Mana Regeneration Question

MorbazanRhot

Reaction score
Alright, so I have a quick and hopefully simple question: The situation is that I want some heroes to regen mana normally (over time) while others don't. To set the basis for this I set mana regen per intelligence to 0 in gameplay constants, and have no problem with the other heroes, however... How can I make some heroes still regenerate mana normally? I've tried giving them large base mana regen rates, but they still don't regen at all. A possible solution would be making intelligence still affect mana regeneration, and just have heroes that I don't want to regen mana not gain intelligence, but I'd prefer to not have to take that route, because it would screw up A LOT of other stuff. So my long-winded question again is - how do I make some heroes regen mana passively while others don't and intelligence does not give any mana regen? Thanks a lot for any effort on this one. :)

Baby-Bever

Cool Member
Reaction score
Maybe you could just add an brilliance aura or something only affecting the hero who should have mana reg... This won't work if you want the mana regernation to scale with level tho, and it would be kinda disturbin to do, but atleast it won't intaract with other stuff (you would also have to avoid to use brilliance aura if you chose to use this way), and i'm not sure either if it will work, but I think it will...

This is the only way I see this would be possible, add an spell or something which will reg mana to the hero.

Hope this'll work!

MorbazanRhot

Reaction score
My question about this would be: isn't giving a hero the brilliance aura effect the same thing as increasing his mana regen %, which would have the same effect as say... just setting his base mana regeneration to 500%?

Baby-Bever

Cool Member
Reaction score
ugh... Brilliance aura give % bonus...? oh well... Just gotta look throuh all the item effect, I'll edit this post if I find something...

Edit:
I tested setting the mana reg/int point to 0 and the heros base mana reg to 0 and then added brilliance aura (slightly edited version). It works perfect, it doesn't give units % bonus.

Pyrogasm

There are some who would use any excuse to ban me.
Reaction score
Alternatively, you could use the Fountain of Mana's mana regen ability inside a disabled spellbook. Here's what you'd do:

Create a spell based off of the Fountain of Mana's mana regen aura and modify that to how you need it to be. Tooltips and everything else doesn't matter, just set the amount gained and the targets correctly. If you make it multiple levels, you can change that in-game to affect the mana regen rate.

Next, create a custom ability based off of the "spellbook" ability (you can search for spells in the editor with Ctrl+S). Set the "Stats - Minimum Abilities" and "Stats - Maximum Abilities" fields to 1 and change the "Stats - Spells" field to contain only your new life regen ability.

Then, add this spellbook ability to each hero on your map (as a unit ability) in the Object Editor.

Last, you'll need to set up this simple trigger:
Code:
Events
    Map Initialization
Conditions
Actions
    Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Player - Disable YOUR SPELLBOOK ABILITY for (Picked Player))
This disables your spellbook from being shown in-game, though the mana regen still happens. If, for any reason, you need to alter the level of mana-regen for a unit, you can simply change the level of the Mana Regen ability to the correct level for the situation you need.

MorbazanRhot

Reaction score
Alright, well those work then, but given that the heroes have 100 levels, what would you suggest to be the most practical? I'm not sure if I can even set an ability to have 100 levels (really only need 95) because I've never tried, but if I can it wouldn't be impossible to fill out using auto-fill. The problem would be leveling, but I believe I could just make a trigger doing something like whenever the unit levels set the ability to 1+(its current level) and as long as they are never capable of skipping levels in the map it would be fine. If any1 would care to point me in the right direction with a sample trigger that would be awesome. My other question is: do either/both of these stack with item mana regen (ie the sobi mask ability) and if so, would multiple item mana regens stack, or just the highest one count? Thanks a lot for all the feedback so far. :)

CrazyWolf

Reaction score
I would suggest this:

Code:
Event
Every 1 second of game-time
Conditions
Actions
Pick every unit matching(matching unit has 101 point value)
Actions
Set picked unit's mana to [mana of unit + (intelligence of picked unit x 0.3)

This trigger will work if you go to the object editor and change the heroes point value(those that you want to regenerate mana) to 101.
Just be careful so that the heroes you dont want to regenerate mana normally must have point value other than 101.
You must also go to the game constants and change the field that gives mana regeneration for every intelligence point to 0.

MorbazanRhot

Reaction score
Alright, I like that idea a lot, I just have a few questions: 1) Why did you pick 30% of the intelligence, any specific reason or just figured that was a decent value? 2) Having that trigger run every second for multiple heroes wont cause lag? 3) With the heroes still having no base non-triggered mana regeneration, will item mana regen work (like sobi mask) to augment their regen?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
30% is just an example number, it can be changed to anything

it dosent leak so it shouldent lag much, especially considering that there usually arent hundreds of heros in a map

sobi masks increase mana regeneration by 50%, 150% of 0 is still 0. brilliance aura will however if it's not set to %, it has a option of being a constant or a %.

MorbazanRhot

Reaction score
So then the only way to have items at all capable of increasing mana regeneration would be to either trigger each individual one or use the trigger for base mana regen and then have the brilliance aura effect but only be able to carry one item with that effect at a time and just have higher level items have stronger effects?

Edit: And yes, I know with the base trigger that items that give intelligence will give more mana regen, but I'm talking about having an item effect that is strictly mana regen without the intelligence.

CrazyWolf

Reaction score
So then the only way to have items at all capable of increasing mana regeneration would be to either trigger each individual one or use the trigger for base mana regen and then have the brilliance aura effect but only be able to carry one item with that effect at a time and just have higher level items have stronger effects?

Your first part of the sentence is true but i didnt quite catch the meaning of the second part...

Anyway,if you use my way,items like sobi mask won't increase mana regen.You have to make all item mana regen bonuses triggered.

MorbazanRhot

Reaction score
Alright, that works, thank you very much. I gave everyone who replied +rep, so thanks to all you guys for your help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.