Sci/Tech Nanocups - Light-bending metamaterial could lead to superlenses, invisibility cloaks

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Researchers at Rice University have created a metamaterial that could light the way toward high-powered optics, ultra-efficient solar cells and even cloaking devices.

Naomi Halas, an award-winning pioneer in nanophotonics, and graduate student Nikolay Mirin created a material that collects light from any direction and emits it in a single direction. The material uses very tiny, cup-shaped particles called nanocups.

In a paper in the February issue of the journal Nano Letters, co-authors Halas and Mirin explain how they isolated nanocups to create light-bending nanoparticles.

In earlier research, Mirin had been trying to make a thin gold film with nano-sized holes when it occurred to him the knocked-out bits were worth investigating. Previous work on gold nanocups gave researchers a sense of their properties, but until Mirin's revelation, nobody had found a way to lock ensembles of isolated nanocups to preserve their matching orientation.

Last edited:

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Nanocups= A really small pair of breasts:p

That sounds actually interresting:)
I would like to have a invisibility cloak, and to test it, I would go into the womens lockerroom at some place and sit there for a few hours:p If that works, then it is really good:cool:

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
OK 13 years later where is my Invisibility Cloak? Freaking False Advertising if you ask me LOL!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.