Mana flare for the Faerie dragon, converted into a elven spell

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
So. lets say yur a anti-mage. And your hero has an ability where he channels negative mana to all units around him. Is there a way to make it so that when any enemy unit comes within range of the spell it mana burns them. I think the faerie dragon does this but the unit has to cast a spell. Generally the idea for the trigger might be..

Trigger:
  • Events
    • -Unit comes within range
    • Conditions
    • -Some condition that involves the unit having mana
    • Actions
    • -Cast mana burn on unit

(Sorry i dont know how to do GUI triggers in this X_X)

Since the computer im on right now doesnt have wc3 edit i cant check. But im thinking thats the general idea. If it goes like that do i have to create a dummy unit so that the mana burn spell doesnt show up?

jwallstone

Reaction score
Are you trying to get the hero to channel this spell? If so, why don't you just actually give him the Mana Flare ability?

And are you specifically trying to accomplish mana burn or mana flare? They have different effects. One burns mana and does damage to a target, the other does damage when a unit casts a spell in the vicinity.

SkateuUp

Reaction score
You have it right in the first post, but yes you will need to use a dummy unit so that way you don't see the spell or interrupt the channel. Also you should just use channel that way there won't be any effects happening that you don't want. Also don't forget to check whether the hero is channeling with this(in theory this should work idk i've never tried it)
Trigger:
  • (Current order of No unit) Equal to (==) Special - Channel

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
To jwall:
I kind of want it to be the mana flare for the faerie dragon but it hits every unit with mana whether it casts a spell or not. And it deals mana burn damage, 50 mana 50 hp. 100 mana 100 hp. etc.

jwallstone

Reaction score
Ok, here's my suggestion then: Create a trigger with the event "A unit comes within x range of <specific unit>", where <specific unit> is your hero. The event can be inserted in here at runtime with the specific hero once the player picks this anti-mage hero.

For the action of the trigger, check if the maximum mana of the unit is greater than 0, and then add the entering unit into a unit group global variable (let's call it ManaBurnGroup for now). I'm assuming you want this mana burn to happen periodically every x seconds? Or only when it first enters?

Assuming the first case, then have a repeating timer with a duration of T seconds, where T is the desired period of the mana burn. The action of the timer is to order a dummy unit to cast Mana Burn on every unit in ManaBurnGroup. You can do this by creating a dummy unit for every single unit in the group and ordering it to Mana burn the unit. But my preferred way is to use a single dummy unit (with Cast Backswing and Cast Point set to 0, and the Cooldown of the Mana Burn spell set to 0), and simply order it to cast Mana Burn on every unit in the group (give the ability a large enough cast range or move the dummy to each unit). Using a single dummy instead of creating a new one for each target unit saves execution time.

If you wanted it to go off only when the unit enters within range, then just put the mana burn stuff into the first trigger I described.

I hope that helps, I can go into more detail into any of this if you'd like.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
How is is suppose to have mana cost then. Its a channel spell, it will fire off once, and take the mana cost once.

jwallstone

Reaction score
You want to charge the hero mana for every mana burn? Then just check if the hero has enough mana before the dummy casts Mana Burn, and if not, don't cast it. If it does, then deduct the right amount of mana with triggers. I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to do here.

In general though, if you want help with creating a specific spell, you have to describe it in a detailed manner. You can't expect people to read your mind and give you exactly what you want when the descriptions are so vague.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.