many little maps in my map - victory/defeat issues, vamp aura not working.

sentrywiz

Reaction score
sorry,
Ok players start with 1 unit which can create 2 types of buildings, a spawner or a buff tower (building the structure consumes the unit).
Every 30secs each region (which can only support 4 buildings) spawns X units in the centre of the region (where X = number of spawn buildings).
The buff tower has a random aura on it (generated by trigger) and is also applied to a "trigger tower" hidden and unselectable in the centre of the map.

So for example the units spawning have no auras. You build a buff tower which has vamp aura (7.3% chance of this aura) (this also gives the trigger tower vamp aura). Auras are set to max range (so the centre towers can reach the whole map). Now you create a 2nd buff tower and it gives you the vamp aura as well (luck of the draw) this newly created tower also has lvl1 vamp aura but the trigger tower lvls up to lvl2 vamp aura (giving the illusion that the buff towers are stacking). I also have triggers for when these towers are destroyed reducing the lvl of the buff on the "trigger tower"

So the aura needs to be applied (if buff towers have it) when units are created and at the lvl of the "trigger tower" and also when a the lvl of the ability on the "trigger tower" changes

Hopefully this gives you more of an idea now, which i should have explained at the start and made it much easier for you. I didn't intend on this being so hard and lengthy tho.

Well my above post where I explain what/how/why should be good to sort through the messy triggers of creating and giving lifesteal aura to units. I get more about your map now that you wrote how is what, but you will have to answer this question yourself, hence once again I didn't find an answer to:

If the building levels up the Vampiric Aura automatically, when will the level up happen? Under what event and what are necessary conditions? Each 50 kills? When you get 1000 gold? When you upgrade something? When?

When you answer this question, then you can use the trigger I posted above with a new trigger that will give new units Lifesteal for the level Vampiric Aura is. However, for the last time under which event?

1). you cannot level up most item abilitys. i dont know for sure whether this rule applies to life steal as well but i guess.

That is why I said somewhere above to change the ability Item Lifesteal to be Hero and have as many levels as the Vampiric Aura that should be leveled by the building.

Summary (to complete this thread):

- Change the ability Item Lifesteal to be from Item to Hero and give levels to it so it would equal the Vampiric Aura ability
- Write under which event will the tower level Vampiric Aura on its own, and maybe do the trigger

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
you cannot just change it into a hero ability. it wont work, you cannot bypass this. like damage bonus, armor bonus, hitpoint bonus.
as i said, i am not 100% sure whether this rule applies for life steal as well but if you cannot level the ability up any how.

gaskell

Reaction score
long day at work today but back onto the map making again.
ok soooo
the aura lvls up when the player creates a buff tower with the same ability
So first buff tower built with vampiric aura gives all of that players units lvl1 vampiric aura (given from the hidden trigger tower).
A second buff tower with the same buff (vampiric aura) lvls up the trigger towers vampiric aura to lvl2. A third lvls to lvl3 etc etc
Trigger:
  • buff tower
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes construction
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Buff Tower
    • Actions
      • Set random = (Random integer number between 4 and 4)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
            • Conditions
              • random Equal to 1
              • random Equal to 9
              • random Equal to 16
        • Then - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Level of Devotion Aura for (Random unit from (Units owned by (Owner of (Triggering unit)) of type Buff Tower trigger))) Less than 1
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Add Devotion Aura to (Triggering unit)
              • Unit - Add Devotion Aura to (Random unit from (Units owned by (Owner of (Triggering unit)) of type Buff Tower trigger))
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Level of Devotion Aura for (Random unit from (Units owned by (Owner of (Triggering unit)) of type Buff Tower trigger))) Less than 10
                • Then - Actions
                  • Unit - Increase level of Devotion Aura for (Random unit from (Units owned by (Owner of (Triggering unit)) of type Buff Tower trigger))
                  • Unit - Add Devotion Aura to (Triggering unit)
                • Else - Actions
                  • Trigger - Run (This trigger) (ignoring conditions)
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
                • Conditions
                  • random Equal to 2
                  • random Equal to 10
                  • random Equal to 17
            • Then - Actions

etc etc etc etc for each ability
That is the trigger that gives and lvls the auras. (NOTE: I changed the random so it also rolls 4 which is the number for vampiric aura - for testing)
The only thing that changes as the trigger progresses is the integer condition and the ability. This trigger works fine except for the vamp aura ranged which I'm guessing is maybe having issues due to the trigger I added (below).

