Tutorial iPeez's Terraining F.A.Q

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
F.A.Q
World Editor Basics
by iPeez

Author's Note:
Here we have 23 questions I have came over the past 2 years of my terrain experience. And of course the answers. Those of you who have used the editor for a while wont find this very useful, but who knows..?
Are you a beginner to terraining and want to learn more I'll suggest that you read this.

And if you just bought your copy of Warcraft III some days, years or minuttes ago, take a look at my tutorial first to learn the very basics of terraing.

[Terraining Tutorial - by me (iPeez)]

When you are done with that, you should check out this F.A.Q. (This is because you will understand more by reading the Terraining Tutorial and this after).

As one last thing you should note you these links:
(Note: Not all of these tutorials are about terraing. Most of the indexs are allover covering the World Editor)

[Terraing Advanced - by 2-P]
[Good Tutorials About Everthing In The World Editor - by alot of authors]
[Terraining, Modeling, Coding... etc.. - by Hive Workshop users]
[Different Tutorials - by Us here at Clan Mapz]

Blizzard's own help - In the World Editor; 'Help>Warcraft III World Editor Help'. Opens a file from your wc3 folder into the internet browser.

'^:;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------,._

Q – I have used the ‘Shallow Water’ tool to make a river. Then I filled it again with ‘Raise 1 Tool’. Now I have made a river shape with the ‘Lower Tool’ from the second toolset, but there is no water?
A – Step backward [Ctrl + Z] until you reach the point where you have the ‘Shallow Water’ river. Then uncheck the box called ‘Advanced>Enforce Water Height Limits’- Now you can fill the river and use the second lower tool as you did.

Q – Still do not works…?
A – Step totally backward until before you started the river. Then make sure ‘Advanced>Enforce Water Height Limits’ are checked. Use the ‘Shallow Water’ tool to make a river. Then uncheck the box called ‘Advanced>Enforce Water Height Limits’- Fill it again with ‘Raise 1 Tool’ and use the second lower tool to make a smooth river.

Q – I use the ‘Raise Tool’ from the second toolset and have now made some hills and mountains. They have a very squareish and weird from, can I make them smoother?
A – Yes of course you can! Use the tool called ‘Smooth’ in the second toolset. Pretty simple huh?

Q – Every time I create a new map it has lines all over it, creating some sort of a web. How I remove those?
A – It is called a ‘Grid’ and it is pretty easy to get rid of. Just tap the ‘G’ key at your keyboard. Eventually you can save your map and close the World Editor, start it and open the map again. Grid can be useful, so remember the hotkey [G]!

Q – I have a doodad and I have found a perfect rotation. The problem is that I have to find the same rotation every time. Is there any other way?
A – Yes you can find the right rotation, then press [SPACE] and select it. Press [Ctrl + C] followed by [Ctrl + V]. Now you can place it.

Q – Each time I place a doodad it randomly rotates, I have to create and delete each time until I find the right rotation. Any easier way?
A – Press [Z] and you will see a new rotation each time you press it under your cursor (The faded not placed doodad).

Q – I want to make my own rotations, how?
A – Place a doodad(s)/unit(s), press [SPACE], select the doodad(s)/unit(s), click and hold the [Ctrl] button on your keyboard and then click, hold the left mouse somewhere close to the doodad(s)/unit(s) and move it around. Then the doodad(s)/unit(s) will rotate and face where you point.

Q – I have placed an ‘Orc Watch Tower’, and I found this little torch doodad. How do I place it at the top of the tower?
A – This can be done with every doodad: Select the doodad(s) and press and hold [Ctrl] and use [PgUp] or [PgDn] to move the selected doodad(s) up or down. Repeat the action to move it higher or lower.

Q – How fog works?
A – A fog can be created by going to ‘Scenario>Map Options>Fog’. Check the ‘Use Terrain Fog’ box and make sure the drop-down-menu is sat to Linear. The default settings are ‘Start’ and ‘End’ - 3000 and 5000. These two values are distance from camera view. Using small values will create an intense color effect, while using high will make the fog tin.

