recreating Storm's (from dota) old passive

seansucks

Reaction score
the skill where every few attacks storm would store up energy and then purge and damage in an area of the attacked unit.

except, i don't want purge and i don't want an aoe. i just want increased damage. i thought i had it figured out today, but i was wrong. i got this far.

event
a unit is attacked
condition
ability of attacking unit equal to Rage is greater than 0
action
set rage_build = rage_build + 1
if then else multiple functions
if
rage_build is equal to 5
then
create special effect of incinerate target overhead attacking unit

but then i don't know how to boost damage, and then remove the buff, and reset the variable back to zero and finally how to remove that special effect after the attack.

also another ability question. i created a spell based off evasion where there's a 10 % chance when the hero is attacked that a dummy is spawned and casts a spell similar to thunderclap. but for some reason, (even though ownership belongs to attacked unit) it damages allies and the hero that's attacked. how can i prevent that?
should i modify that in targets allowed only to air and enemy?

oh yeah, another question. i have another ability (a healing ability) that is triggered due to the fact that it heals based on your intelligence. but whenever the spell is self-cast on the hero portrait it doesn't have a cooldown or a mana cost, but when a unit is targeted, my own hero included it then uses a cooldown and manacost. how do i fix that?

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
event
a unit is attacked
condition
ability of attacking unit equal to Rage
level of Rage is greater than 0
action
set rage_build = rage_build + 1
if then else multiple functions
if
rage_build is equal to 5
then
set rage_build = 0
create special effect of incinerate target overhead attacking unit
order attacking unit to do 50 damage to attacked unit
remove buff from attacked unit
remove last created special effect

its all in the triggers

for the heal ability... do you want a manacost/cooldown at all or no? it looks like when it is on autocast, it doesn't use mana/cooldown, but when you manually do it, it uses it; am i right?

for the evasion/thunderclap ability, provide more detail

seansucks

Reaction score
but wait, will that reset the variable back to zero? otherwise it will just keep adding 1 to rage_build. and it will only occur once.

jig7c

Reaction score
yes, it'll go back to zero, and it'll start all over again

seansucks

Reaction score
oh wonderful, and if you could, can you shed some light on the two other questions i added in the first post?

and now that i'm reading the trigger.. i want to destroy the special effect when he attacks something. if i destroy the SFX right away it wont stick to him if he kills the enemy and moves onto another.

seansucks

Reaction score
event

for the heal ability... do you want a manacost/cooldown at all or no? it looks like when it is on autocast, it doesn't use mana/cooldown, but when you manually do it, it uses it; am i right?

for the evasion/thunderclap ability, provide more detail

okay, the heal ability SHOULD have a cooldown and mana cost. but when i target the hero's portrait it doesn't get a manacost or a cooldown. but only will it get that if i target outside of the UI.

and the evasion is just the base skill. the thunderclap ability is what the dummy unit casts. what happens is:

here's the cast. triggering the spell.
Trigger:
  • Electric Surge Cast
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
      • (Level of Electric Surge (Dummy) for (Attacked unit)) Greater than 0
      • (Random integer number between 1 and 100) Less than or equal to 10
    • Actions
      • Set clap_point = (Position of (Attacking unit))
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of (Attacked unit)) at clap_point facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add Electric Surge (Actual) to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Set level of Electric Surge (Actual) for (Last created unit) to 1
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Mountain King - Thunder Clap
      • Unit - Add a 0.50 second Water Elemental expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_clap_point)

and the damage.. here:
Trigger:
  • Electric Surge Damage
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Electric Surge (Actual)
    • Actions
      • Unit - Cause (Casting unit) to damage circular area after 0.00 seconds of radius 250.00 at (Position of (Last created unit)), dealing (10.00 + (1.50 x (Real((Intelligence of (Attacked unit) (Exclude bonuses)))))) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Lightning

jig7c

Reaction score
in your second trigger, you haven't declared "last created unit"
set a variable in your first trigger
set Clapper = casting unit
and then in your second trigger, use position of Clapper instead of "last created unit"

also, Electric Surge, does the hero's enemy have it, and if it is hero's enemy, every unit in the map needs to have it that is not ally with the hero's team, or the attacking hero has it?

seansucks

Reaction score
in your second trigger, you haven't declared "last created unit"
set a variable in your first trigger
set Clapper = casting unit
and then in your second trigger, use position of Clapper instead of "last created unit"

also, Electric Surge, does the hero's enemy have it, and if it is hero's enemy, every unit in the map needs to have it that is not ally with the hero's team, or the attacking hero has it?

wait. i don't understand. the last created unit is the dummy casting the spell.
it's in the first trigger. and i don't need a clapper position, since it's created at the point of the attacking unit. (atleast i think i don't need a clap position).
no, there are no enemy heroes. only regular units, only player hero's will be able to buy the ability (it's an rpg map.)

jig7c

Reaction score
wait. i don't understand. the last created unit is the dummy casting the spell.
it's in the first trigger. and i don't need a clapper position, since it's created at the point of the attacking unit. (atleast i think i don't need a clap position).
no, there are no enemy heroes. only regular units, only player hero's will be able to buy the ability (it's an rpg map.)

the last created unit is in your first trigger...
by the time your second trigger runs, other 10 trigger might have already ran, in which one of them could have created a unit... it could mess up the spell...
set clapper to the last created unit, which is your dummy unit...
Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of (Attacked unit)) at clap_point facing Default building facing degrees
Set Clapper = Last Created Unit
Unit - Add Electric Surge (Actual) to (Last created unit)

also change this from
(Level of Electric Surge (Dummy) for (Attacked unit)) Greater than 0
to
(Level of Electric Surge (Dummy) for (Attacking unit)) Greater than 0

seansucks

Reaction score
the last created unit is in your first trigger...
by the time your second trigger runs, other 10 trigger might have already ran, in which one of them could have created a unit... it could mess up the spell...
set clapper to the last created unit, which is your dummy unit...
Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of (Attacked unit)) at clap_point facing Default building facing degrees
Set Clapper = Last Created Unit
Unit - Add Electric Surge (Actual) to (Last created unit)

also change this from
(Level of Electric Surge (Dummy) for (Attacked unit)) Greater than 0
to
(Level of Electric Surge (Dummy) for (Attacking unit)) Greater than 0

i see i see.
but why would i change it to the attacking unit? because it's a defensive spell, not offensive. it happens when i'm being attacked i don't want it to go off when i attack.
just clarifying this is apart from the rage spell.

also, i still need to figure out why my own hero is damaged from his own ability from this clap.
another thing, can i remove the slam animation somehow that makes the terrain lower a bit when the spell is cast? i removed all animations and buffs from it so i don't know why it's still doing it.

any idea why the heal trigger isn't using a cooldown and manacost when i target my portrait?

simonake

Reaction score
Wich of the one you want?, The old or the new one?
Here's for the old one
Trigger:
  • Rage
    • Events
      • Unit is attacked
    • Conditions
      • (Attacking unit) Equal to Storm)
    • Actions
      • Set Rage = (Rage + 1)
      • If (Conditions), do (Actions), else (Actions)
        • If -
          • Rage Equal to 5
        • Then -
          • Set TempLoc = Position of (Attacked unit)
          • Set Rage = 0
          • Special effect - Create a special effect at TempLoc using Abilities\Spells\Human\ThunderClap\ThunderClapCaster.mdl
          • Unit - Cause (Attacking unit) to damage TempLoc of radius 200 etc...
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation( udg_TempLoc )
          • Else -

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.