Looking for some Concept Input

Kitt

Reaction score
I've played with the World Editor off and on, and have recently taken up working with it once again. I've always enjoyed RPG's and AoS maps above all others and have recently decided to take up a project that mixes the two genres. I have a general vision of where I would like it to go, but there are a few bumps I need to get ironed out. I figured the best thing to do that would be to get input from various people who actually would be playing the map - I could have all the ideas under the sun, but if no actually enjoys them as much as I do, the map was essentially a waste of time.

The current issue at hand is the leveling system and being able to play random matches against other players. Imagine a typical AoS, but rather than a set group of heroes to choose from, everyone builds their hero from the ground up as you would in an RPG; however, it wouldn't be very fun to make a new character every single time you play a session, so we'll generate codes that they can type in each game to load up their hero. Each session you play is an opportunity to level and train your hero.

The issue lies in character levels. Someone who is level 20 will obviously be much stronger than someone who is level 3. If they weren't, what would be the point in leveling up? Yet, to have a level 20 playing against a level 3 would make the game realatively unfun for both players.

As is, I've come up with two ideas to try and solve the problem, but they both have their issues:

The game could have a single player map and a multi-player map. The single player map would be for leveling and the multiplayer for competing. The issue with this is that it's not only a bit annoying to have two different maps for the same game, it also make the game a lot less of a combination of RPG and AoS.

The other idea I had was to create a myriad of slightly different maps or versions of the same map with slightly stronger creeps and items, and stick a level bracket of about 5 levels on each map. So, to begin with, you would play on the level 1-5 map, then move on to the 6-10 map, etc. The issue with this is that it's even more annoying as we'll have upwards of 10 - 20 different maps for the same game! In addition, you've got to hope someone wants to play on the map that is your level range. Otherwise, no one will join your game.

Any and all ideas are welcome as people come across them. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to give me their two cents!

Meow =3

DrinkSlurm

Eat Bachelor Chow!
Reaction score
I think its best to just have one map to keep it as simple as possible. That way all players, beginners and veterans, can interact in the same game.

If you really want to limit gameplay interact between Lvl5s and Lvl20s, make separate areas of the map. The "bunny slopes" or "kiddie table" is for beginners. Once someone reaches a certain level they go on to the next highest area. Any player can also voluntarily go to a higher-level area if they want (i.e. a Lvl15 can challenge a Lvl25 by walking into the level 25 area), but no one can go to a lower level area (so no picking on those weaker than you).

Random duels typically occur between randomly-chosen opponents from the same difficulty area. You can even have multiple duels, one for each difficulty, going on at the same time.

Optional: if you have a betting system for the non-participants of the duel, you can give a bonus reward for picking all the right winners of multiple duels. (Did I explain that clearly?)

Or, instead of picking duelers from the same difficulty area, just choose any opponents, checking to make sure their heroes are within 5 levels of each other.

If no suitable opponents are available, then have 2v1 duels (e.g. two Lvl5s vs. one Lvl20).

Or maybe provide a handicap system for uneven duels (1v1 duels only). If the level difference is 6 to 10, provide one free Mirror Image to the underdog. If the level difference is 11 to 15, give one free Reincarnation to the underdog.

If an underdog wins a duel, they get a better reward than the higher-lvl would have gotten.

Voluntary duels: Set aside a PvP arena. If two heroes enter, start a duel immediately with no handicaps.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
well, to solve your problem about the levels, you could do the following.

Somehow, amke a trigger that if a hero attacks another hero, and there is a 10 level difference (or whatever) then make the attacking unit, and attacked unit, do no damage, or order them to stop.

I'm not sure how a rpg would fit with an AOS, an AOS is fast paced, no time for breaks (ok maybe 30 seconds when people lag), and rpg it's like...take your time, you still have remake.

L

lordpredator

im think is not the best idea... any solution for the level difference level makes the type of map to be... different... where can you fit balance if you can build your hero and have... no 10 levels of difference... but only 2... and the balance is gone... sorry, but i don´t think is a good idea at all... 2 genres of games/map can like you... but merge them... ?

Kitt

Reaction score
I did throw around the idea of having different level areas of the map, the problem is that it makes the individual maps fairly small, leaving very little room to actually fight each other.

Another idea I had, and I don't know how feasible this would be, is to have heroes be dynamic in their level. So, each game you "relevel" your hero, but your hero can't be releveled past what they were before. The game would remember which skills you chose, and not allow you to level in a skill PAST that skills previous max level. So, for example, say I got 3 levels in Skill A and 4 in Skill B, but I'm playing on 5 level maximum game. I can decide how I want to divy my skill points out at the beggining, but I cannot spend five of them on Skill A because I never HAD more than 3 in skill A; I would have to spend 3 in Skill A and the other two in Skill B.

In this way, I could have the host set the level mode at each game in much the way you would set a normal AoS game mode at the start (something like /lvl5). The game could calculate Creep strengths and other aspects of the game from that point on. The problems I see with that are:

A) Being able to generate a Code with that much info into it (I've never made loading codes before, I don't know how advanced I could make one...)

B) Not enough players playing on Low Level maps for new people to come into the game.

Any comments?
Meow.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
So you are saying that in the begining the host can choose the min and max level requirements of the map?

Sounds like a good idea, although the new starters would starts at lvl 5, and not be able to save to make it mroe fair

(Why? Because then the host could host a game with the min level requirement be the highest level requirement, lets say its 50. Then everyone starts all over, and saves at level 50.)

Kitt

Reaction score
So you are saying that in the begining the host can choose the min and max level requirements of the map?

Sounds like a good idea, although the new starters would starts at lvl 5, and not be able to save to make it mroe fair

(Why? Because then the host could host a game with the min level requirement be the highest level requirement, lets say its 50. Then everyone starts all over, and saves at level 50.)

That is an issue. You wouldn't actually get points to spend just because the max level is set at 50, you would still only be able to go as high as you did in the first place. I don't think I would put a minimum level requirement, because then someone could join a game and not have a character that is that minimum level, making the game unplayable. I could also provide pre-made Heroes for various level difficulties aswell. So, say the only maps up are level 40+ on Bnet, but you don't have a character up to level 40. Instead you could just pick a premade hero from the "level 40" tavern. Premade heroes would be strong enough to compete, but not quite as strong as a level 40 character, so it would still be better to use your own Hero.

In additon, I could allow a player to choose a premade Hero, then "load" their own hero code, so that they can gain levels for their own hero "behind the scenes". I don't know if that would cause balance issues...

Meow.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
First are levels so important ? What they show ? How much time you have spent playing it ? Your skills ? I would skip level part. There is map in TH (AoS) where you gain ability levels and stast by attacking or casting abilities. That would be interesting. Also I would allow people to choose their hero characteristics themselves (Would give str+, agi+, int+)+ most crusial thing what would do game intersting- random factor and a bit randomly also giving str+ agi+ int+. So you want to create Wisard with your perks or whatever gives you stats and random factor makes your wisard more Str than Int- that would be awsome in my opinion. Then you have str Wisard who has HP to wack Crusadeers or something :D There is one thing though- maybe some kids start to quit games when they don' t get their favorite combination. To counter that create dialog and give to buttons one for yes and another for no. Then when player chooses no generate new random str+, agi+, int+ values and display to player until he/ she agrees with choise- that would be awsome. For backstory say it' s hero' s planet signs or something.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.