger to make your total triggers small, probably around 70-100.
And I guessed right, it's a huge ripoff of another game (tech wars I think it's called, likely wrong)
You can fill your entire base with buildings after a short while
The combat is pretty boring, units spawn too fast at the same time to actually do anything. You can spawn units right in the middle of your enemies base if you wanted to.
Buildings build too fast, I'm sure it's possible to get 3 units into your enemies base, and build watchtowers pretty quickly.

Alright 1st of all I fixed the you can 'build anywhere' ages ago, you can't build outside your base now, and 2nd of all, the buildings dont take that short too build, if you wanna build a tower it'd take 40 seconds and it'd be dead by then, aswell as that towers cost too much to risk that. Also, you say it's a huge rip-off, look at 101% of the games in development, they all are 'rip-offs' if you want to call em that, there are not so many types of maps, that you can always have something new, thats why you dont go around telling people their map is a rip-off of dota, cause half the maps being made are an AoS.
Then you say the units spawn too early to do nothing...
If the units would take down the enemies base in the 1st minute then where would the sense be? In most games, attacks increase greatly towards the end of the game! You dont spawn 20 units right at the start so the game lasts 5 minutes!
Anyway, if you actually wanna help, then you can actually say what can be improved, cause you are just saying you dont like something, while not saying how it can be fixed? Anyway hope you help next time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.