Q – I want to create a fog a certain time in the game, how?
A – Go to the ‘Trigger Editor’ [F4] and create a new trigger or add this to your trigger. Create a new action and choose the section called ‘Environment’, then ‘Set Fog’. Rest is up to you!
Environment - Set fog to style Linear, z-start 1000.00, z-end 8000.00, density 0.00 and color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%)”.

Q – How do I use weather effects?
A – You can create them with triggers and regions. Create a new region and then right click it, ‘Edit Region Properties’. Check the ‘Weather Effect’ box and pick one. With triggers, create a new trigger or add this to the trigger you want. New action, ‘Environment’ and ‘Create Weather Effect’.
Environment - Create at (Playable map area) the weather effect Ashenvale Rain (Heavy)

Q – I have made a custom doodad, but it seems that I can only rotate it 90* each time… Why?
A – Go to the custom doodad in ‘Object Editor’. Then the field ‘Art - Fixed Rotation’ and set it to ‘-1.00’.

Q – I cannot write a negative value in the field?
A - Hold down [Shift] and double click the field, to write negative values such as ‘-0.50’.

Q – I am using a tileset but I want to use a tile from another tileset. How can I do that?
A – ‘Advanced>Modify Tileset’. Then check the box called ‘Use Custom Tileset’. Now you can add and remove tiles.

Q – Is there any way I can replace a doodad or terrain tile with another?
A – ‘Advanced>Replace Tile’ and ‘Advanced>Replace Doodad’.

Q – I have created a map, but need more space, and I don’t want to start all over again. Do I have to create a totally new map and copy paste everything?
A – No you don’t have to. Click at ‘Scenario’ and then ‘Map Size and Camera Bounds’. Check the box called ‘Modify Map Bounds’. Now you can click at the ‘<’ or ‘>’ arrows at each side of the map to increase its size.

Q – It tells me ‘The full map size must be a multiply of in both dimensions’. What that means?
A – Whenever you create or edit a map size it must be, 32x32, 64x64, 96x96, 128x128, 160x160, 192x192, 224x224 or 256x256. When you edit the map size its displayed at the bottom right corner of the window, ‘Full:’.

Q – My editor lags when I try to change certain things.
A – Try ‘Window’ and uncheck the box called ‘Brush List’. It causes a lot of lag.

Q – At ‘Map Options’ I have sat the sky display, fog and weather effects. But they don’t show up in game, why?
A – Those are only visible in the editor by pressing [V] (Game View Settings). You have to trigger effects you want in game. All those can be found at the trigger category ‘Environment’.

Q – Where can I get other color codes?
A – Here ‘Link'.

Q – When I try to redo a lot of actions I have done with the terrain it stops after a certain number?
A – If you have saved your map before you did these actions, simply reload them. Else you can’t. To avoid it happen again, you go to ‘File>Preference’ and then set the max redo limit to a number that fits you.

Q – I have two tilesets and I am going to customize one of them with the other one. When I try to add a tile it says it cannot be added, removed or replaced. How can I add it?
A – Those tiles marked with a red square cannot be removed from their tileset or added. Go to the ‘Additional Textures’ drop-down-menu and choose either ‘Cliff Base Tiles’: ‘Group 1’, ‘Group 2’ or ‘Group 3’. Those contain the cliff tiles (marked with red square) and they can be added.

Q – When I place my doodad at a hill or raising in the terrain, it stands there and points up in the air. What must I do so it angle as the terrain are formed?
A – ‘Art - Max Roll Angle and Maximum Pitch Angle’. Change this field to a positive value (+1.00 or something).

-iPeez​

Reaction score
I went through it a bit quick, however I think it is really useful. +rep

> Q – Every time I create a new map it has lines all over it, creating some sort of a web.
That one I was searching for some time...

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
Most of these questions are for beginner, and I have posted them since I have been asked and have asked them before. Thanks for comment/rep!

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can't you just add this to your terraining tutorial?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.