Random skills achieving process

Fobosus

Reaction score
Ok, so to begin:

My destination is to create a trigger, which gives three random basic skills to the hero once it is spawned. The 4th one is gonna be ulti (random as well).

If I count properly, there are 72 hero abilities (besides ultis).

I thought of making it one by one, using IF/THEN/ELSE beginning from condition Random=1 to Random=72 and then copying it twice. The triggers would happen one after one, so that the hero would receive 3 skills, BUT.

The problem is - doing like this, there appears a chance of hero getting 2 or 3 the same abilities. I want to avoid it, but don't really have idea how to.

Any suggestions? I'll be thankful to hear.

Fobosus

the_ideal

user title
Reaction score
Create a unit group array, from UnitGroup[1] to UnitGroup[72]. When a player selects a hero, add the hero to every unit group. (For every integer from 1 to 72, add hero to Unit Group[A]) Have each unit group correspond to an ability, and when a player gets an ability, remove them from that unit group. In the "random number from 1 to 72" trigger, add a condition that checks to see if the hero is in the unit group. If not, reroll.

crazyfanatic

Reaction score
Welcome to The Helper!

Now for your problem:
Make the trigger periodic and each period check if the unit has the ability that should be given. If so, run trigger again. If not, give next one or turn the trigger off.

Fobosus

Reaction score
Could you guys explain it little further? It looks I haven't understood at all and I'm doing something wrong. Tried both methods.
Code examples would be appreciated coz I still hardly got a clue, specially that Ive never used that Array variable before.

crazyfanatic

Reaction score
each 0.10 seconds of the game
Set (random) = random integer number between 1 and 72
If level of Skill[random] for (your unit) greater than 0 or skillsnumber(your player number) greater than 2
Then - actions
Do nothing
Else - actions
Give skill(random) to (your unit)
set (skillsnumber[your player number]) equal to (same integer)+ 1

Edit: Srry for the hand writing, not on my computer.

Fobosus

Reaction score
Ok, thank you, just what is the condition "skillsnumber(your player number) greater than 2" cuz I can't find anything like that; and the same to "set (skillsnumber[your player number]) equal to (same integer)+ 1" ?

Sorry for asking so many little questions, but I just can't deal with this by myself :S

crazyfanatic

Reaction score
the first one is integer comparsion from the conditions
The second one is set variable. The meaning is is if V is a variable A is array, so set V with array A = (V with array A) + 1

Edit: skillnumber is an integer variable with array, player number isthe array soyou can make it MPI

Dameon

"All the power in the world resides in the eyes"
Reaction score
This trigger should work for what you need. :)

Trigger:
  • For each (Integer Temp) from 1 to 3, do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Set AbilitySet = (Random integer number between 1 and 72)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • AbilitySet Equal to AbilityMem
        • Then - Actions
          • Set Temp = (Temp - 1)
        • Else - Actions
          • Unit - Add Ability[AbilitySet] to (Triggering unit)
          • Set AbilityMem = AbilitySet

crazyfanatic

Reaction score
so this trigger will run only 3 times and if the unit has the same skill it will give one skill less

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Note that the variable "skillsnumber" is an array and not a single variable. The brackets after it () indicate the position in that array.
Code:
skillsnumber[Player number]
  Name^    Position in Array^

Dameon, that trigger is flawed....for more than one reason.

Trigger:
  • Trigger 1
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
      • No_Given_Abilties Less than 3 -> Integer comparison
    • Actions
      • Set Random = (Random integer number between 1 and 72)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Abilities[Random] for <Your unit>) Greater than 0
        • Then - Actions
          • Else - Actions
            • Set No_Given_Abilities = No_Given_Abilities + 1 -> Arithmetic
            • Unit - Add Abilities[Random] to <Your unit>
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then actions) else do (Else actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • No_Given_Abilities Greater than or Equal to 3
        • Then - Actions
          • Trigger - Turn off (this trigger)
        • Else - Actions
          • Trigger - Run (this trigger) checking conditions

This should work....unless I made an error somewhere. You will need:

No_Given_Abilities -> Integer Variable
Abilities[ ] -> Ability array (Ability variable with Array checked and size 72)
Random -> Integer Variable

Note:
1) Freehand
2) Abilities[] needs to have the abilities stored in it's 72 locations.

Fobosus

Reaction score
It almost works, Moridin, thanks. I mean, if I launch warcraft and do a test game, random hero I get is always [13]kotg with always atribute bonus[2], bash[4] and roar[5]. Then when this hero is killed in a battle and I create a new one, which does not get abilities.

Also, if I open Warcraft normally, after the first command game shuts down, no error window, no anything, just shuts.

Im going to try to figure out what the case is, should you have any idea please tell me.

Edit: Ok, I have fixed it, somehow.

Thank you all for trying to solve my prob :) Your help was immediate :D

Edit2: Now it's like the spell giving trigger works only once. For further hero creations, it gives no spells. Im still working on it.

HappyPeasant

Reaction score
You could do it by setting each spell to its own variable as an array then just have it roll a random number between 0-73 then do it again excluding the last number.

Dameon

"All the power in the world resides in the eyes"
Reaction score
so this trigger will run only 3 times and if the unit has the same skill it will give one skill less

No it will give 3, I however meesed up on it a bit, it is a jass trick that will stop the loop from ending till you get your condtions meet. Give me a sec I will fix it and post a working demo for it.

