mysql problems

alexho

Reaction score
hello, i have been stumped for a while with mysql and handling stuff. the inserting of data to tables in the correct databases and no DATA is shown, i have tried a lot but failed miserably. I don't know what i'm doing wrong it creates the databases when i call from php, same with the tables just inserting and manipulating data is stumping me hard, any suggestions :eek: are appreciated at this point.. :)

alexho

Reaction score
I don't think it is my code.. but here is my standard conn file which opens db and closes at the end, this makes me think is is valid to open up the db and close it at the very end or no? I usually see people opening up the single database and closing it within doing a small action with mysql.. And i know i am connected to mysql db itself, i require this conn.php file at the very top.

standard conn:
Code:
$hostn="nafndan";
$usern="ajizadgfafdgin";
$pwn="agfsnl1afdg325x";//pw
$dbname="ajizizoc_users";
//$sqlconn = 'SELECT * FROM `user` LIMIT 0, 30 '; 
$conn = mysql_connect('localhost', 'a658jiz880izzxcvoc', 'al1fdh5031843ebdndgfx') or die(mysql_error());
global $conn;

then inserted at VERY bottom closes mysql 
===================================================
//very bottom of the site
echo "</body></html>";
mysql_close($conn);
& again thanks, im trying to get INSERT to work: here is an example for "users":
mysql_query("INSERT INTO users (name, age, location, email, user, password, avatar, signature, posts, rank, lastlogin, datejoined, ip)
VALUES('$realname', '$age', '$location', '$email', '$name_usr', '$pass_usr', '$avatar', '$signature', '0', 'recruit', '$date', '$date', '$ip'")
or die(mysql_error());
^ i try to put this inside the 'users' table! but when i try to reference and pull up the table it says i have nothing in it.. by using the while($j<$numb_membs) {
$user_o=mysql_result($result,$j,"user"); while loop.
--sorry if im messy :banghead:

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
The snipped you posted there doesn't provide any useful hints to even guess where the problem could be coming from. Post actual code and the schema, not some vague description of what you think your code is doing.

Some general ideas, consider them common practice:
  • If possible, don't use the mysql functions, but at least mysqli or even better: PDO-MySQL extensions. mysql is outdated and doesn't support the additional features of newer MySQL releases.
  • Don't die(mysql_error()), but catch the error condition and display a generic and nice error page. You should not tell the users which DB error occurred, as it may leak sensitive information or just confuse them.
  • Use bind variables instead inserting PHP variables right a query. These sare you SQL injections attacks.
  • Your code is a mess and looks like straight copy-paste from the PHP documentation examples: a variable is declared global in the middle of a block, connection variables are defined, although mysql_connect() makes use of string constants. And that's only the first 6 lines of "code".

alexho

Reaction score
well thanks for the general ideas. I'd rather not post the entire script it would be to long, what i think is what i know for the rest, i am trying to get this to work, what else shall i show?
Code:
$query="SELECT * FROM $usersdb";
$result=mysql_query($query);
$numbrow=mysql_numrows($result);

while($j<$numbrow) {
$user_o=mysql_result($result,$j,"user");
$ava_o=mysql_result($result,$j,"avatar");
$sig_o=mysql_result($result,$j,"signature");
$loc=mysql_result($result,$j,"location");
$num_o=mysql_result($result,$j,"id");
$age_o=mysql_result($result,$j,"age");
$datej_o=mysql_result($result,$j,"datejoined");
$datel_o=mysql_result($result,$j,"lastlogin");

}
there is no result.
i am just trying to find out what could be the cause of it not writing to the table. I do not have any syntax errors, if i have any errors it would be the mysql how can i be direct if i dont know what to specify on?

enouwee

Reaction score
You think your script has problems with inserting data into the table, but you're posting code that actually reads from it. Assuming the mysql_result() works as intended, there is nothing really wrong with the snipped above, except it's extremely inefficient.

The documentation tells you not to use mysql_result, but the fetch functions, which are more efficient. It won't solve your problem, but at least you're not killing the DB with useless requests or transfers while debugging.

