Making x.m3 import/export feature list

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I am un/officially taking over NiNtoxicated's import and export scripts for 3DS Max, as he has decided to no longer continue with it's development as far as I know, and I am trying to prioritize the development of new features.

I currently am working on stabilizing the exporter, working on fixing glitches dealing with meshes primarily (bone weight issues, flying vertices, etc), and fixing any glitches with the currently supported material types (Diffuse, Normal, Specular, and Emmisive). There are a couple of animation issues that I also want to take care of before starting work on new features.
The second priority is adding support for cameras (for portraits) and then I will be working on supporting lights.

At some point I will also begin working on rewriting the program to be standalone by writing exporters for the more common modelling applications (Blender, Max, Maya, and Softimage) that will create an easily human readable format, as some people have requested something similar to the workflow we remember from Warcraft, which will then be converted to an .m3 file. I also intend on making this standalone program offer support to fuck up otherwise perfectly fine normal maps so that they can be used in SCII (because Blizzard is special and can't make it so that the community can mod anything without years of concentrated effort to reverse engineer the ridiculous shit they develop), likely basing them off the actions that Otixa developed for Photoshop.

I wish to expand on this list. So please leave comments on what you would like to see supported, things that you need it to do that I haven't thought of, glitches that you've encountered (if possible please post a screenshot or description of what's happening as best you can), or anything else related.

FlamePhoenix

Reaction score
Hello, I don't know if this project is still active, but I want to help. Recently I decided that I wanted to port the .m3 file into Blender. However, I just can't understand the file format on my own, and no one is able to help me.
I can program in most imperative languages (java, javascript, C ,C++, C#, php) some functional languages (pyhton a little bit and ocaml) logical (smodels) and I have my way around XML, XMlSchema and OracleSQL (I can learn any other variant if needed).

My problem here is the .m3 format, I have no idea where to start, I have never done anything similar. If you think I can help, please reply asap.

As a suggestion, I suggest that instead of making an exporter for each and every tool, that you make an exporter for a standard: the X3D model and scene standard. Because it is a standard, the programs you mention (such as blender) will be able to import and export into the format without any problem, and you will make everyone happy.
In sc2mapster some people also refer the COLLADA format, but I am not so sure about that one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.