Music software?

moonrose

Reaction score
so my friend wants to get some music software for recording, editing, etc.
Does anyone know any good programs, free or ones that cost money.
he wants to buy a program called Sonar7.
its $500 and i want to check if theres something better cheaper, or free, before he gets it.

thanks

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
It depends on the magnitude of what they want to do. "Recording" and "editing" ranges from simple low-end solutions right up to multi-track effects-layered solutions.

Have you tried Audacity yet ? It's open source, so it's always a good start. The UI isn't the best, but it's quite good "under the hood".

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

moonrose

Reaction score
yeah we're looking for some pretty serious stuff. almost professional but a little amateur.
ill mess around with that audacity and what happens, thank you

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Audacity (above) can do basic editing.

Cubase is a highly advanced music editing software, but it's also pretty expensive.

FL Studio can edit songs to an extent, but people tend to use this for creating songs from scratch (you can import recordings, which I guess is a good thing), it's only $99 :).

Reason is also expensive, and like FL Studio, it's more for making music from scratch as opposed to mixing and editing songs, but it can still be done. This program is also pretty expensive in comparison with FL Studio.

Hope this helps :).

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score

Cokemonkey11

Reaction score
Audacity IMO has to be the best because it does everything you could really want for free.

You may also be interested in Melodyne's Direct Note Access Which is currently unreleased.

It's also very expensive...

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
Cubase is pretty high-end but my former drum teacher used it for his band. I'd try it if its in the financial range.

Sintoras

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.