New Athlon Mobo

A

anticonscience

i'm getting rid of my current asus/p3 500 mhz configuration and getting a 1.2ghz athlon..

can anyone recommend any good socket A mobo's for mainly gaming?

They have a sale at Fry's right now for a 1.2ghz athlon with a Tyan Trinity KT-A mobo for $219..Is that mobo any good?

Thanks.

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
VIA seems to have a problem with d2 all in all .
the mobo's with an intel chipset seem to run "better" but i dunno .

H

Hamhawk

You could try going DDR. Pick up one of the boards with the AMD 760 chipset and pick up some DDR memory.
Although I heartily suggest an ABIT KT7A,(Non DDR) I've managed to fix almost all my problems, my other computer has the exact same motherboard and hasn't had any problems whatsoever, and neither has another one of my computers with an A7V in it (same chipset) or the FIC AZ11 . One out of four had problems with D2. Not bad.

N

Nelson

Well heres my 2 cents....
I personally have an Asus K7V133 Mobo... with the Promise Raid controller.. runnin with a Tbird 1Ghz... and have had no probs with D2 or any other software that I could lay the blame on the Mobo or Chip.

If ya do go with the Asus.. using the via chipset.. make sure you use the latest Via 4-in-1 drivers... and the latest Promise Drivers.

so far I have purchased 3 Mobos for the Socket A type chip.. with 3 different chips.. 2 were Asus and one was Chaintech (The Chaintech was not for me.. but rather for a friend who was runnin a little strapped for cash.. but since I upgraded her.. I have not heard from her regarding any Computer probs... ), personally I prefer the Asus..

D

DrDdeth

I have not heard any thing about that board, but I have an Asus A7V with the via chipset and have had nothing but problems running D2.
I have tried all the fixxes (too many to list) and spent a lot of time and money replacing hardware. I am now down to replacing the MB. I have read countless problems with via based boards and D2, especially those with Sound Blaster Live! cards....and no the firmware and bios updates did not solve "my" problems.
Hope this helps

A

anticonscience

frown.gif

i've got nothing but lock ups on my current computer...so i was hoping this would solve the problem......it's a bit hard to find an athlon mobo that isn't via based.

and i don't have a sb live card...i have a sb 512

E

ElBobbo

I think that you might find the KT7A would be a lesser choice than an Epox 8K7A. The 8K7A is a DDR board, based on the AMD 761 chipset, so while you still may have a few problems with the 686B Southbridge, it will probably pose few problems.
The 8K7A is an extremely good board - and while I had an Abit KT7A, I definately recommend the 8K7A - also, you'll be able to upgrade from it more easily, because you'll have bought DDR SDRAM.

A

anticonscience

thanx for the suggestions..

after reading everything and doing some research i think i'm going to go with the Abit K7TA.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.