Life in a Spaceship

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
At the begining, you vote to decide whever you get your own ship and crew, or you all share a ship and have one of the crew as a hero.

Crew
  • Captain. Simply a tough guy, but if you all share a ship he is the one that bosses everyone around.
  • Pilot. Well what do you think his job is?
  • Engineer. There will be a room in each ship with 3 'buildings': Engines, Life Support systems and something else. The max hp of each building will be a third of the ship's. Every health point the ship loses, a 'building' (depending on the game time) in that room will lose health points , (so if the engines are destroyed, the ship can't move and if the life support is destroyed, everyone in the ship dies in 5 minutes). The Engineer's job is to repair these 'buildings'
  • Doctor (Optional Extra). Heals the crew if they get in a nasty fight.
  • Mercenary (Optional Extra). Just there to shoot any annoying person.

There will be jobs, some of them will require a certain skill. For example, a job at the hospital will require a doctor of at least level 3. There is also a battleground where there are 2 sides that are fighting each other (At the begining you pick a side). If you choose to fight in there, for every enemy you kill, you get 50 gold.

List of Jobs
  • Hospital Job
  • Blue Sun (Thats the super-rich food company) Can Machine repairer (requires engineer level 3)
  • Member of Parliment (Need to encourage people to vote for you by saying the right stuff or you are fired.)
  • Policeman
  • Black Market Seller (Encourage villagers to buy your stuff by saying the right stuff)
  • More

There is also an ability on the ships where you can board a player's ship and land on a planet/moon/space station. I've based the ability off of Banish, the only bad thing is that whatever you are trying to board/land on will be see-through, but thats not too bad.

If you want a home, (depending what side you picked) you either go to Londinium or Bellerophon. The homes will range from tiny apartments to huge mansions.

Ideas
  • The Engineer could be able to construct a security system, so that when a ship comes nearby they get a little message, and if an enemy to them boards the ship a message comes in red and a big Alert sound comes.
  • An autopilot function.
  • Players could be able to take over a planet/moon by destroying the planet/moon center. This would be extremely hard to do, but if it was done, it would be extremely rewarding. You would get taxes every minute, however every 3 minutes you would get a rebellion from both land and space (basically you would have some poorly trained rebels on the planet/moon you took over, and you would have some old ships in space surronding the planet/moon you took over).

Problems
Models, actually Model. I was planning on basing the game on a few years before Joss Whedon's TV Series, Firefly was set (so probably around the year 2510). Problem is, I can't find a model that even remotely looks like a Firefly ship (Picture here). If you are a good model maker and you want a lot of credit for your work, make a model of that.

Ideas anyone?

Now version 0.01 has been released, had a bit of trouble uploading it on thehelper.net, so I uploaded it elsewhere. Get it here. Note that it is in .zip format and the map only supports 3 players currently (teal purple and orange).

Current Status:
Triggers 5% done
Terrain 70% done
Units 30% done

Overall 10% done

Design Notes
17th August 2007
Done the 0.01 version of the map. It is NOWHERE near done, but in the meantime enjoy playing it.
16th August 2007
Started and finished the Engine. When its hp is less than 50, the ship will be unable to move. Also made a start on the life support. I'm working on the preview now, I will have to think of something to spice it up a little. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Xapphire

Liberty, Simply said; a lie.
Reaction score
This looks really interesting, I like the idea of there being jobs etc. This I think you should include:
-Rank Save/load and Character, so you possess a high quality rank and a good job, you know, with restrictions.
-Being able to have like a home on earth / etc.
-Jobs that are nooby, like for now the garbage man but then when you have like a certain amout of money go for treasure hunter you know.
-Random Spacealien Attacks
-And a Life, having kids, a little like loap more real life though.

WindexGlow

Reaction score
One of the more orignal ideas I've seen in a long, fucking time on this board.

+rep and I'll see into that ship if possible.

Jackal

Reaction score
This looks really interesting, I like the idea of there being jobs etc. This I think you should include:
-Rank Save/load and Character, so you possess a high quality rank and a good job, you know, with restrictions.
-Being able to have like a home on earth / etc.
-Jobs that are nooby, like for now the garbage man but then when you have like a certain amout of money go for treasure hunter you know.
-Random Spacealien Attacks
-And a Life, having kids, a little like loap more real life though.