Also I made 10 abilities (life steal 1, life steal 2, etc etc) each one is equivilent to a lvl of vampiric aura so life steal 1 gives 15% and life steal 2 gives 30% etc... so that way if the ability cant be lvled up it wont matter
the ability being added when units are created wont help the units already in play and also if the buff towers are destroyed it wont change the lvl of the ability either.

I added this trigger
Trigger:
  • Vamp aura trigger P1
    • Events
      • Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
      • (Buff Tower trigger 0008 <gen> has buff Vampiric Aura) Equal to True
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Vampiric Aura Ranged for Buff Tower trigger 0008 <gen>) Equal to 1
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units owned by Player 1 (Red) of type Hydralisk Warrior) and do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Unit - Add Life steal 1 to (Picked unit)
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Level of Vampiric Aura Ranged for Buff Tower trigger 0008 <gen>) Equal to 2
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units owned by Player 1 (Red) of type Hydralisk Warrior) and do (Actions)
                • Loop - Actions
                  • Unit - Add Life steal 2 to (Picked unit)
            • Else - Actions

etc etc etc for each lvl.
I made one of these for each player in the game
buff tower trigger 0008 is the trigger tower for player 1 that has all the auras and the auras lvl up on that.
This 2nd trigger is the problem I think.
I have uploaded my map. I dont expect you to fix it and reup it (unless you want to) but this way you can see the map and triggers first hand and see how it works and the whole design which will give you a much better idea than another page of text. I really want to make this as easy as possible for you guys as you have already put a lot of time and effort into helping me with this.

sentrywiz

Reaction score
you cannot just change it into a hero ability. it wont work, you cannot bypass this. like damage bonus, armor bonus, hitpoint bonus.
as i said, i am not 100% sure whether this rule applies for life steal as well but if you cannot level the ability up any how.

Ok, it doesn't need to be Hero and leveled up, my bad.

Will check the map in free time.

gaskell

Reaction score
I have made a lot of changes to my map triggers including fixing the mammoth amount of mem leaks. When you do have time to have a look just reply and I'll up my latest version as I'm constantly tweaking things to try and fix other issues.
I usually refresh the forum page every 10mins or so for as long as I'm online.

I'm not going to just sit an wait for someone to do it for me cause whether it gets done for me or not I still want to learn what to do and how to fix problems. I still would apprieciate you having a look and giving me your opinion or teaching me what needs done.

gaskell

Reaction score
ok at this stage the life steal doesn't seem to work and I need a victory trigger and I'm not sure what else but a bit on advice or constructive criticism would be nice.
I'm thinking of scrapping the vamp aura if I cant get it sorted but I have thought about whether I want all units to gain the auras or if I want to reduce the range (from max) and give it to units created on islands with certain auras (so units created on an island with devotion aura have that ability whereas units created on an island with trueshot aura will have that ability). That way to have multiple auras on a unit comes down to mixing the units from different islands. (may seem like a lot more management tho, and not all players like that).
At the moment tho it seems a nice balance where if you want the auras lvled you need to keep building towers to get the abilities.
Max number of buildings on the map are 100, you need to build spawn towers as well, each tower makes a random ability from 8 and each ability has 10 lvls soooo to max them all out you would need to build 80 towers. the game would already be over by then.

Also I noticed that the file I uploaded earlier was a much older version.

Attachments

• Island Zerg Wars.w3x
    77.4 KB · Views: 157
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.