Tutorial Making mazes - Advanced

AoW_Hun7312

I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Reaction score
I've only seen one mazing tutorial on these forums, so I think I'll go ahead and make one too.

If you have not read Jindo's mazing tutorial, DO NOT read this one.. yet.

Index​
1. The basics, if you decided to read ahead (Ctrl+f code is 001)
2. Triggering (Ctrl+f code is 002)
3. Custom Script (Ctrl+f code is 003)
4. The Path of the Maze (Ctrl+f code is 004)
5. Out of Ideas? (Ctrl+f code is 005)

Credits to this tutorial goes to Jindo, him, and his maze making tutorial helped me learn how to make mazes, and learn GUI (amazingly..)​

1. Get a feel of your maze.
1a Does it have a good idea?
1b Is it original?
1c Does it even make any sense? (I've seen ALOT of mazes like this, most of the mazes with no real story line, was shit. Thought out maze > Rushed Map with absolutely NO meaning, and no story line.
1d Learn GUI. I recommend going to the tutorial index.

2. Have something OTHER then dodging creeps.
2a Something unique? Don't copy something out of another maze. I've seen lots of original ideas. One maze I played had a unique idea of memorization. You have to watch the circle of powers blink, then after its done, repeat the pattern.
2b A unique terrain, style, feel? Does the maze have something with its surrondings that other mazes do not?

Triggering

Triggering is a VERY important part of making a maze, you need triggers to make units patrol, gates open, units die, make units attack, basically the entire maze.

For making it so if a unit goes off the path, you eighter make a region, then put it in use with this trigger.

Code:
Sample Trigger
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters Test Region <gen>
    Conditions
        (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Footman
    Actions
        Unit - Kill (Triggering unit)

Just replace the Footman class with your unit type mazer.

OR you could go with this trigger, it checks the terrain under the unit every 0.03 seconds.

Code:
Kill
    Events
        Time - Every 0.03 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in Test_Group and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Set Temp_Point1 = (Position of (Picked unit))
                If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                    If - Conditions
                        (Terrain type at Test_Point) Equal to Sunken Ruins - Sand
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit - Kill (Picked unit)
                        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_Test_Point)
                    Else - Actions
Test_Point is a Point variable
Test_Group is a Unit-Group variable.
Replace Sunken Ruins - Sand with your type of terrain that you do not want a mazer to enter.

The draw backs of each trigger; The region trigger requires MANY regions, usauly taking much time. The terrain checking trigger does not take alot of time, but if you cut a corner, or touch the border of any terrain, your dead.

Attack Ground Trigger.

Code:
Attack Ground
    Events
        Time - Every 2.00 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set Test_Point = (Center of attack ground 1 <gen>)
        Unit - Order Rabbit Barfing Turtle 0013 <gen> to Attack Ground Test_Point
Test_Point is again, a point variable, and 2.00 can be replaced. But you must edit the unit attack speed.

This, the trigger I am about to present, is the trigger EVERYONE wants in their mazes (I dont know why, I like it too tho :))

Code:
Sliding
    Events
        Time - Every 0.03 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in Test_Group and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Set Test_Point = (Position of (Picked unit))
                    If - Conditions
                        (Terrain type at Test_Point) Equal to Sunken Ruins - Large Bricks
                    Then - Actions
                        Set Test_Point2 = (Test_Point offset by 13.00 towards (Facing of (Picked unit)) degrees)
                        Unit - Move (Picked unit) instantly to Test_Point2
                        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_Test_Point2)
                    Else - Actions
                        Do nothing

Test Point's are point variables.

Test_Group is a unit type variable set in Map Initialization.

off set by 13.00 is just the speed. You can edit it to how high, and how low you want.

And of course there's the turning trigger.