PHP:

$rows_fetched = 0;
if (($result = mysql_query($query)) !== false)
{
  while (($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) !== false)
  {
    print_r($row);
    ++$rows_fetched;
    # you'll get your fields in a [B]single[/B] call, as associative array:
    # $row['user'], $row['avatar'], ...
  }
}

alexho

Reaction score
yes that helps a great deal in efficiency just as other things i am aware of sql injection but that is processing input. What will solve my problem of reading/inserting data? I have already shown snippets but i don't know what you ask of.

-'code and the schema', not some vague description of what you think your code is doing.

? what schem'a, specify for the idiot.

enouwee

Reaction score
What will solve my problem of reading/inserting data? I have already shown snippets but i don't know what you ask of.
Either posting the code or adding debug (print "I AM HERE") statements inside your code to make sure that the INSERT instructions are really executed.

Given that MySQL isn't transaction-based (unless you explicitly tell it to), once you INSERT your data, it's immediately stored in the table, you don't have to COMMIT your changes as you have to do in i.e. Oracle. So my guess is that the query is never run because of a logic error in your PHP code.

what schem'a, specify for the idiot.
From Wikipedia:
In a relational database, the schema defines the tables, the fields in each table, and the relationships between fields and tables.

alexho

Reaction score
its not the script syntax, because it works and is valid php how can it not be if it works, so its the mysql if anything i will put everything i use snippets:
Code:
$ozza=1;
$query="SELECT * FROM users";
$result=mysql_query($query) or $ozza=0; echo "WILL install!<br>";
$rowz=mysql_num_rows($result);
if ($ozza==0 && $rowz==0) {
echo "<div id='success'>Installing system!.....$usersdb";

//users
mysql_select_db("ajizizoc_users") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_query("CREATE TABLE users(PRIMARY KEY(id), id INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, 
name VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL, 
age VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL, 
location VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL, 
email VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL, 
user VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL, 
password VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL, 
signature VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL, 
posts VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL, 
rank VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL, 
lastlogin VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL, 
datejoined VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL, 
ip VARCHAR(30) NOT NULL)");

echo "<p>Successfully installed $usersdb...
</div>";
}

mysql_query("INSERT INTO users (name, age, location, email, user, password, avatar, signature, posts, rank, lastlogin, datejoined, ip) 
VALUES('$realname', '$age', '$location', '$email', '$name_usr', '$pass_usr', '$avatar', '$signature', '0', 'recruit', '$date', '$date', '$ip'") 
or die(mysql_error()); 

//archive root for misc file notimportant works..
$f = fopen($memb_misc,"a");
fwrite($f,"\n".$name_usr.'misc');
fclose($f);
}
//misc file create
$f = fopen($usersetting.$name_usr.'misc.txt',"w");
fwrite($f,"$name_usr should change this..");
fclose($f);
}
i have other mysql stuff where it checks for the row # from a query specific for example a users name, if its 0 it passes, more than 0 after using a constant case ucwords it will be false and die. like this
Code:
register--

other things are check user input is put into correct case so it matches that in db which is stored in same strtolower and stuff is filtered out
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

echo "<div id='success'>Checking for pass....</a></div>";

$query="SELECT * FROM users WHERE password='$pass_usr'";
    if ($numbrow==0) {
while($j<$numbrow){
$nameok = true;
}
    }else {echo "<div id='success'>Password rejected, choose another password, not $pass_usr. And write it down.</div>"; $nameok = false; }

could it be since i am behind a router that ports are being blocked?

enouwee

Reaction score
Code:
$ozza=1;
$query="SELECT * FROM users";
$result=mysql_query($query) or $ozza=0; echo "WILL install!<br>";
$rowz=mysql_num_rows($result);
if ($ozza==0 && $rowz==0) {
echo "<div id='success'>Installing system!.....$usersdb";

//users
mysql_select_db("ajizizoc_users") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_query("CREATE TABLE users( [...] )");

echo "<p>Successfully installed $usersdb...
</div>";
}

You're retrieving the whole table just to see if it exists? Give it a try with 50000 entries. :rolleyes:

Check if mysql_list_tables might fit your needs and display an error message ("Our website is under maintenance and temporarily not available", rather than creating the table).

