Map Making Idea

ZeratuelX

Reaction score
As everyone knows, the 4MB map limit is a problem for some of the more advanced map makers. I began trying to find a way around this problem and came up with a pretty good idea, but I would like to know if this is possible. Because Warcraft 3 Maps use war3.mpq and war3x.mpq to get their models, images, textures and game settings; we should theoretically be able create an "installer" that would add custom models and game settings to these files allowing map makers to add virtually an unlimited number of high-quality models. This would also allow for bigger and more complex maps. Is something like this possible?

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
But, then everyone would have to get the modified MPQ files (since they obviously won't have the same files contained within the MPQ's as the mapmaker), which would actually slowdown the mapping process even further (since you have to acquire a huge file), so your testing phase would grind to a halt, publicising the map would be impossible, and so on, so forth

And, unless every mapper worked together (not likely), there would be huge numbers of variations on the MPQ's since everyone would use different models.

Theoretically, it might be possible, but it's not very practical IMO. And 4MB is enough - if you are an intelligent mapmaker, you will know exactly how to put it to good use.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.