Code:
Turning
    Events
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Is issued an order targeting a point
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 2 (Blue) Is issued an order targeting a point
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 3 (Teal) Is issued an order targeting a point
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 4 (Purple) Is issued an order targeting a point
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 5 (Yellow) Is issued an order targeting a point
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 6 (Orange) Is issued an order targeting a point
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 7 (Green) Is issued an order targeting a point
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 8 (Pink) Is issued an order targeting a point
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 9 (Gray) Is issued an order targeting a point
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 10 (Light Blue) Is issued an order targeting a point
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 11 (Dark Green) Is issued an order targeting a point
    Conditions
        ((Triggering unit) has an item of type Socks) Equal to True
    Actions
        Set Test_Point = (Target point of issued order)
        Unit - Make (Triggering unit) face Test_Point over 0.00 seconds

Test_Point is a point variable.
You can delete the unneeded players.

For unit patrols use this,

Code:
Patrol
    Events
        Map initialization
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set Temp_Point1 = (Center of Patrol 3 <gen>)
        Unit - Order YourUnit <gen> to Patrol To Temp_Point1
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_Temp_Point1)

Replace YourUnit with any unit you want to patrol. To have multiple units keep on patrolling paste Set Test_Point and Custom script on the same spots as last patrol.
Set
Unit
Custom

For patroling a unit to more then one spot, you would use this:
Code:
Patrol Multiple
    Events
        Map initialization
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set Test_Point = (Center of (YouRegion))
        Unit - Order (YourUnit) to Move To Test_Point

Code:
Patrol Multiple 2
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters Destination Of Issued Move <gen>
    Conditions
        (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Unit Entering
    Actions
        Set Test_Point = (Center of (Next Move))
        Unit - Order (Your Unit) to Move To (Center of (Test_Point))

Code:
Patrol Go Back To Beginning
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters Destination Of Issued Move <gen>
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set Test_Point = (Center of (Beginning Region))

Code:
Repeat
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters Beginning <gen>
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set Test_Point = (Center of (Next Move))

For that trigger you would need 3 regions, and one unit patrolling in them (3 would work)

If the unit entered one region, it would move to the next one, and enter the other one, moving to the next one etc.

To make a gate open, with an item, no matter where it is in the inventory, and how many you have, you would use this.

Code:
Open Gate1
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters Gate1 <gen>
    Conditions
    Actions
        For each (Integer A) from 1 to 6, do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                    If - Conditions
                        (Item-type of (Item carried by (Triggering unit) in slot (Integer A))) Equal to Sacred Relic
                        (Massive Ruined Gate (Vertical) 0000 <gen> is alive) Equal to True
                    Then - Actions
                        Item - Remove (Item carried by (Triggering unit) in slot (Integer A))
                        Destructible - Open Massive Ruined Gate (Vertical) 0000 <gen>
                        Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
                    Else - Actions
                        Do nothing

This would check the units inventory from 1-6 checking for the item of type (replaceable) and makes sure the gate is not open, so it does not remove all the items.

For killing a unit with collision you would give the unit you use permenant immolation, then remove the buff images. Then set the damage to 999999 or something. Then change the AoE to the size of the unit (estimate) then test repeatedly till when you die, you actually touch the unit.

Custom Script
Since I know that people will ask this, here's my breif description of the use of 'custom script'

Leak: Noun.

A leak is anything in WE that is not removed after use, if it has no other use.

Things that have generally no use, after it is used are; points, unit-groups, and special effects. These are removed in GUI within 'Custom Scripts' , or for special effects blizzard's already made GUI action.

For unit groups you would use Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_Unit_Group)
replacing Unit_Group with the name of your unit group variable.

For points you would use Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Temp_Point) replacing Temp_Point with the name of your point variable.

For special effects you would use the action Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)

If you do not clear up the leaks, it leads to lag, server splits, and on other cases FATAL errors

There are also leaks, that I do not want to list.

The Path
The path for a maze is VERY important, with out an intresting, or a bit windy path, a maze is a bunch of good ideas, gone to waste, and is un-usable.

