In a third or 1st person game, how do I make indoor areas, with a roof?

B

Bob Frank

In a third or 1st person game, how do I make indoor areas, with a roof? (that doesn't look tacky) Like caves with tunnels, or inside an inn.

Y

YosLin

Well that shounds kinda hard but might be able to import some models or something to look like roofs and put them in the rooms as doodads

not comlpetly sure this will work how you want it

D

Dr4gonL0rd

Im not sure that this could even work cause (atleast in ROC) you cant go under anything, even a bridge.

B

Bob Frank

Hmmm... I was thinking you might be able to change the visual size of arch doodads or something, and put them really close together... If anybody has any ideas, please post them. I'll experiment.

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
No, some doodads are coded so units walks on top of them (see: tree). Try using walkable doodads and adjust the height of them.

Demonfaze

8 yrs. Hell, it's been a long time.
Reaction score
u could manually build the roof out of flattened tables, modified columns, etc...

*ctrl+page up and page down to move them up and down
*make sure to have them not have a pathing map (so you can stack them)
--> you can use pathing blockers later if the map will be playable

B

Bob Frank

Yeah, that combined with changing the pathing so the doodads will fit together works. I've successfully made an indoor cave; looks pretty good, too.

TPOX

Reaction score
Yes, use archs for caves and use tables for roofs.
Heres a pic of sorta what it looked like for me, just a quick make.

Demonfaze

8 yrs. Hell, it's been a long time.
Reaction score
wow that screenshot is awesome lol

the gun , crosshair, everything :p

B

Bob Frank

Lol. FarCry guns. Is that map in 1st person? I'm still trying to make mine 1st person... : (

TPOX

Reaction score
actually its BF2. Ya its fps view and you move around with the keyboard, and it has like aiming views and scope views on the guns.

If your still having trouble with FPV:

Code:
        Camera - Lock camera target for (Picked player) to PlayersShooter[(Player number of (Picked player))], offset by (0.00, 0.00) using The unit's rotation
        Camera - Pan camera for (Picked player) to ((Position of PlayersShooter[(Player number of (Picked player))]) offset by 0.00 towards (Facing of PlayersShooter[(Player number of (Picked player))]) degrees) over 0.25 seconds
        Camera - Set (Picked player)'s camera Rotation to (Facing of PlayersShooter[(Player number of (Picked player))]) over 0.25 seconds
        Camera - Set (Picked player)'s camera Far Z to 1000000000.00 over 0.00 seconds
        Camera - Set (Picked player)'s camera Field of view to 120.00 over 0.00 seconds
        Camera - Set (Picked player)'s camera Height Offset to 100.00 over 0.00 seconds
        Camera - Set (Picked player)'s camera Angle of attack to 360.00 over 0.00 seconds
        Camera - Set (Picked player)'s camera Distance to target to 0.00 over 0.00 seconds

Thats the basic code, you can change it around and change picked player to something else or whatever. And use a .10 or .01 periodic timer. Id suggest .10.

And also, so you wont see your unit flashing on the screen, use:

Code:
        Custom script:    if GetLocalPlayer() == GetOwningPlayer(GetLastCreatedUnit()) then 
        Custom script:    call SetUnitVertexColor(GetLastCreatedUnit(), 255, 255, 255, 0) 
        Custom script:    endif

You can change the last created unit though, but basically I added this right after the unit was created in begginning of the game. So you wont see your unit, but other people will.

I have a whole map with like 5 or more different guns, with filters of the gun and aiming views and scope views of the guns and gun sounds ect. But I just havent felt like working on it the past few weeks dunno why.

B

Bob Frank

Thanks. It works!
Except the transparency bit :( - I'm a complete and utter n00b when it comes to scripting.

I'm also a partial n00b when it comes to triggers. Can you post how you got the keyboard controls working? I can't work out how to rotate the camera and unit according to where it's facing already, using the left and right arrows (or a and d keys).

B

Bob Frank

Sorry about the double post... What you posted before does the camera rotation - But I still can't work out how to rotate the unit itself according to where it was facing when you pressed the keys.

Also, the way I get the unit to move foward is to move to a point on the edge of the map, which works... But the unit automatically attempts to dodge obstacles, and path it's own way there. Does anybody know how to get by this?

rtatpi

Reaction score
Wow that's such a cool first person effect. I'm trying to smooth out my own third person affect.

As for your last question, you could use another form of movement, like keyboard. I found a demo map of movements by keyboard, off this site actually. here is the link:

keyboard movements :)

B

Bob Frank

I'm not looking for that kind of keyboard movement - That moves according to the map, I'm looking for something that moves according to the unit.

A

AK-47Pirates

Edit

I found a great page that tells you how to make roofs using walls and elevators, I'll add the link to the page when I get home. :banghead:

B

Bob Frank

I've tried that... It will stop when it reaches 20, or whatever you set it to. Then you have to press it again to continue.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.