US News New Orleans Refugees - Help Needed at Astrodome

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
This just came across my desk so I figured I better post it. I have no affiliation with this at all - if you can help it would be appreciated. TheHelper.net is headquartered in Houston, TX.

-----------------

Dear Sir,

We desperately need a computer-savvy guy/gal with a wireless internet connection to go to the Super Dome or another area shelter where Katrina victims are, log on to -dead link removed-, and match the homeless in need of a place to stay to people who have listed their extra bedrooms/houses as available for free on that web site. (The site was started by moveon.org; I have no affiliation with them, I just posted my extra bedroom on the site, but can't figure out how to let the desperate people in the Houston area KNOW about the site so they can take advantage of these offers.) There are HUNDREDS of people who have listed free housing in teh Southeast on that site -- offers that can accomodate THOUSANDS of people. The sticking point is getting the word to the people in the Dome/shelters!!

I figure your organization just MIGHT be able to find a few guys/gals willing to BE THE LINK THAT SAVES SO MANY PEOPLE. I know it's not your usual job, but these are not usual times. Thanks for any help you can provide. I really really think you could make a big, big difference here, just by sharing your computer skills and internet connection with people really in need. THANKS!!

Last edited:

Sud

"[If life=Dota] I'd have quit long ago" -- Acehart
Reaction score
Wish I could go, but I live in Vancouver B.C. which might as well be on the other side of the world.

The cell phone towers are still operational to provide GPRS Internet? Are you sure TH? I know somethingawful.com had a New Orleans host and they've been knocked dead for two days. You would need a satellite connection and I don't know anyone who has a mobile satellite rig.

I assume the organization is going to be planning the transportation and security?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, what they did is Move the New Orleans Superdome refugees to the Houston Astrodome. They had a bunch of busses. So alot of the refugees are here in Houston now at the Astrodome and this letter is to try and help those at the Astrodome in Houston. Nothing wrong with the Cell Phone stuff here in Houston.

Sud

"[If life=Dota] I'd have quit long ago" -- Acehart
Reaction score
Nice, they finally got everyone shipped over eh?

Ground zero is not a good place to be in right now, especially with martial law finally being declared.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.