An example of a good maze path would be

tutorialscreenie1pn4.th.jpg

If you choose a diagnal path, like grass, It would be wise to make the diagnol, a 2 squared path. As the terrain checking trigger would most likely kill any mazer that crosses it.

So, Your Out of Ideas?
What I do when I'm out of ideas is do what jindo told me to do (in his tutorial)
Breath in, Breath out. Now think of something. Anything. Slimy, squishy, crunchy, grass, path, steam rolling a tank over a chicken.
Now, this should give you a good idea. Maybe some thing that spawns rows of tanks that goes down a path, and you have to dodge them?

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Inconsistancies:

Code:
Set Temp_Point1 = (Position of (Picked unit))
Code:

The variables aren't the same.

Same here:

Code:
Set Test_Point = (Center of attack ground 1 <gen>)
Code:
Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_Temp_Point1)

AoW_Hun7312

Reaction score
I fixed that, I'm working it out, I'm copying and pasting the stuff from my new maze thats coming Sea Of Hope 2.

AoW_Hun7312

Reaction score
24 - Hour Bump, You may now post comments. The tutorial is basically done, I'm taking requests for any additions. Also willing to help others with any questions, as long as you tried first.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Hasn't been 24 hrs....

> The draw backs of each trigger; The region trigger requires MANY regions

Regions? I don't see any regions with that trigger. You're merely checking the terrain type.

Code:
Else - Actions
   Do nothing

You don't need the Do nothing action. What would it do if you didn't put it there? Nothing. :p

Code:
Turning
    Events
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 10 (Light Blue) Is issued an order targeting a point
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 11 (Dark Green) Is issued an order targeting a point

Why not just use a generic unit event? You could simply check which player if it's even necessary. Also, won't this trigger go off even if the unit is not sliding?

AoW_Hun7312

Reaction score
No it wouldn't, I have a condition there, if you check again, would go off if they have item of type ___

AoW_Hun7312

Reaction score
The region trigger requires MANY regions, I'm referring to the Unit enters region trigger.

EDIT: DOUBLE POST SORRY :(

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
Code:
Turning
    Events

Er... why not just add something in the setup to add all the events to this trigger. Triggers that target lots of players, etc, that can be looped, should not be like this. There should be 0 events in triggers like this. It should all be done using the Trigger - Add New Event function

-.-

This can be done in GUI, so there are no excuses : P
It also saves a load of lines = )

Now, for your unit groups, I REALLY don't suggest using unit groups. Set a unit variable to each unit that's created for each player, like Player 1s mazer would be PlayerUnit[1], etc. From there, just go thru a regular loop -.-

loop
udg_PlayerUnit[x]
set x = x + 1
exitwhen x > 11
endloop

Or, in GUI

for each integer A from 1-11

That'll save you code from cleaning up your memory leaks

Another thing, don't use locations for the terrain type checking... Yea, using x,y coords can only be used in JASS (in GUI, it converts the x,y coords to locations), but it saves so much because you don't have to remove memory leaks. You don't have to set any variables at the start, it's just one line...

Oh well, those are my suggestions ^_^

Oh wait!! Another thing!! You should base the slider speed on the ice off of the unit movement speed ^_-

And if you really want to get cool and make a real sliding trigger, meaning it'll be like real world ice, you should have a unit's weight to see how far they continue to slide, how long it takes them to pick up speed, etc ^_^

It could be really neato if you have to do something in a certain amount of time :eek:

You can also define the slow down speed ^_^, once again based off of momentum. You could even define different frictions with ice so you can have higher accels on some ice and slower on other, etc ^_^

Another thing you should include is flying platforms : )

You should also talk about how it's terrible to place units on a map. Each unit should be created and stored. This works very very well with flying platforms, for example, going over dangerous terrain on a cooleo platform ^_^

There is so much you can do, oi oi

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.