World Man nearly dies after chugging vodka at airport security check

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
BERLIN (AP) - A man nearly died from alcohol poisoning after quaffing a liter (two pints) of vodka at an airport security check instead of handing it over to comply with new carry-on rules, police said Wednesday.

The incident occurred at the Nuremberg airport on Tuesday, where the 64-year-old man was switching planes on his way home to Dresden from a holiday in Egypt.

New airport rules prohibit passengers from carrying larger quantities of liquid onto planes, and he was told at a security check he would have to either throw out the bottle of vodka or pay a fee to have his carry-on bag checked as cargo.

Instead, he chugged the bottle down—and was quickly unable to stand or otherwise function, police said.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
You don't chug vodka, that is some intense concentrated stuff...

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
I hope someone submits this to the Darwin Awards...

(I realize he didn't fie, but that's what Honorable Mentions are for.)

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
I am bi-polar, and for those of you who are not, lucky you, you probably cannot truly understand what it means. That being said I have done some pretty crazy things while on my manic highs - one of which was chugging straight a newly opened bottle of Vodka (1 liter). I also had six bears and 5 Mikes Hard lemonades just prior to chugging the Vodka - top to bottom, bottom to top, gulp. :nuts:

I did this as a stunt at a party. And, yes I almost died from alcohol poisoning...And, I almost died from the crazy antics I did thereafter in my drunken stupor. I proceeded to run through the hotel like a rabid squirrel, collecting and harvesting away as many of the precious fire extinguishers I could find. I must have gathered around 8 of them and pilled them all in the room on a bed, where I curled up and protected them like Golem and The One Ring (from LOTRs) - or so I've been told, I don't remember a thing. I was also witnessed jumping off balconies, out windows, into the pool, and there is a tape of me violently hitting my head against a wall and threating to fight someone trying to calm me down. :banghead:

I just remember waking up the next day, naked, covered in vomit, which also covered the entire room, and I was completely bruised from head to toe. Apparently I had started a fight with my roommate, who was an Olympic athlete as well as an available minister during the Olympics to athletes in need of such. I don't know what you call that job title: minster, lol. Anyways, Mike is usually a very gentle and kind 6'5'', 250 lb. giant, but I guess that stabbing someone with a pen in the back of the neck could provoke one to anger. Again I don't remember anything, but I believe what Mike told me, that he had to lay me out, he even showed me the pen and his back - ouch. Sorry Mike; who by the way saved my life that night, by not allowing me to choke on my own vomit. The other guys left me for dead. I was duly nicknamed "the sprinkler" after that, and had to pay a huge fee to have the room cleaned.

For three days I thought I was going to die, but I knew that I was alive despite what my brain was telling me because I don't think that you can feel that much pain when you are dead. I still had to go to work, which at the time involved climbing to the top of a 45ft. mast to dock and release a ginormous Airship, in sever weather conditions mind you. That was an out of body experience in and of itself.

With all this exposed, please don't nominate me to the Darwin Awards as I am Manic Depressive and that does, believe it or not, explain such behavior. I don't know why I just volunteered all this information, except that I think it could prove useful to any of you considering such challenges or the responsibility that goes along with drinking. I truly did almost lose my life that night, and on more than one occasion. So what I have learned from all this: is that just maybe a drink or two is fine, but a whole bottle just might be pushing it a tad. Also I can no longer tolerate Vodka even a little bit; it is my demon. I bet you that man at the airport will have developed the same association with it.

P.S. I know there is already a mental disorder thread started, but anyone here reading this also have Bi-polar disorder?

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
I'm not, but know a friend who is... shes in 8th grade now. In seventh grade, I remember that it was true because she became truly sad when she got a B, A FREAKING B, on a test. We couldn't cheer her up apparently o_O

Anyways, that probbally wasn't the smartest move to save the vodka... he should have just spilt it or something.

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
I'm not, but know a friend who is... shes in 8th grade now. In seventh grade, I remember that it was true because she became truly sad when she got a B, A FREAKING B, on a test. We couldn't cheer her up apparently o_O

Anyways, that probbally wasn't the smartest move to save the vodka... he should have just spilt it or something.

Wow, that is a fairly early onset for Manic Depression. I hope that all her friends and family know so that they can be there to help support her.

Agreed, that was not a cool move with the Vodka, but hey that stuffs not cheap, lol.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I'm not bi-polor, but I'm autistic, does that count? Haha.

I've drank a large amount of Vodka, but not nearly as much as this guy. xD

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
I'm not bi-polor, but I'm autistic, does that count? Haha.

I've drank a large amount of Vodka, but not nearly as much as this guy. xD

I downed 10 drinks, and then a liter of Vodka...the stupid bragging rights go to me, lol. :eek:

Autism is a totally different thing. To what degree is your autism, if you don't mind me asking? I am actually quite fascinated with autism. I have a certain degree of emotional autism though I am sure it is not called that. I am extremely sensitive to emotional climate. I can feel what others are feeling and sometimes before they even sort it out in their mind because their lower road thinking is faster than their ability to rationalize feelings into cognitive thoughts and words on the higher road. Nothing different about me is really all that obvious, though in large groups it can be overwhelming, and I am always the shoulder to cry on. DDRtists are you open to names, numbers, forecast, or is it only slightly? I only feel free asking because you originally mentioned it and my asking is truly from a curious nature.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.