Minimap switching

Handless

Reaction score
Hey,

Since none of my minimap questions before has been solved, i decided to post ask one more question about minimaps. This time it is pretty simple and the answer is probably just one word:

Can you switch the minimap while playing and/or have multiply minimaps in one map?

Thanks,
Handless

Sessional

Reaction score
The mini-map is exactly that, a mini-map. It displays a small version of EVERYTHING on the map, there is no way to change what it displays, all that you can do is add a picture, which you can't change in the game either.

Handless

Reaction score
Thanks.

So there is absolutely no way to show normal minimap in some parts of the map and black minimap in other parts?

Just wanna make sure before doing anything big..

Sessional

Reaction score
Not a single way to do it, blizzard doesn't allow us to modify the mini-map at all really. You get the picture, and that's it.

Silver

Reaction score
Well it is possible.
Maps like Pyramid Escape or Archmage Academy constantly switch what the minimap displays as they go to a new minimap. It's probably somewhere in the Camera or the Cinematic section, but I've never checked it out myself.

Handless

Reaction score
I just checked pyramid excape... And it really seems to be changing the minimap.

Does anyone have any idea how that is done?

jwallstone

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out how to do the same thing. I have the exact same issue as you, with the crazy minimap that comes from restricting camera bounds.

One idea, which I can't test until later tonight, is the function:
JASS:
native SetAltMinimapIcon            takes string iconPath returns nothing

It lets you specifiy a path to an icon, I believe for neutral buildings like shops. One possibility is to place a dummy neutral shop in the middle of each region to which you would want to restrict the camera. Then just specify a custom image file to fill up the whole minimap when you restrict the camera.

Legacyspy

Reaction score
I thought games like pyramid escape just change the camera bounds which in turn change the minimap.

jwallstone

Reaction score
That's the point. You make the icon a picture of how the minimap is supposed to look. If you want it all black, you make an entirely black image the size of the minimap and use this command to load it.

I saw what the other guy posted in the thread, but that obviously isn't going to work. You can't just set it to a nonexistent picture, that does nothing. You have to use an image the size that a minimap is supposed to be. Search around, there are tutorials on importing custom minimaps that will tell you what the size should be.

Is this going to cover up your units' dots on the minimap? I don't know. My impression was that you can still see units over the default neutral building icon in the normal game, so this may work. Give it a shot.

Handless

Reaction score
Im sorry if i misunderstood your idea, but..

I checked it already out and it isnt much of a use, i guess.
I mean, unless the icon is 16x16 it wont show, which really sucks.

And you need another function to turn the special icon on/off for the unit..

But thanks anyways!

Edit: you can find both of those functions in GUI, too. It's under the neutral building section..

jwallstone

Reaction score
No, you understood it right I think. Too bad it won't work for greater than 16x16. I didn't really know if it'd work, but it was an idea that popped into my head.

Sessional

Reaction score
I believe that a mini-map icon is a display that will show up on the mini-map instead of another specific thing. Such as the 'white dot' for you user owned peoples.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.