Tutorial Importing Models - Basic Tutorial from start to end !

zoll3

Reaction score
Importing Models - Basic Tutorial

Introduction:

Step 1: Finding your model.
Step 2: Importing.
Step 3: Insert the model.
Step 4: Game Interface icon.
Step 5: Results.

Step 1: Finding your model.

Ok lets start. Now i dont know if you allready got a site you want a model from .. Anyway as example i use the www.hiveworkshop.com . When you are in the site .. Go to the menu , and click "Models" . in there you roll a little down and see this :

screenshot1.JPG

At the red spot "Unit" you mark it .. ( or what category you want ) .
Now we are going to find our model .. and im gonna use the Zealot as example .. if u roll a little down u see it :

screenshot2.JPG

Now you press at the text titled "Zealot.zip" down there and "save target as" . There you go .. now you should have the model on where ever you saved it.
We need to extract it ! right click on the zip folder and press "Extract here" . now you should have another folder unzipped named "Footman" go into that folder and you see "Zealot.blp" , "Zealot.mdx" , "Zealot_portrait.mdx" , and "readme.txt" . Follow down to step 2 .

Step 2: Importing.

Ok now minimize your folder named footman , go into Warcraft III: World Editor , and open your map . In there you Go to the import manager , that should be under "Modules" , or just press F12 . Now a big white box comes up , and in there You go to "File" , and then "Import File" .. Or you can just press Ctrl+I . Now go find the folder titled footman and import the file "Zealot.mdx" , after you done that . import the 2 other files titled "Zealot.blp" , and "Zealot_portrait.mdx" . Ok now you can see the 3 files you imported in the white box .. and then you right click on the "Zealot.mdx" file , and press "Modify File Properties" . Mark the "Use Custom Path" and delete the text and write "Zealot.mdx" , now go to the file "Zealot_portrait.mdx" and right click , go modify file properties , and write at custom path this "Zealot_portrait.mdx" . good , now go right click on the Zealot.blp and "Modify File Properties" go write the custom path like this : "Footman/Zealot.blp" , Done that ?`good .. now it should look like this :

screenshot3.JPG

Okay now we are soon finish with this step , just one more thing before going to insert the model . Now save your map , and close the world editor .. go to your C:Drive , and Program files , Warcraft 3 , and in that folder you are in now .. you put in the 3 files "Zealot.mdx" , "Zealot_Portrait.mdx" , and "Zealot.blp" ... Now open up your Warcraft III: World Editor again , and follow to step 3 .

Step 3: Insert the model.

When you have opened your world editor , and loaded your map . Go to the Object Editor , or just go the easy way and press F6 , anyway now make a custom unit .. and as an example i just make the footman . when u made it .. then click on the custom unit ( footman ) and set the "Art - Model File"

screenshot4.JPG

( double click the marked spot ) and press the "Import" and find the Zealot.mdx :

screenshot5.JPG

Then press OK , and go to Step 4 .

Step 4: Game interface icon.

Ok now you have imported the model and so , now i will tell you how to get the Icon of the model to work .. And as i explained before you import the icon file and so on .. In this Zealot package , there isnt an icon , but in most model files there will be an icon , and it usaly be called something like "BTNname.blp" or something like that , anyway . when you imported it and so .. you save your map , close the world editor .. go put the btn icon into the warcraft 3 folder .. now open world editor again , and go Object editor (F6) ..... Now find the custom unit , and then you find this:

screenshot6.JPG

There you go as before and mark the import , and choose the btn icon .. thats it ! .

Step 5: Results.

Ok after doing all that stuff , and so .. you should have found this (if u used the zealot ) :

lastss.JPG

gl with the importing and so ..

hope this would help .. and you guys out there that allready knows this , dont be mad .. somebody isnt a geek like you ^^

Cya

Z

zyzomo

Nice tut , good job , and i really like that you posted so many screenshots so you are more exactly .. it helped me a bit .. and i appriciate that ..

gl with it dude .. cu in next life :p

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Gj, it seems descriptive and the pictures tell it all. Gj and +rep! :)

Good things happen when making tutorials, unless they suck. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.