Jass?

M

Mark-James

What Exactly Is Jass? How Is It Used? What Can You Do Wth It?

Luth

Lex Luthor!
Reaction score
Its the scripting language used in WC3.
Via the trigger-editor.
Anything you want, as long as your not picky.

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
Ok, First of all, you need to know what gui is.

Gui: The triggers that you press buttons to make.
(in the trigger editor)

Jass is an expanded version of it, so it can do everything GUI can, and more
Exept you have to type it all.
It's complex to me, but I just started.

Correct me if Im wrong about anything.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Alright, let's make some contrasts to the real world with JASS:

GUI = A credit card with millions of dollars in cash.
JASS = A credit card with all the governments in the world's cash all stashed in one place.

Get it? Not yet? Let's do another:

GUI = Mario without any powerups
JASS = Mario with a feather and a fireflower at hand, riding a flying blue Yoshi with a very sexy Toadstool riding in back (no underwear, mind you).

In all seriousness, check out the JASS forums, they got all the coding you will really ever need. If you need any more questions about JASS or JASS coding, post there.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
hmm no you all seem to be getting it wrong.
jass is not an expansion to the gui, its the other way round.

jass=a movie watched in the cinema
gui=the same movie watched at home on tv, with poor quality
as you can see jass is more expencive (harder to learn) and harder to get to (get used to). but once you come and pay the entrance you'll get a much better movi...hmm map making experience and better quality picture (more functions).

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
You guys are only making comparisons, not telling him what it is. If my answer is wrong, whats the REAL answer?

corvusHaunt

Reaction score
JASS is the scripting language that Blizzard made up for use in WC3. Through the trigger editor, you are allowed to use that language to make scripts. They also included a GUI option to be nice to non-coders. GUI can come with many different programs. It means Graphic User Interface, which means it gives you options and you click the ones you want. JASS you write yourself, giving you access to many more options and functions not available with GUI (could be, but Blizzard didn't waste time sticking every function in there). So, JASS can do everything GUI can do and more, only faster, more efficient and just better.

We :banghead: should :banghead: sticky :banghead: this :banghead:

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Lobster said:
You guys are only making comparisons, not telling him what it is. If my answer is wrong, whats the REAL answer?
it is what you said but...
> Jass is an expanded version of it, so it can do everything GUI can, and more
jass is not an expanded version of the gui. gui is a simple, easy-to-learn version of jass. but whatever you make in gui is actually jass with some makeup.
jass has a lot of great advantages such as locals, functions, easier to use (keyboard > mouse) etc.

S

scyap

corvusHaunt said:
JASS is the scripting language that Blizzard made up for use in WC3. Through the trigger editor, you are allowed to use that language to make scripts. They also included a GUI option to be nice to non-coders. GUI can come with many different programs. It means Graphic User Interface, which means it gives you options and you click the ones you want. JASS you write yourself, giving you access to many more options and functions not available with GUI (could be, but Blizzard didn't waste time sticking every function in there). So, JASS can do everything GUI can do and more, only faster, more efficient and just better.

We :banghead: should :banghead: sticky :banghead: this :banghead:

why u say its only faster, more efficient and just better???
u have to type it right? making u slow down... whats the advantages of jass?

what does it have that gui does not have?

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
once you learn you'll see that typing is much faster than clicking with your mouse.
gui is crap. it adds plenty of unneccessary stuff which you can't remove unless you use jass. also gui creates memory leaks which are impossible to remove without jass and have awful effects on your map.

Luth

Lex Luthor!
Reaction score
Gosh, I'm going to be conservative here, but I'm going to say that at LEAST 50% of the functions/functionality is restricted by using the GUI alone (100% "Custom Script:" lines doesnt count). A few biggies are local variables, multi-use instanciability, writing your own functions, and custom loop control.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
Learn jass, you will notice its power while you are on the way.

BTW, for me typing jass is a lot faster than finding the right things in the GUI drop down lists. And I can say that I was an pretty good GUI user when I left it to code 100% in jass.

S

scyap

so how do i type jass?

i went into triggers, clicked NEW TRIGGER

and its GUI... i cant type in there...
help?

i have nvr used jass

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
scyap said:
so how do i type jass?

i went into triggers, clicked NEW TRIGGER

and its GUI... i cant type in there...
help?

i have nvr used jass
Edit -> Convert to Custom Text

Tonks

Reaction score
Tutorials are generally a good idea, when you wanna learn about something :)
If you get discouraged after reading through it once, I suggest you repeat it and continue doing so until you get the gist of it. It took me quite a long time to figure out JASS, and how it worked. I just couldn't grasp the idea of us writing it all out ourselves, because I was so accustomed to GUI. Good luck with JASS. :D

Pahl

Reaction score
It would probably be a good idea to sticky a thread with title "What is JASS?" or something since this seems to come up alot.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
no point in that...no one really gives a damn about stickies, people would ask anyway.

Tonks

Reaction score
SFlip is right, for example, look at the JASS section. It's there, waiting to be clicked, yet people still post JASS questions and threads in the WE Help Zone.. It's just kinda hopeless for some members.

T

TheTacoBellD

Cops = Challenge
Amount of roads/turns = Opportunities

GUI: Driving on a highway with cruise-control on running from the cops.
JASS: Driving way past the speed limit running from the cops on the streets of venice.

Of course you have a lot more oppotunities to escape in venice than the highway. But it's so hard. On the other hand, you can just go straight down the road on cruise-control. Not much work involved but sometimes the cops catch up to you.

Now, screw the bad analogies.

GUI: Using user-friendly options to access your map's programming.

JASS: Using raw data to access your map's programming.

JASS is much harder but since it is typed raw data you have more options including reducing lag on your map. GUI is basically JASS in button form. But since they couldn't make a button for every single possible thing, they settled for MOST of the options JASS has to offer. But you can still miss out on many JASS related opportunities . . .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.