Noob questions from new map maker.. I've almost got an awesome map done

chimthegrim

Reaction score
Few questions I need help with:

1) So I've noticed when I go to test a map, it shows as a "test" map in the test file. And there is a little lock icon on the map file. How do you unlock the map so that it isn't invisible all the time?

2) Also, I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the X,Y animation button placement options. I have custom heroes with abilities in the wrong spot and I can't figure out how to get the abilities to place in the right spot. Any advice?

3) I moved the Troll Berserker "Berserk" ability to a Forest Troll Berserker custom unit, and the animation for the "berserk" ability does not show when activated (the bigger redder version of the troll). I can't figure out how to get it to show. I appreciate any help that you can offer.

4) I originally made my map as a custom map that is very similar to a melee map, just with only 2 races (Orc vs Hu), and with very few triggers for custom heroes being recognized. Yet, I am also making a different map that is fully made by me (the original map is made on a Blizzard melee map Ice Forge). I want to import the object editor of the first map to the new map I am making. Is there a way to do this? I tried but couldn't figure it out.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
1). what? do you mean in your operating system file browser, the file shows a lock icon?

2).
uniteditor1.jpg

As raw data "UnButtonpos"
"Art- Button Position - Turn Off (X)" Determines ability button position in column when ability is autocastable (4 columns, starting from left as 0, 1, 2, 3.).

As raw data "Unbuttonpos"
"Art- Button Position - Turn Off (Y)" Determines ability button position in row when ability is autocastable (3 rows, starting from up to down as 0, 1, 2.).
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=48088

4). this is possible using GMSI (http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=106485) - but it involves learning the GMSI scripting language

chimthegrim

Reaction score
1) yea, it shows a note and a lock. When I go to test the map it shows a "test" folder along with the "the frozen throne" and "download" folder. So it's like I can't see the map unless its in that test folder. And I can't get it to just show up normally.

2 & 4) Thanks a lot for that.

Anyone have know about #3?

Bo-Bo

Reaction score
4) Use "file -> export all object-data" in the object editor.
Then import it in the new map.

chimthegrim

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys! I've made a lot of improvements on my map because of your input.

I've been testing my map and I have a few more questions if you can help me out:

1) I created a custom ability with the base ability being Bloodlust. The only difference between this ability called "Haste" and Bloodlust is that it is a weaker version with a different name and icon, but I want it to be able to stack with Bloodlust on the same unit (it cancels bloodlust each time it is cast onto a unit). How can i get this to stack?

2) Is there a way to make the "storm hammers" ability more effective than it is? Can it hit like 3 or 4 units behind?

3) I've made a few custom heroes. One of them is using an "Ogre Lord" art model, and it looks cool, but it doesn't have the little color highlight at the feet of the hero like normal heroes have. Is there a way to get this team color highlight to appear below a custom hero?

4) The same Ogre Lord hero I just talked about has the ability to use chain lightning. The ability works great and looks cool and all, but he is shooting the lightning from his torso or it looks like he's shooting it from his private area--which isn't cool looking at all. How can I get his chain lightning to shoot from his arm? I know there is a way to do it but not sure how the numbering system works.

5) Also, does anyone know about the "lock" icon I've been talking about? I really can't figure out how to get rid of it so I can see the map outside the test folder when I go to test it.

Thanks a lot for the input so far

chimthegrim

Reaction score
please reply

I really need help on the folder showing up in my map list, so I can test it online. I haven't been able to test the map outside of myself playing computers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.