Ok here you go, I didn't feel like making custom abilitys so I just use items instead. To get it to work for abilitys just replace the has item bolean to an interger checking if the level of the ability is greater then 0 for the unit.

Just walk on the grass, then walk off it drop and item of your choice and walk back on it.

Again sorry about the earlyer mistake with the loop :)

Trigger:
  • Untitled Trigger 001 Copy
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Region 000 <gen>
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer Temp) from 1 to 4, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set Random = (Random integer number between 1 and 3)
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • Temp Not equal to 4
              • ((Triggering unit) has an item of type Items[Random]) Not equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Hero - Create Items[Random] and give it to (Triggering unit)
            • Else - Actions
              • Set Temp = (Temp - 1)

Attachments

• Random Item.w3x
    16.7 KB · Views: 116

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
@ Fobosus: Am glad my trigger helped. Here's a bit of advice to get your respawn triggers working.

Firstly, alter the trigger slightly to this:

Trigger:
  • Trigger 1
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
      • No_Given_Abilties Less than 3 -> Integer comparison
    • Actions
      • Set Random = (Random integer number between 1 and 72)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Abilities[Random] for <Your unit>) Greater than 0
        • Then - Actions
          • Else - Actions
            • Set No_Given_Abilities = No_Given_Abilities + 1 -> Arithmetic
            • Unit - Add Abilities[Random] to <Your unit>
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then actions) else do (Else actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • No_Given_Abilities Greater than or Equal to 3
        • Then - Actions
          • Set No_Given_Abilities = 0
        • Else - Actions
          • Trigger - Run (this trigger) checking conditions

...and then in your respawn trigger (wherever you have it), AFTER you respawn the hero, add this action:

Trigger:
  • Trigger - Run (Trigger 1) checking conditions

Where Trigger 1 is the first trigger.

Hope that helped.

Edit: Btw, about the randoms not working in that case, it's because The world editor has preset "random" values that it uses in tests. For it to be actually random, you have to use WC3 to play it.

As for why it crashed...I'm not sure. Maybe an infinite loop somewhere in your triggers or a problem with your computer?

Fobosus

Reaction score
Well, the thing I actually lacked was the Set No_Given_Abilities=0 action. I wonder why I haven't figured it out myself, but thank you again :)

About the randoms - at the beginnings I was so confused with the random being the same that I even thought it's connected to the Friday the 13th, as the hero integer was 13 as well ^^

For now it's just what I wanted, everything working. If I have any further problems (which is unskippable), I'll post it here.

Fobosus

Edit: Ok, got stuck already. Action "Add skill points to hero" isn't working. I need the hero to have maximum skill points, as once he receives his skills, they are only level one and the hero does not even have a red plus. It might have something to do with skills removal in object editor - I cleared all heroes of their skills for obvious reason.

neckcuttabob

Reaction score
I made a hero a lot like this once. Except he changed abilities every 10 seconds, and if anyone reading that thinks its a good idea by all means do it it turns out pretty funny if you mess up though. This being the result of giving a hero avatar, using it and taking it away before it runs out, repeated many times over.

Heres what I did

First divide all of the abilities you want into 4 categories, I suggest;
1 Single target damage
2 Passive Buffs, Castable Buffs, Debuffs
3 AOEs, Summons, Healing
4 Ultimates

Make a custom spell for each of them, modify each spell to have 1 level with its highest values if you want them to be max level from the start, fix them up a bit as necessary.

Make separate triggers for each category of spells to add them by category. This method keeps them from having two of the same spell and keeps the character balanced.

Fobosus

Reaction score
Honestly, the point of this game is just for fun, so I don't mind hero getting 3 auras or 3 single target spells + finger of death ulti, although thank you for advices.

I wanted to rather avoid modifying all the standard spells that's why I asked. There must be way, isn't there?

P.S The avatar looks laughable :)

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Instead of giving the hero maximum skill points, couldn't you just set the level of each ability you give him to the max? That would achieve the same purpose and it would be much easier. Use:

Trigger:
  • Unit - Set Level of Ability for Unit

...action. It's at the VERRRY bottom of the unit actions list.

neckcuttabob

Reaction score
Honestly, the point of this game is just for fun, so I don't mind hero getting 3 auras or 3 single target spells + finger of death ulti, although thank you for advices.

I wanted to rather avoid modifying all the standard spells that's why I asked. There must be way, isn't there?

P.S The avatar looks laughable :)

If you think thats laughable you should have seen my rabbit map. The Red rabbit hero was 4 times normal rabbit size and shot cluster rockets. The Yellow rabbit hero shot a chain lightning that bounced to 100 targets and had a 99999 range. Oh but the best part... the best part was the rabbit workers. They were exactly like human workers except for 2 things;
1 They looked like rabbits and
2 They had a passive ability, whenever you killed a "Rabbit Worker" it would spawn not one, but TWO "Rabbit Worker"s. When they went through the forest and reached the ghouls harvesting wood of it took less than 30 seconds for enough rabbit workers to spawn for my computer to crash.

Fobosus

Reaction score
Right, I supposed I forgot about some action like this. Arigatou gozaimasu :)

Neckut, lol, I would like to see those rabbit workers in ladder ^^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +1
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.