How to make a seemingly simple custom ability

unpro

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to using world editor and the only reason why I am learning it is to modify a existing map for balance and to tweak some features. So far, I have successfully managed to add additional player slots, which includes adjusting the multiboard to include those slots, and various relevant triggers.

However, I'm stumped on this newbie problem, despite reading through all the tutorials available on it. I would like to add an ability which is AOE, slowing and revealing any enemy unit caught in it. My first idea was to create a breath of fire, that debuffed enemy units with slow and faerie fire. To my chagrin, I couldn't find the options required to apply the debuff. The closest was "Stats - Buffs" and "Stats - Effects" which didn't work for me. Also, there wasn't any option to adjust the slow and faerie fire anyway.

So, my next idea was slightly more complicated: creating a trigger to detect the "Breath of Fire" debuff upon casting of the ability, and applying the relevent debuffs. However, before I started trying out, I realised the debuff "Breath of Fire" would show up on the affected units and this would look pretty bad. Googling referred to a Buff Editor which I couldn't locate in world editor...

Thus, I hope you guys can help me out here. What is the best way to go about this? What are the pros and cons of the different methods?

Thank you for any help here!

reyghost

Reaction score
Uf i can't tell you pros and cons,but i have an idea.
I would better use flamestrike ability to set the AOE,remove all values and effects u dont want from that ability.
Then create a trigger that runs when ability is casted check the ability casted so that its yours.then make a unitgroup containig the enemy units within X range of the target point of ability being cast(remember to set these values the same u set on the object editor for the flamestrike AOE)and order the dummies to faerie fire and slow(take the spell u want for example necromancers cripple) all the units on that unit group.

Note: I have supposed you know how to manage all this in trigger editor,if its no the case tell me i can try making it for you.
Note2:As u can see im not a very old member and my knowledge on the matter is not very big ,though im quite sure i can deal with that and that it will work.
Note3:I forgot: Welcome to the Forum ¡¡ :)

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
It could be easier if you just create a dummy shade at the center of this aoe spell for the revealing part and then picking every unit within some range and setting their movement speed to some value then wait some time and reset it to default. I think there is a function that does this (changing the movement speed).

I forgot: Welcome to the Forum

: )) hehe
he should be welcoming us ^^
he joined thehelper.net in "Join Date: Sep 2006"

Naga'sShadow

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The fact you want it in a cone is going to make the spell horribly complicated. First off you said you didn't see the buff editor? Are you using the frozen throne or rain of chaos. If the answer is rain of chaos I suggest upgrading to the frozen throne. The RoC world editor is vastly inferior and I can't help you with it. If that's not the issue you should be able to alter the buffs tooltip in the buff editor as you need it and just have it go away immediately. You then would need to create a trigger that on the cast of your spell selected units in the area, just select the target of the spell and everything in a radius. Its not perfect but much easier than finding the exact dimension of the cone. Anyway then cast a faire fire spell on everything in the area of effect.

unpro

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I would prefer it in a cone, so I will be trying this way unless it isn't possible or really complicated, upon which I would be trying out reyghost's tip.

I managed to find the buff editor(under object editor, rather than beside it), and managed to set up the dummy unit plus the trigger to apply the buffs, but found out that breath of fire doesn't apply a buff by default and refuses to apply any custom buffs via "Stats - Buffs". Therefore, the trigger cannot detect which unit has been affected by the aoe spell. Does anyone know how to make breath of fire apply a buff?

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to make breath of fire apply a buff?

You were close : ))

Use breath of frost instead ^^.

reyghost

Reaction score
Default Breath of fire does not apply buff unless the affected unit is also under "Drunken Haze"(I think, its the other pandaren's brewmaster default ability).So as above post say try breath of frost and change the cone effect to a cone of fire.

If u really want to do it with a cone the best way ,in my opinion, detect the specific buff the affected units have to make a unitgroup with them and use the faerie and slow on the units of this group.

unpro

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on breath of frost!

The next problem I run into is the trigger:

Code:
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) matching (((Triggering unit) has buff Sticky Spray! ) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)

I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be triggering unit, but I can't find a suitable option to choose.
Also, I vaguely remember reading in a tutorial that I have to put in a wait because buffs aren't instantly applied. I can't remember the wait length though. Furthermore, I have 2 units casting this spell, will the wait make it non-MUI?

reyghost

Reaction score
Its matching unit always that you have a "matching..." condition use matching unit
The wait you used should be more than enought, I have made spells like this and it worked for me even with 0.55 sec no np there.
About MUI i have 0 idea sorry. :)

Yoshii

Reaction score
almost positive the wait could screw thing up if 2 hero cast the spell within 1sec; because it use position of triggering unit so 2 unit casting the spell within 1 sec and one being at the opposite side of the map could very well be used as position of trigering unit kinda hard to test

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
almost positive the wait could screw thing up if 2 hero cast the spell within 1sec; because it use position of triggering unit so 2 unit casting the spell within 1 sec and one being at the opposite side of the map could very well be used as position of trigering unit kinda hard to test

Triggering Unit is MUI. it survives the 1 second wait and the trigger works.

unpro

Reaction score
Matching works perfectly, thanks for that tip! Lovely to know that it's MUI too =).

Unfortunately, the next problem is just waiting in line. Testing revealed that breath of frost does not hit/debuff invisible units, so the dummy units cannot do their job. How do I make breath of frost hit invisible units?

The next problem I foresee is the dummy units not being able to see the targets. Will they be able to? I initially thought this was the problem, so I went to make the dummy units spawn at picked unit(the enemy units in AOE), and having 100 sight radius and truesight. Is this a good or bad idea?

Joccaren

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I think the point of not being able to affect invisible units is the fact that they are invisible and ae immune to most types of damage because of this. Take the shade in a melee map for example, the only way to kill it is with true sight or a lucky blast from Flam Strike.

If you have to target invisi's, just create a shade at the centre of the target area and change its model to .mdl

unpro

Reaction score
I have always seen and thus expected AOE effects to affect invisible units, i.e. flame strike, fan of knives, breath of fire; so I was quite surprised to find out that breath of frost isn't the same.

I do not understand your suggestion. What do you mean by change its model to .mdl? And wouldn't the true sight come in too late as the trigger to create the shade is triggered by the casting of the ability, by which then the ability would have run it's course before true sight reveals the invisible units?

unpro

Reaction score
I made
Code:
Unit - Create 1 Shade for (Triggering player) at ((Position of (Triggering unit)) offset by 400.00 towards (Facing of (Triggering unit)) degrees) facing 0.00 degrees
the first action after the ability is casted, and it seems that the true sight is not fast enough to allow the spell to debuff the invisible units. So, your suggestion does not work, any other ideas to make it work?

Joccaren

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
changing the model to .mdl makes the unit have no model. So, when you create your 'Dummy' shade after casting the spell, where normally you would see a shade where you spawned it, you will see just the shadow of the shade, which can also be removed.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.