Sci/Tech Our world may be a giant hologram

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
DRIVING through the countryside south of Hanover, it would be easy to miss the GEO600 experiment. From the outside, it doesn't look much: in the corner of a field stands an assortment of boxy temporary buildings, from which two long trenches emerge, at a right angle to each other, covered with corrugated iron. Underneath the metal sheets, however, lies a detector that stretches for 600 metres.

For the past seven years, this German set-up has been looking for gravitational waves - ripples in space-time thrown off by super-dense astronomical objects such as neutron stars and black holes. GEO600 has not detected any gravitational waves so far, but it might inadvertently have made the most important discovery in physics for half a century.

For many months, the GEO600 team-members had been scratching their heads over inexplicable noise that is plaguing their giant detector. Then, out of the blue, a researcher approached them with an explanation. In fact, he had even predicted the noise before he knew they were detecting it. According to Craig Hogan, a physicist at the Fermilab particle physics lab in Batavia, Illinois, GEO600 has stumbled upon the fundamental limit of space-time - the point where space-time stops behaving like the smooth continuum Einstein described and instead dissolves into "grains", just as a newspaper photograph dissolves into dots as you zoom in. "It looks like GEO600 is being buffeted by the microscopic quantum convulsions of space-time," says Hogan.

If this doesn't blow your socks off, then Hogan, who has just been appointed director of Fermilab's Center for Particle Astrophysics, has an even bigger shock in store: "If the GEO600 result is what I suspect it is, then we are all living in a giant cosmic hologram."

Last edited:

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I know right!
But wait why would the machines make a movie about it? Wouldn't they know we would get suspicious?
By making one they make it seem impossible!

Actually, if you look zoom enough matter begins to look like "thought".

Mac Dre

Reaction score
Wait then whats a normal hologram? Is it a hologram on top of another hologram?

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Big deal!
Even if this was a holographic world... It really wouldn't change anything
It would alter the way science looks at the world, and we would attempt to crack this illusion.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
THAT...IS...SO...COOL!

and i never knew the big bang theory was fully proven before. thx for info +rep
edit: wow cant must spread

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
So reality is... we aren't even real... D=

kingbdogz

The Edge of Eternity is upon us.
Reaction score
So are we Condensed light in a form of a Solid? Us being a "Hologram" isn't very informative.

Jolly chap*

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if we're holograms. We can still feel things right? We still have family and friends ... it doesn't change a thing.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Whatever. My table's solid... and it's made of atoms.

Sk8-tEr

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if we're holograms. We can still feel things right? We still have family and friends ... it doesn't change a thing.

Exactly... The only point to (knowing we are in a hologram) is for some
dumb scientists to figure it out... in which case (if we ARE in a hologram) the people controlling us or the holgram makers would probably kill our hologram or something... just forget about this hologram thing

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
Atom is just a 4 letter word.
It is four combined letters that convey a sound we use to describe phenoma exhibited through experimentation.

We still do not really know what an atom is.
We can describe its properties and we can talk about what it might look like and where it may have came from and we can even give it a name.
But in all reality, we have no fucking clue.
After 2 centuries we still do not know what gravity is, or have an in depth knowledge of quantum mechanics.
Sure, we can describe the strength of gravity through Newton's laws, which is only accurate on larger scales, but unfortunatley, nature has dealt us a problem that may never be solved.
Maybe we do not have the capacity to fully understand the dynamics of the universe.

No matter how hard you try, you can't teach physics to a dog. Their brains simply are not wired to understand it.
How do you know that we have the capacity to comprehend the deepest dynamics of our existance.

Sk8-tEr

Reaction score
:p
even if we don't know anything, we can still live normally (forgetting this hologram thing) :D and maybe u can possibly teach physics to a dog ...
Maybe we just don't know how to teach them right
Use a T.V. to display the images then show it something
idk this philosophic stuff is kinda.... odd

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.