The installation scripts be run once, then destroyed and not lie within the docroot until the end of times.

Then: why are you selecting the DB after you ran the first query and why are you ignoring the return code of the create table query. Should the create fail, everything below will through fancy error messages.

Code:

What's this? Stray code from previous experiments? :rolleyes:

Code:
or die(mysql_error());

I hope that register_globals is turned off in your PHP configuration? :D

What does your table really look like in the database? As you're blindly inserting that data, what happens to duplicate rows (i.e. same "name" or "email", ...)?

Code:
echo "<div id='success'>Checking for pass....</a></div>";

$query="SELECT * FROM users WHERE password='$pass_usr'";
    if ($numbrow==0) {
while($j<$numbrow){
$nameok = true;
}
    }else {echo "<div id='success'>Password rejected, choose another password, not $pass_usr. And write it down.</div>"; $nameok = false; }

What about:
select count(1) from USERS where PASSWORD='$pass_usr'

From the security fiasco aside, that query will return either 0 or 1 rows. On zero rows, no password matched, on one row: someone guessed one of the existing passwords. You should consider encrypting your users' passwords.

So, two users can't have the same password? And all I have to know is one password in order to be able to log in?

That's cool, because I'm going to register the username again (you don't seem to be checking for it, nor does the DB enforce uniqueness) and give it the password I like. Result: by merely registering the user again, I can compromise all your accounts.

Good job. :rolleyes:

alexho

Reaction score
no.. i want it to match row to row password and match a found row password to the same row for the user. If they are inputting a random user and type a password of their own it won't match, use variable for row number and compare row number user name to password row num this should work to pinpoint the RIGHT row for the right users password/name. Who says i didnt encrypt the user passwords its dumb to keep them normal when its not hard to do do same encryption to input processes as stored and compare?..

for checking duplicates names and passwords to be unique i would do the same thing as you mentioned
'select count(1) from USERS where PASSWORD='$pass_usr''

i was thinking unique passwords with users should be good why have the same passwords in a table

JOKE lol well you were right and i had a feeling it was the mysql ill figure out and see if it works since there is crapped jammed all over and messy ill have to remove it

What's this? Stray code from previous experiments?
thats the junk i wish to have inserted into the database WHEN users register :eek::eek: important to me that it woprks:eek: i havent looked over the secuirty issues obviously because i haven't gotten that far with tables because mysql is bad in my script. encryption is important sha1 has its flaws or is it fine?

enouwee

Reaction score
no.. i want it to match row to row password and match a found row password to the same row for the user. If they are inputting a random user and type a password of their own it won't match, use variable for row number and compare row number user name to password row num this should work to pinpoint the RIGHT row for the right users password/name.

Well, that's not what your code is doing.

Why not just let the DB do the job:

Code:
select 1 from DUAL where exists (
  select 1 from USERS where NAME=? and PASSWORD=?
)

which are bound to $name and $pass_usr

To pin-point your "MySQL" problem, why don't you create a "test" table containing a single column and write a script, that:
  1. INSERT's a value into that table
  2. SELECT's that value and prints it
Just that, nothing else.

Assuming your script is correct and the insert still fails, you have a permissions problem on your database for that user. But I doubt it, as you'd be seeing a nice MySQL error because of your die().

As a side note: should $numbrow == 0, you'll end up in an infinite loop:
Code:
if ($numbrow==0) {
while($j<$numbrow){
$nameok = true;
}
    }else { [...]

alexho

Reaction score
thats what my code was doing before i changed it i didnt mean to do the while loop.. pinpointing would work i have tried doing that before in a simple script but it wouldnt insert or show any errors to tell me anything i dont know why...:confused: i will try it now

select 1 from USERS where NAME=? and PASSWORD=? would work well enough...... now security side of it escape string is not enough

relying on this select 1 for 1 or 0 is safe? you mentioned before something about the security part of it..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.