On Firefly there are Reavers that do random raids on passing ships, they are ruthless monsters (but still human) take prisoners, rape them (ok I may leave that part out to avoid possibly being banned on epicwar.com) and skin their victims alive. They could be the equivalent of aliens.

I'll add the house thing onto the main post.

Sounds more like a Space Colony then a Space ship
and is this a Loap?

I would rather say no, for the reason that loaps are generally clones of each other with small differences. There are houses, the police's base, the mafia's base etc all in exactly the same place. The terrain of this map is completely different to that of any loap, and also on many loaps you can become president just by walking on a circle. So the member of parliment job will not be as simple as becoming president.

Xapphire

Liberty, Simply said; a lie.
Reaction score
Oh sorry Ive only watched one episode of Firefly ^.^ K well pm me if you need helpo!

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I still think its more of a Space Colony then a Space Ship

Space Colony is a City or etc. In space
Space Ship is a transportation vehicle that can go into space

But yet again it could be a huge space ship

Jackal

Reaction score
I still think its more of a Space Colony then a Space Ship

Space Colony is a City or etc. In space
Space Ship is a transportation vehicle that can go into space

But yet again it could be a huge space ship

Its just a space ship you can see inside, rather than just having a load/unload like a zepplin. Its not a city because
A) No natural resources or grown food (Unless you count some herbs someone may be growing in a plant pot.
B) No jobs
C) There aren't that many people living there.

Jackal

Reaction score
Bump.

Im going to release a preview of the map some time tomorrow. It will be protected to avoid someone stealing my map before its even started, however I will not protect the full release of Life in a Spaceship.

darkholy

Reaction score
I'd like to give some suggestions on gameplay

1. maybe we should be able to save a character and use the experience and level accumulated on the every new game. the saving and loading of character can be like something from The Black Road RPG

2. every map starts will give a random new planet for the crews to explore. each new game gives one long mission or a few short missions. mission can be randomized at a random planet
-ice planet
-ash planet
-lava planet
-green planet
-swamp planet
etc

3. examples of missions (randomized):
- mine 1000 value worth of minerals (zinc, potassium, etc)
- capture an alien creature for sale to the space markets
- eliminate aliens on the planet
- find an alien temple
- find an artifact from an alien civilization
- establish a space warp link between two points
- shoot down alien space craft
etc

4. whenever a mission fails, there should be some penalty on experience/level and money for crews

if the game is fun, there should be many trying to join new games to level up their character

Jackal

Reaction score
I like the idea about the missions. I will put that in.

WindexGlow

Reaction score
2003926844244287618_rs.jpg

I spent about 30 minutes with that (Just trying out some new textures I got recently) If you like it I'll attach the .psd of it.

WindexGlow

Reaction score
Yes, it's the beginning cimatic in his wc3 game, it's only about 30 seconds long. There is currently 4 planned cimatic (god damn, firefox isn't checking my spelling ) that will have better qaulity than that.

Serioulsy though, the orignal picture is
2004128503646319083_rs.jpg

I extracted the ship, and added some backgrounds and blends. No filters used.

WindexGlow

Reaction score
We're going to import several thousand pictures (1 picture for each frame)

Than we're going to have a trigger that goes like tihs
"Display cin_1_Frame_0001" to (all players)"
wait .01 seconds
"destroy last created display"
"display cin_1_frame_0002" to all players"
wait .01 seconds

ect. There's 40 frames a second (we had to loosen up memory size, it still looks amazing though). He's currently working on an engine to do this better and easier to manage.

master maste

Reaction score
Sounds cool if you were all working together as a team and can take over planets and fight aliens etc.

Fight boarding crews.

I think you should loose part of the name as the "life on a" sounds too much like loap and people might not play it if they dont like loap, or they might play if thinking its loap and get annoyed. . . just a suggestion.

But it sounds great. :)

Umm u said you were doing a 30 second clip, thats 1200 pictures.

Jackal

Reaction score
I leave this thread for 16 hours and look what happens. :eek:

Good job on the picture WindexGlow, it looks less like it has been computer generated.
icon14.gif

Ok then, any ideas for a new name?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.